<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Guitar Lessons & Music Theory

Guitar Lessons & Music Theory Post any type of guitar or music lessons, theory and other learning methods.

Old 12-08-2002, 05:38 PM

Sweeping practice! Ideas?

Okay,

I decided to jazz up my chops! Does anyone have any tips on how to practice sweep-picking? Except the Vai 10 hour workout?

Thanks...

Fabe
Old 12-08-2002, 09:13 PM
deleted username

Fabe- here's a thread about sweeping with TONS of suggestions and TAB to get you going.

http://www.jemsite.insomnia-vhosting...pic.php?t=5429

Here's my first post from that thread. It's a great starting point for learning/practicing sweeps:

When I started out learning to sweep, I (of course) started at the top- learning some Malmsteen. *I never said I was smart. *:-)

Jeremy's exercises are cool, but covering all 6 strings at once is a bit tough for those just jumping in. *Let me offer one of my favorites as an option for you to get started and get your right/left hand coordination going.
This was originally done for my buddy Shannon's 7-string site. I've transposed it for 6-strings.

This is one of my favorite sweeps, probably because it's the most versatile. *Here's the first part of the pattern:
(The up-sweep the notes are marked with a "*", and the down-sweep notes are marked with a "^". Pulloff= "p" )

E--19^--16*-----------------------------------------------
B------------17*----------18^--15*---------------------
G---------------19*--16^----------16*------------------
D-----------------------------------------18*---15^------
A------------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------

So, you would DOWN pick(^) the 19, then UP (*) sweep the 16, 17, and 19 in one fluid motion, then down pick the 16th fret on the G string, getting ready for the next set of sweeping. Follow me here? Try the same thing on the second one (starts on the 18th fret). Same pattern, but one string lower and a half step (one fret) down the fretboard. Keep following those same pattern, all the way down...like this...

E-------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------------
G--17^--14*-----------------------------------------------
D------------15*--------16^--13*------------------------
A---------------17*--14^--------14*---------------------
E--------------------------------------16*--13^-----------

E-------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------------------------
D--------13^--16--14--13--------------------------------
A-----14^--------------------16--14--13--14~~~~----
E--16^------------------------------------------------------

******** For some variation, the last seven notes can be done legato, individually picked, or (if you have enough sustain...heh heh) try sliding inbetween them...whichever works for you. Hell, change that whole section if you want! :-D
Don't forget to play it SLOW at first, and work your way up to your desired speed. ALWAYS practice with a metronome or drum machine, and keep the notes sounding clean.

These sweeps are very versatile and can be used all over the fretboard once you get the first section down. Try it out on the lower frets (1-12). Fun, huh? :-) You can also pick each note individually if you like. **
It's just one of the bajillion different ways to express yourself.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:08 AM

Hey thanks Kev!

This should keep me busy for a while!! Cool...

Fabe
Old 12-09-2002, 08:09 AM

Check here:

http://home.no.net/theband/sweep1.htm

Goes through 4 shapes of Em | F | G | Am

Lenny

Show/Hide Posting Rules