<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Multimedia: Music, Pictures & Sounds

Multimedia: Music, Pictures & Sounds share links to MP3s, JPGs, Videos, Youtube or other music or multimedia (no bootleg or illegal file sharing please).

Old 04-11-2005, 12:49 AM

My cover of "Dave's Party Piece"

All,
I don't own a 7-string, but when I got my hands on my friend's (the collector) Universe, I knew the first song I had to learn was Dave Weiner's "Dave's Party Piece". I loved this song off of "Vai - Live in Astoria" It's nice to have a guitar to play it.

Anyway click the link and have a listen. I know it's not perfect, there's a couple inadvertently hit strings, slight rushed timing here and there, etc. Any comments welcome...feel free to bash it/me...it will only help me become better....

FYI, I played this with one of Dave's picks from the concert hoping for some divine osmosis!...dunno if it worked :P

http://maggielynn.com/Brian/Dave'sPartyPieceBRC.mp3
Old 04-11-2005, 03:27 AM

Re: My cover of "Dave's Party Piece"

nicely done. Sounds very much like the original.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:30 AM

Wink

Well done, it's sound great,maybe too much fx,but... you know...I like it! BRAVO
Old 04-11-2005, 09:04 AM

sounds great, good job
Old 04-11-2005, 10:43 AM

Thanks for compliments!

I agree, the effects are bit high in the mix compared to Dave's. The timing has to be in sync with it so I probably had it set weter than need be. It'd also be nice to add some backing drums & bass... I may add that next.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:59 AM

Great job!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:29 PM

I liked it. Except, you need to have the delay set to repeat only once. Set the delay at about 320 ms. Once again, have it so it repeats only once at about the same volume as the original...if that makes sense.

Otherwise, very good. I liked it alot.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:29 PM

Jking, You know I've been wondering about the double tap delay. Currently I had it set to a 2-Tap delay, with the first at 330ms, the second at 660ms. Both at 100% volume compared to the original note. I know 330ms slightly slower, but it's what I'm comfortable at. I'm gonna try it real quick that way....

(Time passes...)

Hmmm does sound allot cleaner, but it also sounds more "empty", probably as I'm used to hearing it with the 2-tap... I'll make those changes!

Thanks for the comments thus far everyone...keep 'em comin! Also for some, it seems to want to pull up quicktime for some reason... You can also go to my music site http://maggielynn.com/Brian/music.html there you will find a link to the song. Simply right click, choose save file, and play with your favorite media player.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:48 PM

Very nice! The only thing that bothered me is in the beginning where the B-major three note thing is repeated. You repeated it 6x but it's supposed to be repeated 8. Otherwise great work!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannifive
The only thing that bothered me is in the beginning where the B-major three note thing is repeated. You repeated it 6x but it's supposed to be repeated 8.
DANG someone noticed!! :P Actually it's a four note arpeggio (eighth notes B-D#-F#-D#), and it should be played 10 times(or 5 measures)! So I really goofed up! I realized this mistake when I went back and was entering Dave's tab into Guitar Pro 4.

I will have to make the effect changes, and ensure I play that opening part enough times, and re-record it.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrowell
DANG someone noticed!! :P Actually it's a four note arpeggio (eighth notes B-D#-F#-D#), and it should be played 10 times(or 5 measures)! So I really goofed up! I realized this mistake when I went back and was entering Dave's tab into Guitar Pro 4.

I will have to make the effect changes, and ensure I play that opening part enough times, and re-record it.
You had to get pedantic on me :P I think of it as 3 notes since it forms a B-major, but you're right, it is 4 played notes.

I think we're not counting the same... As you say, it should be *played* for 5 measures, but I think of it as being *repeated* for 4 measures, and then played again on the next measure as the start of that musical "phrase" that is re-used in the song. (That's terribly non-musical terminology, I know.) You repeated for 3 measures, and then started that "phrase", meaning you played it for a total 4 measures, or 8x. Anyway, you know what I mean!

The only reason I noticed is because I just learned to play this song the other day! Otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed at all...

I look forward to hearing the next revision.

By the way, I actually play this on a 6-string. The way I get the low notes is I have my expression pedal set up to drop my pitch by 5 half-steps. So everything that would be played on the low B I play on the low E with the pedal rocked back. With the heavy delay this actually sounds okay. It just doesn't work for the final B5 chord.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:52 AM

Talking

this link is fault or im just crap at using the internet, please help!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:33 AM

gephro, yeah some are having problems....above there is a link to my website, there you will find a link on the front page for the MP3. Right click and save file...lemme know if that doesn't work.

Tags
dave weiner, expression pedal

Show/Hide Posting Rules