Help: What to know for this style - Jemsite
Guitar Lessons & Music Theory Post any type of guitar or music lessons, theory and other learning methods.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Help: What to know for this style

What kind of stuff should i get really good at to be really good at instrumental melodic (Satriani and Vai style)? I was thinking being excellent at all the modal scales and chord theory, etc. What do you guys think? What are some books that might be great? Let me know. I really want to get great at this style. By the way what excactly is the style called? Instrumental melodic is just a guess...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lee
"To know is not enough. We must apply.
We must not only will. We must do."
Learn these to the extreme:
-Ear training
-Play alot with other people. Gig whenever you can.
-All the modes, scales, and arpeggios (also 5-part) from major, melodic minor, harmonic minor and harmonic major
-Technique
-Transcribe a couple of hundred solos and learn them: Jazz, Zappa, all your favourite shredders and Holdsworth
-About 300 songs: Jazz, rock, classical.
-Digest the Slonimsky book
-Learn everything in Goodrick's The Advancing Guitarist
-Find your very own voice and style

That should do the trick. See you in the next world!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lee
"To know is not enough. We must apply.
We must not only will. We must do."
Learn these to the extreme:
-Ear training
-Play alot with other people. Gig whenever you can.
-All the modes, scales, and arpeggios (also 5-part) from major, melodic minor, harmonic minor and harmonic major
-Technique
-Transcribe a couple of hundred solos and learn them: Jazz, Zappa, all your favourite shredders and Holdsworth
-About 300 songs: Jazz, rock, classical.
-Digest the Slonimsky book
-Learn everything in Goodrick's The Advancing Guitarist
-Find your very own voice and style

That should do the trick. See you in the next world!
Yeah i didnt say i wanted to be as good as vai... WOA!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:37 AM

That list may be slightly exaggerated, but somewhere between the lines lies the par.

To me, par is Ribot, Björkenheim, Henderson, Krantz. Below that level, it's a sub-par accomplishment. If and when you reach the par, you keep pushing.

Just start doing the stuff, and you'll get somewhere. All the things mentioned I've done to some extent, and I believe they've helped me going ahead. I really recommend learning how to read music and transcribing to standard notation. They open up so many doors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode