Ibanez JEM Forum banner

A Good Day At Work (Satch content)

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  GoodVaibes 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
I love signed guitars.

There's a good and bad to that. The great thing is that you have something that is in a very rare supply, especially after any musician is not touring or with us anymore. The bad thing is that if you realize just how hard it is to some by a signed guitar, then you don't play it and the guitar gets permanently retired even though there's a lot of life still on it.

There's only one surviving guitar, a Rickenbacker, that is signed by all four Beatles. The signatures may have only doubled the price of the guitar then, but today it's priceless and far beyond the price of a used Rickenbacker without signature. Too many signed guitars end up getting played and the signatures wear off.

#8 ·
Yeah man, I don't mind a signed guitar either. Satch was my Ibanez hat-trick - I am lucky enough to have a LNG, and PGM90thHAM signed and caricatured by Paul and now my purple 570. Weirdly I also found an Epiphone SG here in Sydney signed by Bill Kelliher of Mastodon. I couldn't believe it. Two in one city! I do play all of them though since they are all players grade guitars. I just look after them very well. That's the beauty of a players guitar - you can play 'em!

#7 ·
Yeah, I mixed the show for him that night. I think someone in his management knows someone in our management and they got wind that he was going to come to the show anyway so he ended up being invited. I didn't know he was coming before that morning and happened to have my favourite playing Ibanez with me (my RG570PN) at work. He is such a lovely, down-to-earth guy. In fact he was quite happy to hang around - I think he was pretty much dragged away by his friends in the end.

I should mention the second special guest as being Mike Keneally who is Satriani's keys and second guitar player. The guy is really a stunning musician. He's the guy you see playing live with Steve Vai back in the PAW days - no mean feat! I believe he's played with Frank Zappa and no doubt a heap of other top notch musicians. I should have got him to sign my guitar too! Our little work band opened for Mike a year or two ago because he was doing a small gig with our then drummer and guitarist from the show. It was our first and only gig so far. I didn't know who he was then - now I do ha-ha-ha!

We've had a few famous musicians come by, some come and say hello, some like to be low key. In any case my two favourite musician visits were Joe here in Sydney and Bill & Brann from Mastodon in Atlanta. Sometimes my job does not suck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.