Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Truss rod screw loose and still not enough bow

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Silverburst 
#1 · (Edited)
This guitar came in this week, and the neck was about straight as an arrow, so I wanted to loosen the truss rod a bit to get some more clearance. I noticed it was already very loose, and when loosening it some more just felt like screwing a screw out with no resistance at all. I prefer 4 springs in the back because it tends to give a more stable tuning so I did add 1 string to the 3-in-arrow that were in. I did get a tiny bit clearance, but not enough to be good. It is stringed with 10-46 and that's what I like as well so I would prefer to keep that gauge.

I made sure it was a loose as it could get and let it rest for a few days, but alas, no extra clearance.

What could I do to gain a little extra bow ? I was thinking of putting extra tension on the neck by screwing the string-plate screw in as far as possible, making the floyd pull, and leave it a few days like that, but my guess was that once I put them back in balancen the neck would restore itself a few days later.

#2 ·
For single action truss rods there should be some bow when the truss rod tension is released. Otherwise it's considered a bad neck (if it's new guitar, exchange it for another). A qualified tech can induce bow by applying heat to the fingerboard - which softens the glue joint between it and the maple back - at which point bow is created using clamps. The neck is then allowed to cool back into its new, bowed shape. It's an extreme solution, but it does work.

#3 ·
BJR is right... been there, done that! It is fixable, but make sure to take it to a reputable guitar tech. The glue has to be heated and the neck bent slowly as the glue re-dries. The guitar tech used a neck heater and the right clamps and had to adjust it a little at a time until it was fixed (mine took over a week following.) Happy to report, there is now tension on the truss rod and everything is the way it should have been.

#5 ·
What could I do to gain a little extra bow ? I was thinking of putting extra tension on the neck by screwing the string-plate screw in as far as possible, making the floyd pull, and leave it a few days like that, but my guess was that once I put them back in balancen the neck would restore itself a few days later.
The quick thing to do is take the neck off and stand on it. Depending on your weight I suppose, maybe one foot. I have an old Ibanez Roadstar neck that, when I tighten the rod, then back it off it sticks in the tightened position. So I stand on it and it gives. Although, this is a beefier neck and I weigh 130lbs.

If you're too timid for standing, maybe take the neck off and give it a quick push with your arms while it's flat on the ground, using your upper body.

When I stand on it I have the head stock and heel raised up a little with blocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.