<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Guitar Lessons & Music Theory

Guitar Lessons & Music Theory Post any type of guitar or music lessons, theory and other learning methods.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:18 AM

Touch Typing & Finger Independence

I like most people only type with 2 fingers. And sometimes the tips of them get sore. I was just wondering, does anybody hear know how to properly touch type? And if so, does it help with your finger strength and independence and therefore guitar playing? And if so is it worth learning to touch type with all 4 fingers?

If so can anybody tell me where they learnt?
Old 08-07-2003, 07:56 AM

I can fully touchtype at an average speed using all four fingers, tho the pinky on my right hand sometimes feels kinda redundant as its all symbols over there.

I don't think it helps too much with your fretting, but it couldn't hurt.

I never learnt in any crash course way with programs like mavis beacon, I just used my computer a lot, especially chatting on msn and forums etc.
Situations where you want to type as if you were speaking.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:44 AM

I took a typing class in high school... probably one of the few courses that gave me a tangible skill which i still use every day.

Basically, you put your index fingers on the F and J keys and one finger per key to the left and right. ASDF and JKL; are your "home row". Each finger is responsible for the keys above and below its home row key.

I'm sure there's probably a "Typing for Dummies" book you can pick up.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:01 AM

I'd search on google for an online typing teacher. There's bound to be one, or a shareware one on www.download.com
Old 08-07-2003, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist

I never learnt in any crash course way with programs like mavis beacon, I just used my computer a lot, especially chatting on msn and forums etc.
Situations where you want to type as if you were speaking.
same with me. never used any programs, just learnt through using computers every day.

i don't think that touch typing has helped my guitar playing, if anything, its the other way round.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:53 PM

Once you've learned to type. You can brush up on your skills with this really cool game called Typer Shark. It's fun. You can find it at:

http://www.popcap.com

I can touch type, but I really don't think that it helps me play any better. It's hard to say, because I can't compare the two. I learned how to type before I started playing.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:14 PM

I learn't to touch type several years ago at my primary school in an after school club - long before I ever picked up a guitar.

It obviously does something for finger dexterity because of the nature of using all the fingers on both hands at once but I doubt it does anything for strength.

All in all, I'd say it's had little to no effect on my guitar playing. I didn't get better at it faster or slower than some of my friends who started playing at the same time as me and couldn't touch type.

Although as I could confidently type before I could play guitar, I never had the chance to see a before and after type view of events. It would be nice to see if learning to type helps you.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:10 AM

Practice instead...
Old 08-08-2003, 11:16 AM

I have no choice but to spend the day typing, so I may as well type in a way that helps me.

Believe me, I'd practice instead if I could...

I'm going to learn, I'll let you know how I get on!
Old 08-08-2003, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
I took a typing class in high school... probably one of the few courses that gave me a tangible skill which i still use every day.

Basically, you put your index fingers on the F and J keys and one finger per key to the left and right. ASDF and JKL; are your "home row". Each finger is responsible for the keys above and below its home row key.

I'm sure there's probably a "Typing for Dummies" book you can pick up.
Hey, right on darren, typing was one of the greatest things I learned in highschool.

We learned the almena method for typing.

As you said, hands stationed on ASDF and JKL;. Each finger is responsible for the letters above and below them. They then use rhymes to get you to remember the letters. ie, for the letter I, your middle finger on the right hand is responsible for IK(,). That's I'm King Comma, on so on for each finger.
Before you know it, your doing 50 words a minute, no prob!
Old 08-09-2003, 09:46 AM

That's one of the problems with learning through use of computers rather than training yourself, I have little nuances such as using my left middle finger for the letter R sometimes.
Not sure which is better, to type what feels comfortable to you, or to train yourself to type more regimented and "proper".
Old 08-09-2003, 09:58 AM

typing 'proper' will maximize speed....that is, it will make you even FASTER than if you are a quick son of a gun doing it wrong.

It's like playing the guitar....using the correct fingerings for a monster scale will always get you from point a to point be the quickest and most efficiently.

The index (right) is responsible for the RFVTGB keys. Doing a few practice runs will help you do it right before you know it.

Tags
darren wilson, guitar playing

Show/Hide Posting Rules