<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Multimedia: Music, Pictures & Sounds

Multimedia: Music, Pictures & Sounds share links to MP3s, JPGs, Videos, Youtube or other music or multimedia (no bootleg or illegal file sharing please).

Old 03-24-2007, 02:49 AM

Re: My pc IS dead~

As far as XP vs Vista in concerned...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/...sta/page4.html
Quote:
* Vista runs considerably more services and thus has to spend somewhat more resources on itself. Indexing, connectivity and usability don't come for free.
* There is a lot of CPU performance available today! We've got really fast dual core processors, and even faster quad cores will hit the market by the middle of the year. Even though you will lose application performance by upgrading to Vista, today's hardware is much faster than yesterday's, and tomorrow's processors will clearly leap even further ahead.
* No new Windows release has been able to offer more application performance than its predecessor.

Last edited by crevis; 03-24-2007 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:51 AM

Don't get a MAC, please, whatever you do. They just aren't the same as a proper PC. And yes, I agree with what most people have said so far, build a custom one from bought parts. You will save an absolute fortune doing it, and then you get to choose your own custom specs for your own custom machine. Building a PC is a doddle too, so don't let that put you off at all.

I'd go for a Core 2 Duo of some sort, and build around that. Get a couple of gig in RAM, and you should be ready for anything. Everything else is up to you. As for Vista vs. XP, I'd still stick with XP for a little while yet. But get Vista ready and waiting for when you decide you'd like to update.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:47 AM

I'm babbling but I'd like to show just how many threads mozilla uses alone...

The sheer number shows that they've used modularization in separating each algorithm into threads and I can well imagine that most if not all new versions of software will look like this in the near future (it will also slow down single core processors).
Old 03-24-2007, 08:52 AM

Get a Mac. They are fast, stable, fun to use, and they work. You will not be bothered with constant pop-ups, update offers, etc., like you see on Windows, and you won't have conflicting software/hardware to deal with. The Mac lets you work without getting in your way.

I have used and maintained both Macs and PCs for years and own both, but I prefer the Macs by a large margin. For $1500, you have lots of choices. Mac Mini, MacBook, iMac - just go to Apple's web site and look around, or if you have an Apple Store, stop in there. I am typing this on a MacBook, which I got refurbished, direct from Apple, and it is a GREAT notebook. In fact, I am supposed to return it to my job, but I am offering to give them my ThinkPad instead (which is not to knock the ThinkPad - it's the best of the breed for Windows notebooks, IMO).
Old 03-24-2007, 09:28 AM

Build your own PC.

Here's one for the Mac lovers. http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=macs_cant
Old 03-24-2007, 11:26 AM
(a)

Reviews: 18

Jim,

There are many factors that are going to influence your decision. The biggest being the main job this new pc will handle. If you're just going to use it to check email and surf, then you might want to consider buying a prefab machine. If your requirements will deem that it has certain hardware and the fastest processor money can buy you, then build it yourself. If you're going to record music with it, then definitely get a mac. The upside of the last option is that you can still run windows if you need to.

Jimmy
Old 03-24-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik View Post
Get a Mac. They are fast, stable, fun to use, and they work. You will not be bothered with constant pop-ups, update offers, etc., like you see on Windows, and you won't have conflicting software/hardware to deal with. The Mac lets you work without getting in your way.

I have used and maintained both Macs and PCs for years and own both, but I prefer the Macs by a large margin. For $1500, you have lots of choices. Mac Mini, MacBook, iMac - just go to Apple's web site and look around, or if you have an Apple Store, stop in there. I am typing this on a MacBook, which I got refurbished, direct from Apple, and it is a GREAT notebook. In fact, I am supposed to return it to my job, but I am offering to give them my ThinkPad instead (which is not to knock the ThinkPad - it's the best of the breed for Windows notebooks, IMO).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Jim,

There are many factors that are going to influence your decision. The biggest being the main job this new pc will handle. If you're just going to use it to check email and surf, then you might want to consider buying a prefab machine. If your requirements will deem that it has certain hardware and the fastest processor money can buy you, then build it yourself. If you're going to record music with it, then definitely get a mac. The upside of the last option is that you can still run windows if you need to.

Jimmy
i agree with both of these

plus, if you do buy a new mac, and need something windows related, you can install windows on it as well as having OS X on it. one computer, endless possibilities. plus, it comes with garageband, probably the best thing EVER. i use it, you can record whole songs, with incredible quality for bundled software. or just use it to get ideas down. i'll post a sound clip or something using garage band (i've re-eq'd since the sunshine of your love thing, and it sounds SO good) so you can see for yourself how awesome it is.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:35 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Isn't that like 149 in dog years?! LOL
Lol......yeah, but considering were talking computers it's more like 149000 years Talk about buying into obsolescence

Thanks guys for all your input Jeeze what ever happened to the good old days??? It used to be, you'd just go down to "said" store and buy a PC. What a PIA

Okay...so question:

It's building your PC much more expeisive that buying a pre-fab????

Also, MAC's are a bit less pricey than PC's, right ??

Sorry, computers aren't my gig as you can tell)

I'm pretty crippled right now (PC's on crutches ) That will change this week, and I'd rather have input from the trusted Jemsiters than get shafted by a pretty-boy salesman

Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM
(a)

If you're on a budget and you don't want to deal with so many issues (which sounds like to me), call dell and order a desktop from them. They will certainly take care of what you need and you'll be able to add on additional peripherals as time goes.

