<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Guitar Lessons & Music Theory

Guitar Lessons & Music Theory Post any type of guitar or music lessons, theory and other learning methods.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 AM
(a)

Reviews: 25

Re: playing sitting vs standing up

You need to strengthen certain muscles when you play more sitting then standing and vice versa... Once your arms are used to either one, you will be as good as you are in both positions...
Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 AM

Had the same problem some time ago. There is no easy way to learn that - You just have to play standing up. The way I've learnd it was to make a resolution, not to play sitting at all - practicing, jamming, whatever. And it worked for me. It took me actually about 1-2 months to feel comfortable with the guitar while standing up (about 1h a day). Ofcourse at first it felt like I suddenly didn't know how to play guitar - the beginings wre really hard. What I've noticed was that after playing standing up, playing in general became to feel really easy while I was sitting down - it felt that I was making a bigger progress while standing instead of sitting - and it was a double progress, while I was practicing standing up it improved my technique both while sitting and standing. Since then I really ocasionally play sitting down. The strap lenght - I was starting with a desired position - not too high but not too low. It wasn't the same position while I was sitting - but it worked for me (instead of adjusting the strap to the same postition while I was sitting and gradually lowering the guitar accordingly to the progress). On the other hand the most important thing to remember while adjusting the strap is that if You perform whatever kind of gig - for friends or people You don't know, at home or on a stage, amateur or professional - Your audience will remember how You play not how cool You look - better to be the "Beatle Guy" playing very good stuff than "Mr. Cool with guitar upon his knees" pretending to be a guitarist. It won't matter how cool You look if You're not able to play properly.

Last edited by alternative4; 07-27-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 18

If you play with the guitar high enough, there isn't much difference. If you try to go for that guitar hung low style, then it takes some getting used to. Especially if your into wide interval stuff.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris420 View Post

"guys like the Beatles with their guitars almost touching their face."
Really?!? I didn't know the Beatles played Jazz
Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
you should practice while standing as much as you practice sitting. .. it will help you in the long run.
I concur. Everything is so easy when sitting. When I'm standing, I wear the guitar high to simulate the sitting position, as previously mentioned here. However, lounge gigs are the most fun, in that it's natural (and acceptable) to sit while playing...
Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Reviews: 3

When I'm in a band,I learn songs/solos sitting down then,practice them standing up.When I record I always sit,it helps me focus and stay on beat.

+1 what GUITARMAGEDDON and The Translator said.

Show/Hide Posting Rules