Ibanez, if you only read one thread here make it this one !! - Page 7 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:48 PM

Re: Ibanez, if you only read one thread here make it this one !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak Hosono View Post
Dear Sir, I've asked exactly the very same question to Hoshino Gakki engineer and he told me two reasons.
#1 Not very many people use the stud locking system. (just like our Custom shop guys do! we don't use them very much),
I would have to say that the engineers do not know their customer base very well [there's a shock]. I buy guitars from a very broad section of society and the majority [not "not very many"] have the studs locked when they arrive, meaning their owners knew and used them.

Quote:
#2 Some people break off the studs heads because they forgot about locking screws are holding the studs.
Best Regards,
Which means you get extra parts sales from the noobs that don't know until they break one, and then after they break one obviously they know.

With the studs installed everybody can reap their benefits, without them, nobody can, until you do the mod to install them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 10:16 PM

Perhaps have the inserts with the bottoms like the locking studs do (not hollow). Then people could buy the locking studs if they wanted without having to change out the stud inserts too.
post #93 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantoms View Post
Perhaps have the inserts with the bottoms like the locking studs do (not hollow). Then people could buy the locking studs if they wanted without having to change out the stud inserts too.
that would be a really good idea
post #94 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantoms View Post
Problem solved.

I am going to have to jump on this as well. Please bring back the locking studs.
post #95 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 PM

Please, please, please bring back the locking studs. They make a world of difference to people who love Ibanez Edge trems.
post #96 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Regarding #2 you can have a simple hang tag attached to the studs... with a picture and explaination to use the WRENCH to loosen the stud. few pennies per axe. i'm sure the people here could design a simple card within hours. Thanks... glen
they should have had that from the begining, i reckon
post #97 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Dear Sir, I've asked exactly the very same question to Hoshino Gakki engineer and he told me two reasons.
#1 Not very many people use the stud locking system. (just like our Custom shop guys do! we don't use them very much)
#2 Some people break off the studs heads because they forgot about locking screws are holding the studs.
Best Regards,
Dear Mr. Hosono,

I respectfully submit that the locking studs are an essential part to the correct functioning of the tremolo system.
#1 Everyone who uses the Edge Pro system *should* use the locks in order to minimize tuning issues
#2 So you'll sell spare parts. It's something that should be in the manual anyway.

I would go further and say that although the slides that lock the string are an excelent idea (it prevents losing the insert blocks as happened in the older models) however the red plastic parts in which the ball ends are supposed to sit are worthless. They are prone to breaking and in the end, I cut the ball ends anyway (or rather, I use the string backwards and have the ball end on the headstock side). The trems can easilly do without these plastic parts and really should be replaced with the locking studs - a far more valuable improvement to the trem.

From a customers point of view; I have no interest in buying an Ibanez without proper locking studs and I'm not likely to jump to all sorts of hoops to make an essential part of the guitar work correctly as that is something I should expect to be correct from the factory. Just as I won't buy a new car in which I first need to install a steering wheel before I can use it - it makes no sense.

I'm sure that you can see from the responses here that this is a critical point. I'm also sure that we would be happy to explain to the engineer in question all the benefits of the locks and the results from the lack of these parts from 'the field'.

What can we and you do to ensure that Ibanez trems can be enjoyed in the future?

Thanks for listning to us and I and many others would absolutely be thrilled if you can help us bringing back the so much desired quality of these trems!

Sincerely,
Jeroen
post #98 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 06:15 AM

as far as i'm a huge fan of the stud-locks, and as far as i would love to see them back again, i can say that what Mr.Tak said is totally true. i'm a local setup guy and i can say that 9 on 10 Ibanez that ppl bring me do NOT have the locking studs locked. i don't know weather Rich's customers are more ackowledged or what, but that's what i see everyday. now, the fault it's not completely theirs because, sure, they should read the users manual but actually it's not something that a guitar player could ever expecting (i mean the stud to be opened when lowering the action), also nobody told them about. and i'm talking about just those who have bought the guitar new, which are the 20% of all of the Ibanez players i see (i'm not a reseller/dealer). i think that Rich is the ONLY guy in the planet who tells their customers about the locking studs. go expecting a standard dealer to do that when you're buying a new Ibanez from him... it will never happen, and if you ask them, they'll look at you like you'd shoot'em.
that said, and reading what Mr.Tak said about some LACS ppl breaking studs (which is jaw-falling), i think no one can blame a "normal" Ibanez player to break the stud-locks. that's why i think the Ibanez engineers are totally right from their point of view, and that's why i'm with Glen about the warning card idea, exactly like they already do for the SAs with the True Duo Bucker system. or they could just design them so that the stud-locks can be inserted from above, and selling guitars with the stud-locks not inserted. so that if the customer wants (and knows about) can put them in the studs, and if he doesn't know he wouldn't break anything.

even though what i said... PLEASE IBANEZ, BRING BACK THE STUD-LOCKS!
post #99 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 11:00 AM

When I bought my first Ibanez over 16 years ago I was a young lad. Even then I knew to read the owner's manual before adjusting my guitar. It was then I learned about the locking studs and have never had a problem since.

You can't make everything idiot proof.

Though I can see were people would break them. I have always suspected that's why they were removed from the newer trems. Thanks for the verification. My vote goes for stud locks.

For the people that break them...Learn how to read. j/k
post #100 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Tak, with respect to the "engineer" can you please rethink this ASAP. That answer does not address your customers nor the vast majority of enthusiasts such as the forum members here.

It is a critical omission and one that has brought alot of negative press and attention to Ibanez. Endorsed artists have guitar techs and paid staff to worry about the little things. You can always "not use them" by not locking them and choice is good.

Regarding #2 you can have a simple hang tag attached to the studs... with a picture and explaination to use the WRENCH to loosen the stud. few pennies per axe. i'm sure the people here could design a simple card within hours. Thanks... glen
+1

Regards

André
post #101 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 01:54 PM

It's quite clear that everyone and their mother want locking studs. Do we need to start some kind of petition for it to sink in?
post #102 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeflux View Post
It's quite clear that everyone and their mother want locking studs. Do we need to start some kind of petition for it to sink in?
We have been barking up that tree for years.

Regards

André
post #103 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 03:14 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: Ibanez, if you only read one thread here make it this one !!

Mr. Hosono,

I have recently acquired a JS2PRM as my first Ibanez guitar and couldn't be happier. I have been a long time Fender user and I like their instruments but it was time to move on. My suggestion would be the following: Ibanez should make "The Snake" for the next iteration of the Joe Satriani Signature model? I believe everyone who owns a Joe Satriani guitar would like a new graphic JS. Also, instead of making it as a "special order item only" like the old graphic models (donnie, etc.), Ibanez should make it a regular production run instrument and retire the JS1000BP.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jimmy :-)
post #104 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 03:14 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: Ibanez, if you only read one thread here make it this one !!

Mr. Hosono,

I have recently acquired a JS2PRM as my first Ibanez guitar and couldn't be happier. I have been a long time Fender user and I like their instruments but it was time to move on. My suggestion would be the following: Ibanez should make "The Snake" for the next iteration of the Joe Satriani Signature model? I believe everyone who owns a Joe Satriani guitar would like a new graphic JS. Also, instead of making it as a "special order item only" like the old graphic models (donnie, etc.), Ibanez should make it a regular production run instrument and retire the JS1000BP.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jimmy :-)
post #105 of 323 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Ibanez V.I.P.

Dear Glen and Nuno, okay let me start over one more time regarding to Edge Pro's stud bolts. Hoshino Gakki's chief engineer gave me a long explanation and technical data leading to these new "non locking" stud bolts design. I don't want go through every small details and reasonings because simply too long and probably boring. Basically is this:
#1 Some Lo Pro Edge owners does break these locking studs because either they don't realize the locking screws were already set or lock screws were completely rusted and frozen shut. When this happens creates a warranty issues for HUSA.
I'm sure that 99% of Jem site people are well aware of these little screws inside of the locking studs but rest of the world are not likely so.
#2 When the guitars were tuned to A-440 with light gage strings, these tremolo studs held up with somewhere around 200 lbs of string pressure, under that much of pressure these tremolo studs will not move anyways.
Hoshino Gakki's R&D team did a lot of home work regarding this issue. I know that some of you does not agree with our R&D team's findings but this is what they were concluded. However I personally agree with the Jem site's Glen that it is a good idea to keep the "locking studs" anyways so that Edge Pro owners have a choice.
Here's a bit of good news for you guys. R&D chief told me that Edge Pro tremolo project is "on going and evolving" and he promised to revisit this locking tremolo studs issue very soon. He's a good friend of mine and he's very much like one of us "guitar crazy" so let's wait to see what happens.
Okay guys? Please remember that I'm on your side. Best Regards,

Tags
air norton , alex skolnick , allen wrench , basswood body , candy apple red , chrome vine , custom exotic wood , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom ibanez , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dave mustaine , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio pups , dimarzio super distortion , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tone zone , dot inlay , dot inlays , duncan pickups , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , edge bridge , edge intonation tool , edge pro trem , edge pro tremolo , edge trem , edge trems , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , flamed maple , floyd rose , fret inlay , fret neck , gotoh tuners , guitar tech , heel neck , hoshino gakki , hoshino usa , ibanez catalog , ibanez custom shop , ibanez edge trem , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , ibanez pickups , ibanez trem , intonation tool , jack socket , jeff beck , jim donahue , joe satriani , lock nut , locking nut , locking nuts , locking stud , locking studs , locking tremolo , mahogany body , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , maple necks , neck joint , neck pockets , neck tenon , neck thru , offset dot inlays , paf pro , paul gilbert , pickup selector switch , piezo bridge , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , pro edge , pro edge bridge , pro tremolo , production model , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks , reversed headstock , road flare red , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , rusty cooley , rusty cooley dean , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups , shark tooth inlays , sharkfin inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , shawn lane , signature guitar , sperzel tuners , string guitars , string tension , sunburst finish , super distortion , swamp ash , toggle switch , tone zone , tremolo bridge , tremolo system , tube amp , usa custom exotic wood , usa custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode