<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Guitar Lessons & Music Theory

Guitar Lessons & Music Theory Post any type of guitar or music lessons, theory and other learning methods.

Old 01-23-2003, 02:41 PM

Need help with some parts of my technique!

Howdy all!

I feel that im a pretty solid guitarist for how long i have been playing...i pick up on theory/songs/new material fairly quick, and I have most of the basic techniques down pretty solid...

However, there are a few things that are really getting me down. My hammer-on legato is fine, but pull offs can sometimes be really difficult. I have tried various exercises to try and help me with this, but nothing is really working...could it be my technique is flawed?

Also, I have some strech issues. I wasnt able to do that "live long and prosper thing" until i played guitar for a while(still cant do it on the picking hand), so Im thinking my natural finger independence is pretty bad. My 2-3 and 3-4 finger streches are pretty horrible...it's not like I have small hands or anything, its just not coming together.

Could it be my problems are related?

Any tips or advice on either would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

-Andy
Old 01-24-2003, 02:37 AM

I think something that can help both issues is the use of chromatic, or psuedo chromatic scales. Spanish guitarists have used these tricks for centuries, and it's fairly common practice for them to do chromatic runs to see who is the fastest. Use all four fingers, and alternate going UP and DOWN the strings in the first position (Open.) Then try again at the third, fifth, etc. After awhile, practice skipping strings alternately, for example

1. Low E fifth fret A, Index
2. Low A sixth fret D#, Middle
3. Back to Low E, seventh fret B, Ring
4. Low A again, 8th fret E#, Pinky

5. Low A fifth fret D, Index
6. D string, sixth fret G#, Middle
Etc. all the way UP, then back down. Repeat.

Be creative with these. Develop alternating pseudo-chromatic patterns for yourself. As you descend, pay attetion to how your fingers pull away from the string. Doing these exercises soley with hammer-on/pull-off techniques repeatedly will help build dexterity and correct application. And always, as with all things, safety first. Go slow, and warm up. This is a great way to develop an injury if you're not careful. Then, practice!
Old 01-24-2003, 03:15 AM

Thanks a ton man, its already feeling better now that im focusing on just the hammers/pull-offs(after the initial pick, of course). One thing that I have been noticing also is that if im doing a three note per string pattern, i will pick the first note ascending, but wont bother to pick decending...talk about major flaw! That would really explain a ton with my legato pull offs...gotta get out of the bad habbit I guess. As for streching, thats prolly going to take a lot longer...aw well, i got plenty of time

Thanks again Wordwolf, and any more suggestions are much appreciated!

-Andy
Old 01-25-2003, 04:41 AM

No prob, m'man. Best advice now is just keep on doin' it!

Show/Hide Posting Rules