<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Guitar Lessons & Music Theory

Guitar Lessons & Music Theory Post any type of guitar or music lessons, theory and other learning methods.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 PM

I need advice for sweep picking

Hey guys, long time reader here just registered.

I keep practicing some exercises but I can't get very fast.

Are there any tricks I must know to increase my speed?

I am not a fast player but I'd like to get my sweep picking to a decent level I have many problems specially with 5/6 strings sweeps.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 AM

Re: I need advice for sweep picking

First you must spend a few hours in Casa Batlló. The organic, fluid architecture will prepare you for sweep picking.

Then take a cord and play it sweeping up releasing each note after its played, start slowly and gradually pick up speed until its smooth. Sweeping is more about the release in the left hand.

Dont take Gaudi for granted....he will help you.

~JH
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM

You know, sweep doesn't just mean hand going up and down. It's like
..........-........-..............
........-..........-.......
......-..........-.........
.....-..........-..........
......-......-..........
........-................
Edit... damn forum format doesn't show spaces....

You must use metronome. Start slowly, like at 60 and every sweep may take one click then, get faster as you start to play cleaner. How you curve your wrist is important.
Think like when alternate picking, inside of your hand looks directly to the string you play. While sweeping, same thing with like a 50 ms delay. You also can also use some kind of band at the point where the headstock meets the fingerboard to mute the strings you don't play. It helps at the beginning. Also, a lower string profile helps.

Last edited by Cemges; 02-04-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:08 PM

I don't sweep very often, but when I do, I angle the pick slightly so it drags across the string. works for me.. drag down, drag up.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 AM

Reviews: 34

Start with softer picks.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Start with softer picks.
I seriously doubt that softer picks will make it worse. It can be easy to get harmonics and sweep with softer picks, but they don't help with the other parts of playing, like rhytm. So I recommend that you use your favourite pick for everything. Btw, Dunlop Jazz III is one of the most lowed picks, and it's certainly awesome for both normal rhytm, sweep, and soloing... Whereas i find it to be a littke week for harmonics and for strumming. My favourite pick is an ESP pick that a friend gave me once, and it certainly is more pleasant to me then any other pick. Dunlop big stubbies are also lowed a lot, but not for me...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM

Others have said it already. Here's what I do when I want to brush up on my sweeping (although I don't do much straight full 5 or 6 string sweeps)...

1. Get the pattern/sequence under your fingers of what you are playing. (And understand the theory and application of what you're doing.)
2. Start off around maybe 100 BPM on your metronome and use each beat as a 1/4 note, play along until it is perfectly fluid and accurate (albeit slow).
3. Increase tempo and repeat step 2. (At a certain point you will want to treat each beat as an 1/8th note).

Ignore comments about switching picks or modifying your toolset. Play with the tools you have and are comfortable with.

Improve accuracy by playing with a clean setting without any effects. Effects are the bigger part of that equation. I normally practice with a clean dry setting and/or without being plugged in.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Rtt534#t=8220s

His view on legato moves into sweeping, worth a listen.

Last edited by The Euphor; 02-05-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrecordholder View Post
First you must spend a few hours in Casa Batlló. The organic, fluid architecture will prepare you for sweep picking.

Then take a cord and play it sweeping up releasing each note after its played, start slowly and gradually pick up speed until its smooth. Sweeping is more about the release in the left hand.

Dont take Gaudi for granted....he will help you.

~JH
You know Barcelona very well. I live next to the Park Güell and I love Gaudi.

Thanks for the advice and come back soon.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothwiring View Post
Others have said it already. Here's what I do when I want to brush up on my sweeping (although I don't do much straight full 5 or 6 string sweeps)...

1. Get the pattern/sequence under your fingers of what you are playing. (And understand the theory and application of what you're doing.)
2. Start off around maybe 100 BPM on your metronome and use each beat as a 1/4 note, play along until it is perfectly fluid and accurate (albeit slow).
3. Increase tempo and repeat step 2. (At a certain point you will want to treat each beat as an 1/8th note).

Ignore comments about switching picks or modifying your toolset. Play with the tools you have and are comfortable with.

Improve accuracy by playing with a clean setting without any effects. Effects are the bigger part of that equation. I normally practice with a clean dry setting and/or without being plugged in.
I usually play with a heavy pick(black dunlop), and practice usually unplugged.

One of my mistakes was the pick angle at least I think so.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post

His view on legato moves into sweeping, worth a listen.
Cool, I like Cristophe Godin.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:16 PM

Practice very very slow and... patience , try some Gambale´s exercises.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:28 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I don't sweep very often, but when I do, I angle the pick slightly so it drags across the string. works for me.. drag down, drag up.
This ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by clothwiring View Post

And This ^^
Use the tools that you are used to
Old 11-08-2013, 05:27 PM

Thanks for bumping this thread. I'm going to start learning to play Stratovarius' Hold on to your dreams soon and there is a sweep part in there so this advice will help me prepare for the challenge
Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Thanks for bumping this thread. I'm going to start learning to play Stratovarius' Hold on to your dreams soon and there is a sweep part in there so this advice will help me prepare for the challenge
Good luck...
I know sweep picking is hard to do I'm right there with ya

Tags
picking, speed, sweep

Show/Hide Posting Rules