Anyone on site live in Austin TX??? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Anyone on site live in Austin TX???

I am a 54 years young, playing semi pro for 40 years, and moving to Austin to go Pro. I have a full blown recording studio which will be setup in my living room. Top of line Roland Vdrums, Moog Sub 37 synth, Dave Smith prophet 6, Native instruments 61 keybaord controller with Komplete Ultimate and too many boutiqe VSTs to list. Fender Jazz, and the coolest piece of gear is of course the headphone amp which allows 6 people to jam with headphones and sound like we are playing Madison Square Garden without neighbors hearing a sound.
My DAW is Ableton and plan on gigging using Ableton as I also play MIDI guitar.

If you are from Austin, are a pro, and want to possibly try to collaborate on some projects, please PM me. I am flying out this Monday to check out the different zip codes and figure out where to live. Of course I am treating myself to a new Harley. For any riders, Harley came out with a new 107 inc CC engine this year.

IN case you are wondering, I did not hit lotto nor am I wealthy. I was in such a horrific accident a few years ago, I broke every bone in my body, was pronounced dead, had brain injury and it took 4 years to recover. I got my settlement check which was not a lot of money because my attorneys sucked ass but I realize how blessed I am to be able to go pro and not worry about paying rent as I am fully disabled.

I am also trying to figure out best zip code to live, where the best open jams are etc.

If you are from Austin, I would love to hear from you and get your advice where you would live. It's crazy because if you are willing to live a few miles outside of city, rents are like $900 for a kickass beautiful modern apt. They have 2 bed 2 bath for $1100. That is $5000 in NYC.

Please PM me or feel free to give me a buzz. 908-267-3788. Yes, I know it's a NJ number, but that's what happens when you have a brain injury.

Rock on my friends.

BobbyD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 PM

Re: Anyone on site live in Austin TX???

well I dont live in Austin but have visited quite a few times. You'll want to avoid downtown unless you plan on working there and have little need to commute. Mopac is messed up and 35 is usually a struggle. South Austin isn't too bad, round rock/Pflugerville are pretty nice. You also have some beautiful land/homes out and around Lake Travis.

Austin has exploded over the past 10 years, and the city has struggled to manage the amount of traffic. It is a cool place to be because there is always something going on, but it has most of the same issues as any other large city. Rent and home prices are no exception. Though not as expensive as LA or NY, rent and home prices in the Austin area have been on a steady rise.

Best of luck to you, It is a unique city all it's own.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
well I dont live in Austin but have visited quite a few times. You'll want to avoid downtown unless you plan on working there and have little need to commute. Mopac is messed up and 35 is usually a struggle. South Austin isn't too bad, round rock/Pflugerville are pretty nice. You also have some beautiful land/homes out and around Lake Travis.

Austin has exploded over the past 10 years, and the city has struggled to manage the amount of traffic. It is a cool place to be because there is always something going on, but it has most of the same issues as any other large city. Rent and home prices are no exception. Though not as expensive as LA or NY, rent and home prices in the Austin area have been on a steady rise.

Best of luck to you, It is a unique city all it's own.
Thanks so much for the solid advice. Funny thing is I worked in NYC for most of my Corp career. Worked in Wall Street for 3 years, spent 7 years in Times Square, but always left the concrete jungle and lived right outside in the burbs. I was thinking how cool it would have been to live in 78701 zip code which is downtown Austin. My realtor turns out to be one of the top bass players in Austin, played with Jonny Lang, rides a Harley and became a close friend literally after 10 minutes on phone. My gut tells me I will be playing with his at some point. Either him or my other dear friend who is an Ableton Certified instructor which is a DAW like Pro Tools. He is also a kickass bass player as well and is gigging Wednesday night.

I kid you not, and I have the listings if you want to see them, and if you are willing to live 2 milies outside the city, you can rent a beautiful modern apt with backyard for $795. I have a boatload of listings for $800- $850. You can get a two bedroom two bath for $1050. That is 5K in NYC. I am going to do a 3 month lease than buy a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo. I have this cool idea of setting up a bed & breakfast for burnout musicians. For one week, you get your own room & bath, access to my entire recording studio, if you want to go to a jam, you can use one of axes, and included in the package will be a two hour private lesson of the instrument of your choice from a pro or study sound design , MIDI etc with Jimmy Allison who is fluent in Ableton & Logic. . This will include meals which will either be organic green juices for a juice fast or using a nutribullet and have healthy shakes with vegetables fruits, etc. NO drinking allowed if you want to use studio. If the guest wants to go out and watch live music, I will take him/her or they can pay for Lift which is a service like Uber. I am thinking 1K for the week, Personally, I would pay 2K for a vacation like that. But 1K covers my rent so I am good. You are the very first stranger I am running this by. Yes, no, maybe? Either I am a genius or an idiot. No middle ground. I love constructive criticism. My ego left dodge a long time ago. I think I am going to start posting this idea in music forums and see the feedback I get. I think a week in Austin for 7 days with the full use of a recording studio, meals, lessons, open jam nights is a dream vacation for any musician, especially a blues cat. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. God Bless

BobbyD
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 03:47 PM

if you are set on the downtown area, try right on the south side of the colorado/lady bird lake. It would be 78704. That is a pretty nice area and isn't terribly expensive. Congress st. has a lot going on, also further west toward Zilker Park has a lot going.

A music based b&b would be cool, it would work if you got in with some of the club/bar owners and were able to meet some of the people coming through doing shows. The more people you know the better. There is certainly no shortage of very talented musicians so what you are trying to do may just boil down to getting your name out there and building a good reputation.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:22 PM

im 3 hours from you in Dallas. Been to Austin many times, have family there and in wimberly. You are correct about the rent, it is a college town haha. Would love to jam, working on material for my first album too
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie7 View Post
im 3 hours from you in Dallas. Been to Austin many times, have family there and in wimberly. You are correct about the rent, it is a college town haha. Would love to jam, working on material for my first album too
Flying into Dallas tomorrow .Buddy picking me up at airport and then 3 hour drive to Austin. I had a change of plans. Instead of trying to find out which Zip code to live in within a week, I am going to grab a 3 month lease for like $850 in 78704 which is a hip place. Fly back home to NYC on 27th, pack a POD move to TX 3/15.

Dallas is a far drive for you. I tell you this. I have deep respect for musicians like you who are passionate enough to drive 3 hours. You will have a blast if you come down. My realtor turns out to be tone of the top top Session bass player in Austin and plays with Jonny Lang. We are now buddies and will be jamming together at any open mics or in my studio. He knows everyone. I also been studying Ableton which is the DAW I use for recording with Jimmy Allison in Austin who is the coolest, badass, righteous musician from TX and one of 82 Ableton certified trainers in USA. So I am plugged in with his group as well.

PM me anytime to chat.

Rock on!!

BobbyD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:32 PM

Some nostalgia for me reading this --

I lived in Austin throughout the 70s, going to UT and playing in bands the whole time. Ah, the beloved Armadillo World Headquarters... Shiva's Headband... The Electromagnets (Eric Johnson)... the Vaughan brothers... the birth of the whole "Cosmic Cowboy" thing (Willie, Jerry Jeff Walker, too many more to name)... Inner Sanctum Records... Les Amis Café... (sigh)

Rent was $85 for half of a duplex with a big fenced back yard, and a 5 minute bike ride to the U.

Those were heady times that pretty much changed my world view, not to mention my musical tastes. So have fun there! I know it's changed, but I don't doubt that whatever it is now will be cool and special in its own way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode