When you started and what inspired you... - Page 2 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Guitar Lessons & Music Theory
Guitar Lessons & Music Theory Post any type of guitar or music lessons, theory and other learning methods.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:15 PM

Re: When you started and what inspired you...

When I first heard the start of the motley Crue song Kick Start My Heart, when he used the Guitar to make the motorcycle sound.

Ofcourse I practiced alot mroe seriously after my best friends brother made us listen to Van Halen, Rush and then one night I heard Dream Theaters Pull Me Under.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:42 AM

Everyone in my family plays an instrument, and my sister plays 5. I think the whole family's involvement in music was the main influence, although it was subtle, in a day-to-day sort of way.

I remember hearing Jethro Tull's "Living in the Past" when I was a young kid, well before I picked up an instrument. I was struck by the flute playing and the very bouncy bass line.

I picked up the guitar in earnest in 1985 after hearing the group The Police. Andy Summers' very swirly guitar sounds really drew me in. At the time, all of the new New Wave groups were playing crispy sounding strats, as did Andy Summers, so my first electric guitar was a Strat.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:05 PM

Hearing Hendrix for the first time.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:27 AM

That's a sad story I think, because I could have played for a much longer time
My dad's a guitarist and plays for a rock coverband, which is quite well-known here. He showed me some chords when I was very small, but I wasn't patient and ambitious and gave up after one week. Then, when I was older I started to accompany him to gigs and I always thought it was fun being at the locations before the people arrived, seeing the soundcheck, hanging out backstage, driving home at 4p.m. I just thought: A musician life is the coolest thing in the world and I'm gonna marry a musician one day, probably a guitarist (I was 13 at that time). Later when I got into metal, I still thought that a musician life is the best thing, but I was more realistic and picked up the guitar with 16. I liked playing the guitar: I always thought guitarists look quite cool on stage and it's just an awsome instrument. But there was a change, when I heard a song by Children of Bodom with a very fast shredding solo followed by synth shredding (think it was Bodom Beach terror). Cause I never heard anything like this before. The next day somebody showed me some things by Shawn Lane. And then I was completely fascinated. I started listening to fast metal bands from the north of Europe and guitar heroes and I wanted to become a very good guitarist and then I really started to practice.... Much too late, I know... And to become member of metal bands, I focused on rhythm playing a lot..

Last edited by Aziza; 06-03-2007 at 05:34 AM..
Old 06-03-2007, 05:52 AM

Wow, cool thread.

My mom has pictures of me at 3 with a toy guitar that I called my "Lar,Lar".
That may have started my love of it, but it wasn't till I was 12 that I picked up a real guitar, and started taking lessons, but that was short lived, when my music instructor told me he wouldn't teach me the music I liked: AC/DC, Maiden, and especially Dokken aka: George Lynch.

I picked up a Harmony flying "V" copy a year or so after that in attempt to teach myself....that also was short lived.
It wasn't till I was 17 that I met a gifted guitarist in High School, who started giving me some basic lessons, teaching me George Lynch riffs etc..
The following year I met a guy who posts here on occasion. A Mr Rodney James, and his Shocking Pink Jem, and the rest is history!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:31 PM

ozzy's guys. I grew up on sabbath and ozzy. Also Hendrix, my dads fave musician. I got into thrash though. I've also had a strange fascination in classical music.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:20 PM
(a)

I decided I was going to play the guitar when I saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan as a 2 year old. I literally started begging for guitars right then and there I had about 50 plastic toy guitars before I got my first wooden one, and my first electric (a Teisco) cost $25 bucks and came with an amp. I finally got a real guitar, a Fender Strat, around '74. George Harrison and the Gretsch Country Gentleman where what hooked me initially though.

jim
Old 06-05-2007, 05:41 PM
(a)

My dad had a classical guitar lying around the house that I used to play the godfather theme on one string - I was about 12.

When I was in high school aged 16 I made friends with this cool dude who introduced me to glam rock and my love affair with the distorted guitar started.

I got my uncle to buy me a cheap charvel copy guitar and I promised to pay him back as long as he promised not to tell my disapproving father....turns out the very next day my uncle went to my dad to claim back the money!! I only found this out years later.

After stints in different genres of music, some guitar based, some not...I still sit in front of my stereo, tab pages in front of me, trying to learn my favourite licks and songs.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:41 PM

I was 17

Randy Rhoads.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:06 PM

I started back in '86, not because of the hair band movement (even though that is all I listened to at the time) but because of the opening riff to "Heaven On Their Minds" from the Jesus Christ Superstar soundtrack. My Mom used to play that album all the time as we were growing up and I remember dancing around the house with a tennis raquet thinking I was playing that song.
So when I got older and and got my first job I saved up to get my first guitar which was a Peavey Patriot. My Dad actually bought it for me because he saw how hard I was working to get. THANKS DAD!!!! My Grandpa taught me the three chords and I was hooked. I have never stopped playing or loving the instrument.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:22 PM

Well, I grew up around a guitar - my dad had an old Gibson acoustic that he'd play a bit of folk around, and one of my uncles played too. So, I was exposed to the guitar for most of my life, and always loved the sound of it.

But, what finally made me pick the thing up myself was two artists - Jimi Hendrix playing "Voodoo Child (slight return)" and making me think, "holy sh*t the guitar is a vicious sounding instrument!" and Kurt Cobain's playing on Nirvana's unplugged album.

Yep, don't laugh, Kurt was probably the biggest reason I finally had the nerve to try to pick up my dad's acoustic and make noise on it - not only did he seem to have a genuine passion for the guitar and made the guitar "cool" for my generation, he also made it seem like something maybe I could do, whereas in the hands of Jimi it sounded like a totally alien instrument.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:27 AM
(a)

I wanted to play for as long as I can remember. I got my first guitar when I was bout 3 a mickey mouse acoustic. My Grandfather taught me some chords. He was not much of a guitar player but he was a professional singer. I can still remember him tuning a guitar He would sing MY (E) dog(A) has(D)fleas(G) you(B) Knowwwww(E) He was quite a character. His favorite guitarist was Chet Atkins and he liked Roy Clark. He used to say about Roy" that guy can play any instrument with perfection but he cant sing for Sh!@. I played in alot of country jam bands when I was a kid. Everything changed for me when I heard Blizzard of Oz,and when Tribute came out Fuhgettaboudit.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:37 AM

Reviews: 6

Alot of people around me know how to play the guitar and everytime they would play i was like wow your good i wish i could play like that. So i decided i was going to try and be better than them and i just want people to say wow your really good and i wish i could play that good.

6 months now
Old 07-29-2007, 09:51 PM
(a)

I was 8 and I saw Paul Gilbert on TV. He was widdling away and I remember thinking 'I want to play like that. And I want hair like that.' I didn't know who he was at the time, except to me, he was pretty damned cool.

10 years later, and after 5 years of intense guitaring, I don't have hair like that (anymore - it was way too high maintenance!) and I can sort of play like that.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:54 PM
(a)

Girls and Steve Vai

Tags
acoustic guitar , allan holdsworth , andy summers , bass drum , billy sheehan , brett garsed , electric guitar , fender strat , floyd rose , george benson , guitar players , guitar playing , guitar shop , iron maiden , jimi hendrix , kurt cobain , motley crue , music store , paul gilbert , playing guitar , randy rhoads , sam ash , shawn lane , squier strat , squire strat , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughn , van halen

You may also search for:

Show/Hide Posting Rules