Progressive metal from Finland! - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Multimedia: Music, Pictures & Sounds
Multimedia: Music, Pictures & Sounds share links to MP3s, JPGs, Videos, Youtube or other music or multimedia (no bootleg or illegal file sharing please).

Old 12-31-2010, 08:16 AM

Progressive metal from Finland!

Hey there fellow jemsiters!

Here's a new prog metal piece from my brother and two friends. Recorded with amateur gear so don't expect studio quality. Decent enough still Be sure to check out the same channel for "Collateral Damage" also!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7bYj...eature=recentu

I'm happy to answer if any questions appear. Happy new year!!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Re: Progressive metal from Finland!

To me it's well recorded and it's a cool song but there are 2 things which will keep me away from buying your music.

1- It sounds too much like something from Dream Theater,if I wanted to listen to DT I'd not buy your album but a DT album,lack of personality.

2- Song doesn't have a melody which keeps all parts sounding like a whole song,they sound like different parts from different songs glued together OR a middle section of a DT song.It doesn't matter if the listener starts listening in the middle or in the beginning.

Those 2 things are what I always avoid from prog bands.No matter how crazy or weird some DT songs parts are,they always find a way(melody) to make them sound as a whole song and not just different parts.

I see great potential in your band but still lack of personality TO ME is a major problem cause nobody(well at least me) wants to hear a clone or a band that sounds too close to another band.
How to avoid that?
Well you guys have to find your own way of expression and avoid playing licks or things other bands already do,very difficult cause we all sometimes sound like our idols but being UNIQUE is part of having talent.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:26 AM

Reviews: 3

I thought it was a really well-composed piece of music, not too over-complicated or contrived like a lot of instrumental prog can be. And the outro was killer! 6fingers may have a point, but I wouldn't be discouraged by that. You'll develop your sound even more as time goes on.

Really impressed with the video too.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 AM

That's the kind of constructive criticism I'd like to hear more out there! Thanks 6fingers, I understand your point of view..! There's no effort to copy DT but it pushes through strongly and it's no secret that DT is one of the major influences.

Feel free to comment, people. Thumbs up for 6fingers and try to be gentle, it's the second song out and the drummer has experience of about 2 years and keyboard player (my brother) has only been playing for a bit over 3 years
Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 AM

love that video, thanks for posting!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:03 AM

You're welcome! We shot it by ourselves, it's shot with Canon 7D and homemade dolly etc.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 AM

very well done!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:10 PM

Great potential, but fingers is right, you need a strong melody line to tie everything together with. That will come with time... Keep up the good work.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemswirl View Post
Great potential, but fingers is right, you need a strong melody line to tie everything together with. That will come with time... Keep up the good work.
The video prod. looks cool I think your on the right track , good tones!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 PM

Reviews: 21

That was cool, yeah very much like Dream Theater, but when you guys find your own voice, you guys will kick arse!!!! Keep it up and best of luck!!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:05 PM

That is how progressive metal should be. Don't listen to criticism about melody or lack of personality, you are great keep it up !!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianpaolo74 View Post
That is how progressive metal should be. Don't listen to criticism about melody or lack of personality, you are great keep it up !!
I agree, great piece of music.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Reviews: 2

This is some of the best amateur music I have ever heard, truth be told! You guys are awesome, if you keep developing your own sound and personality you will be on your way to greatness! Haha it was a great listen, keep up the good work. Also I am really wondering, how long have you (guitarist) been playing, and how often do you practice? You are really quite amazing
Old 02-13-2011, 06:00 PM
(a)

Reviews: 25

In the end if you sound like someone else or not, its still a voice non the less. Great stuff..

Wish I could keep a band together long enough to even get that quality of music together...
Old 02-13-2011, 10:03 PM

Reviews: 11

im thinking a low B string and a bit more complication and differentness (i dont think thats a word but you all get what i mean) in the riffs would make it killer! and by low B, i dont mean be a korn or DT copy or a death metal band, i mean just some differences to spice it up a bit.

add something in there that will really "wow" people. doesnt have to be super speed solo's, just something different. maybe a 7 string with a high A instead of a low B for super high notes.........

Tags
ibanez rg , keyboard , kurzweil , metal , progressive

Show/Hide Posting Rules