Picking hand anchor and trem question - Jemsite
Guitar Lessons & Music Theory Post any type of guitar or music lessons, theory and other learning methods.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Picking hand anchor and trem question

Where do you anchor your picking hand when using the tremolo bar?
I use the bar with my picking hand pinky and/or bottom of my picking hand.
I usually anchor my right hand on the top of the bridge but when I got the trem bar I can't anchor on the bridge anymore and end up anchoring on the bar which is no good because it causes unintended pitch variation.
My bar is loose and hangs low.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If anyone knows a good video that helps with bar technique I'ld appreciate it.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 06:40 PM

Re: Picking hand anchor and trem question

What bridge are you using? If you try getting hold of some bushings so that bar doesn't hang loose then that might help. When i use my bar i suspend my hand (anchor?) by resting my third finger on the body of the guitar about 2/3rds of the way towards to the bridge pickup.I usually use my middle finger+palm to manipulate the bar and keep my first finger+thumb free to pick etc. Although that's only if you're doing dips/slurred satriani things. If you want a lot of pull up on the bar i try to use my forearm for more anchorage on the body by holding it tighter on the guitar.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Picking hand anchor and trem question

Thanks for the reply.
I'm using a Jem 7DBK and a Japanese RG570. I believe they both have Edge trems, but they are different versions of the trem.
I'll have to try that.

Tags
bridge pickup , edge trem , edge trems , tremolo bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode