ZR Tremolo Problem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

ZR Tremolo Problem

Hello, I've joined this forum because of the many great things said about this place!
I'm seeking help on a problem I've got with my S470 (w/ZR tremolo system) and I thought that this might be the best place to come since the Ibanez forums are very quiet at the moment.

I've had my S series S470 for nearly 4 years now, however, the ZR trem is becoming stiffer and stiffer everytime I use it, this has only came on recently since I cleaned the bridge up a couple of weeks ago, removed it, then put it back into the guitar.

It's got to the point now where I have to apply a large force to dive bomb or to pull the bar up. I'm using Daddario 9's (the only brand and gauge of strings I've used since I first got it) and the tremolo is perfectly straight to the body. It doesn't have the Zero point system in place - in other words, i've had it in a floating set up since I bought it.

I noticed the other day that when I turn the whammy bar perpendicular to the bridge (rather than the proper way which is parallel to the strings) and then used it, there is a clunking noise from within the bridge and the bridge posts move ever so slightly, and the tremolo system goes back to being smooth! But then it goes back to being stiff once I use it again.

This is really getting me down, it's the only guitar I use now since I like it so much!

It's a very bizzare problem and I would love to hear any possible solutions, they will all be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Shep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 02:21 PM

Re: ZR Tremolo Problem

springs binding where they go into the block? Loose bridge posts?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, are new springs the answer? I thought the springs might have been the problem at the beginning, but i cant find anywhere which will sell ZR springs as they are unique from standard trem springs!!

Ill take the trem out again tonight and will try and fix those loose bridge posts.

Thanks again
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:39 PM

The springs will become looser with age..NOT tighter. Something is binding on you. Probably loose trem posts causing alot of friction at the knife edges. Are you hearing pop sounds sometimes or alot when using the trem?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

There was popping noises when i turned the tremolo arm towards the ground and used it. Other than that, no. I think the loose trem posts are the biggest culprit now, is there anyway to fix loose trem posts?

Edit: May I also say that the ZR trems have no knife edges, it's all on ball-bearings
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 11:22 PM

take it off and check out the ball bearings maybe, they could be dirty or warped.
That would be my guess

Tags
bridge posts , zr tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode