<back   Jemsite > Buy, Sell or Trade > Comments to Ibanez

Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 AM

Shark Fin and Shark Tooth inlays

I'll be upfront, I LOVE shark fin and shark tooth inlays. I have no idea if other Ibanez fans agree or not, maybe everyone else just thinks their gaudy throw-backs to the 80s. I disagree. I think those fins and teeth serve as a powerful element of product differentiation. You will never find such inlays on any guitar branded as Fender or Gibson.

I've noticed, however, that true sharks are only found on lower-end models and reissues. The Prestige models have the ghost sharks. I like my ghost sharks, but they're just not the same as the real deal!

Jackson puts MOP real sharks on their USA models, why can't Ibanez do the same on Prestige guitars? Playing an Ibanez or Jackson practically screams "I like playing a guitar intended for a genre of music isn't likely to top the pop charts", no matter what you're actually playing on it. I can't imagine that sharks would all of a sudden make a loyal Ibanez player go start playing a PRS, or vice versa.

So...more real shark fin and teeth inlays on Prestige guitars, please?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Re: Shark Fin and Shark Tooth inlays

I'm completely the opposite. I've always hated sharkfin and sharktoof inlays. I've always thought they're replacing too much wood with plastic.

That being said, I'd love to see it as an option on more guitars. Options are good.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:00 PM

No more wood replaced than vines and pyramids, IMO. Then again, you may be a dot inlay person.

The inlays don't have to be plastic. MOP/Abalone looks good on rosewood and ebony. Ebony sharks look killer on maple, and you're replacing wood with wood!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 PM

I actually am a dot inlay/no inlay guy. With binding. Yum.

But no worries, I agree with you. I think options are good, not everyone likes the same thing.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Yes please. I've also noticed that the only high-end Ibanez still available with shark teeth is the PGM reissue, which is way out of my price range.

Actually, the two most important features on my "dream Ibanez" are shark teeth and lo-pro edge.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:16 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
maybe everyone else just thinks their gaudy throw-backs to the 80s.
Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post
I'm completely the opposite. I've always hated sharkfin and sharktoof inlays. I've always thought they're replacing too much wood with plastic.
Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post
I actually am a dot inlay/no inlay guy. With binding. Yum.
Yes...
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikosaed View Post
Yes please. I've also noticed that the only high-end Ibanez still available with shark teeth is the PGM reissue, which is way out of my price range.

Actually, the two most important features on my "dream Ibanez" are shark teeth and lo-pro edge.
RG770DX

besides that fins/teeth are mostly associated with jacksons
Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 PM

Reviews: 2

Sharktooth inlays don't bother me, but I'd prefer another inlay. I feel they scream "play some metal on me!!!" when you look at them. The new inlay on the new rga series look much better IMO. And somebody get rid of the pathetic inlay on the new 24-frets Sabers, please (again, it's my opinion).
Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 PM

I didn't know we were getting to pick inlays! In that case, there are inlays I'd rather have over shark fins, but those inlays are just not going to happen unless we're talking custom guitar or maybe Warmoth parts. Every inlay has its appeal, but there's just so much room for personalization possible. Steve Vai has pyramids that disappear. Kirk Hammet has his skulls and cross bones. Anyone remember the Ritchie Sambora signature strat from a few years back? It had star inlays with 2 smaller ones at the 12th fret, always thought that looked cool. Even Herman Li does something different with his ovals.

Since Ibanez isn't nice enough to allow me to dream up my own, I'm willing to go with an inlay I really like that they're already comfortable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanized View Post

besides that fins/teeth are mostly associated with jacksons
Technically, Jackson has shark fins. When I think of Ibanez, its usually shark teeth, the jagged ones with two points.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 AM

As i said get a 770
Old 02-02-2010, 02:39 AM

Yeah I love my 1991 Black 770 with the sharkteeth inlays and white binding. Just looking at it makes me want to shred.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 AM

Reviews: 1

I'm another one who loves the sharkteeth inlay. I do find it surprising that one of Ibanez's most distinctive inlays is now the herald of mid and lower price guitars.

I recall when you saw sharkteeth, you knew someone had sprung for something more than a regular 550 like the rest of the guys. That guy, yeah, he was a SERIOUS shredder!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 AM

Yep I love Sharkies as well. I do wish that Ibanez would release a new cool inlay design ala 'Tree of Life', Pyramids etc.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 AM

Are they a gaudy throw-back to the 80's?

Yes!

Is this a bad thing?

No!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanized View Post
As i said get a 770
Read and comprehend the OP. I'm not happy with reissues and PGMs, I want this as a standard feature on some new Prestiges.

Tags
fin, inlay, shark, teeth, tooth

Show/Hide Posting Rules