Building a pc can be both expensive and inexpensive, depending on what components you're buying and what kind of performance you're trying to get out of that machine.

My best advice would be to call dell and order from them. Even if you were to go to best buy or circuit city, you would have to pay extra to have them set up the computer once you purchased it. Whatever you do, don't buy a small form factor destop because your ability to add things to it will significantly decrease.

I hope this helps

Jimmy
Old 03-25-2007, 07:48 PM

Some people just aren't into it that much and probably wouldn't tell the difference between a $1500 prefab and a $1500 DIY anyway. I'd say call dell up, just make sure you get a core 2 duo, 2 GB of raml and whatever other niceties you can get for your $1500 and you'll be fine.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:51 PM
(a)

Cool! Thanks guys.

I've decided to go the Dell route. I don't need a super PC.

And I'm finally going to graduate from "Dial Up"

Woo hooo!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:43 PM
(a)

I Ordered it!

Okay, I called Dell and just ordered my new PC. I suppose you could call it "somewhat" customised

Here's what I got along with a 4 year warranty and 18 months no interest credit (though I paid half)

So PLEASE tell me PC guru's..............did I do okay, or totally mess up?? It seems like I got a good deal (and the customer service girl sounded CUTE But to tell you the truth, I really have no idea one way or the other I know,.....sad!! That's what happens when you are raised by wolves and grow up in a forest

Okay.............................................. .........................

Items list:

Item Number Quantity Item Description
222-7271 1 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (1.86GHz,1066FSB) with 2MB cache
311-5119 1 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
310-7963 1 Dell USB Keyboard
320-5056 1 19 in (19 in viewable) E197FPBFlat Panel Display
320-4944 1 NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
341-3257 1 250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
341-3865 1 No Floppy Drive Requested
420-6541 1 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English
420-6436 1 Vista, PC-Restore, Dim/Insp
420-6481 1 Dell Support, Vista, Dim/Insp
420-5769 1 Internet Search and Portal
420-5924 1 Icon Consolidation Application
463-2282 1 Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access
313-4911 1 Dell Resource DVD with Application Backup
310-7966 1 Dell Optical USB Mouse
313-4427 1 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
412-0914 1 Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0
313-4422 1 16X DVD+R/RW CD-RW Combination Drive
420-6464 1 Roxio Creator Basic
313-2758 1 Integrated Audio
313-4038 1 Dell AS501PA Sound Bar with power adapter for all Enrty Flat Panel Displays
420-6915 1 Network Associates McAfee 8.0 English, 3-Year Subscription
412-0934 1 Earthlink
412-0933 1 AOL for Broadband
420-6585 1 Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition
464-5105 1 $50 Promo Dell Gift Card Card Card to arrive 6-8 weeks afterpurchase Redeem before 1 year expiration. dell.com/giftcard
950-7447 1 4 Year Limited Warranty
412-0359 1 Soft Contracts - Qualxserve
902-2473 1 Warranty Support,3 Year Extended
310-8165 1 IEEE 1394a Adapter
412-0943 1 Basic digital Music,Photo and Game experience

222-5573 1 Dell Photo AIO Printer 926
310-4168 1 Dell USB Printer Cable - 10 ftblack

Subtotal: $1383.00
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Tax: $110.13

Total: $1493.13

Well.....??
Old 03-28-2007, 06:53 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Any sugesstions for a new PC (or Mac) are appreciated. Also.....price ranges???

What will $ 1,500 get you nowadays?? I got mine like 7 years ago,

Thanks
It depends on what you do... if you play games then yes you can get a great system for $1500-$3000,

but if you just surf the web you can pickup a something ok for like $350-500 for just the computer - no monitor or speakers.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:56 PM
(a)

What you have listed is ok, however, I always get stuck on PC without a No Floppy Drive, when it comes to updating board or raid drivers. So hopefully you do not have to reformat or have a issue here
Old 03-28-2007, 07:12 PM
(a)

Looks like you're getting a nice box. A couple of things I'll suggest when you do the initial setup of the machine...

Once you get into windows you will want to remove anything that's outdated or that you're not going to use. I see they gave you acrobat reader 7 (8 is currently out right now). Depending on your isp, you will probably want to remove aol and earthlink.

When I bought my laptop from them, I never got a bonafide windows cd w/it. I called them and had them send me a full windows cd and a restore cd as well. What happened was that the machine allowed me to create 1 copy of the restore cd which had the operating system built-in. That's a cost effective way for dell so they don't have to send you an actual operating system cd. If you don't get the disc, don't hesitate to call them and ask them to send it to you, they won't charge you anything.

Some of the subscription-based software (mcafee) will have a timebomb and will not let you download new definitions if you didn't actually buy the year license. If you didn't actually purchase it, do some searching on the net and you'll be able to find some stuff (email me if you have some questions about that). It is best to remove an antivirus program if you're going to go with another brand from the getgo, otherwise they tend to give you problems.

The 4 year warranty will definitely give you peace of mind should something happen. Dell tends to take care of their customers from that aspect.

All in all, I think you got a good deal and a pretty nice machine for the money. If you would've gone to a store if probably would've costed you close to 2K for a new machine.

As far as their financing goes... I'll just say that if you got the 18 months interest free, pay that joint before the finance kicks in. Last time I checked, their apr was in the 29% neighborhood. I had to find out the hard way with my laptop, thankfully I had an extra paycheck at the time, so I sent them the balance and told them to kiss my bumper.

Oh, and another thing....

"Dude, you're getting a Dell"

Jimmy

Show/Hide Posting Rules