Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  EL-CeeDee 
#1 ·
ok guys, so i know power chords, and power chords simplified in drop D. but i really want some new stuff. I want a new sound, but i don't know any more chord progressions. Even just basic chords that sound awesome. Remember, these are for rock. I really neeed help here!

#2 ·
Hmm,. So I guess we're talking basics...

1 4 5 suits most rock and/or pop music..

A bit of theory:
First you make a scale of the root.
let's say we're in C major
C D E F G A B C
You can number these notes :
1C 2D 3E 4F 5G 6A 7B 8C

So 1 4 5 = C F G
Then build the chords from the C, F and G
(a basic chord is made from a 1, 3 and 5 )
first the C: 1C 3E 5G
then the F: 1F 3A 5C ( which are notes 4 6 8 from C, but we're making an F )
then the G: 1G 3B 5D
Back to chords : C - F - G ( all major chords )

So whack some C F and G chords together and off you go :D

For some different flavours:
try building chords with formulas like:
1-3-5-7
1-3-5-9 ( 9 = 2 but octave higher )
1-2-5
1-4-5
1-5-9

or whatever you feel like :D

Or try a different angle:
First, play a bass line, very clean and simple.
Now, from each bass note, construct a chord by ear. Just let your mind wonder and make some nice sounding chord. Make it so that all those happy little chords fit nicely together.

Or try making chords from modes:
Lydian, locrian, phrygian, mixolydian, whatever you like :D
( see countless resources on the web to check out how modes work, just google the above names )

or even different:
Drop chords all together, just make a nice melody, record it, record another melody on top, etc.

Or far out:
Make other sounds with your instrument, bang it, slap it, bend it, thwack it, mute it, kiss it, whatever.

In short :
JUST LET THE JUICES FLOW AND USE YOUR MIND AND EARS.

#7 ·
Ok, here we go :

The same as from any scale !

For example, again, C major:
C D E F G A B C
building basic chords from every note in the scale:
C ( C E G )
Dm ( D F A )
Em ( E G B )
F ( F A C )
G ( G B D )
Am ( A C E )
Bdim ( B D F )
( If this process is NOT clear, please ask )

Now, instead of C major, let's take C lydian. It's identical to the major scale, but has a raised 4th:
1C 2D 3E 4F# 5G 6A 7B 8C
making the chords:
C ( C E G )
D ( D F# A )
Em ( E G B )
F#dim ( F# A C )
G ( G B D )
Am ( A C E )
Bm ( B D F# )

Concluding:
C major : C - Dm - Em - F - G - Am - Bdim
C lydian : C - D - Em - F#dim - G - Am - Bm

There are other ways to arrive at the chords and notes in a mode, but to me, this one gives the best impression of what I'm going to hear.
Complicated facts:
In fact, the C lydian mode has the same notes as a G major scale. So if you were to play G - C - D chords, it might as well be a G major 1-4-5 chord progression. So, you have to choose your progression wisely to actually give it the lydian sound. Even funnier: If you were to play C - Em - G - Am chords. There would be no way of telling whether you're in C lydian or C major ( or G major ). This is because you never use an F or F#, the note is left undefined. So you COULD play both C lydian and C major over it. Our ear however will expect and F ( try it ! ).

For conclusion a little diagram I used a lot, it describes all modes from the major scale, in other words, what changes to make to the notes of a major scale for the desired mode. Note: Ionian scale = major scale.

Scale 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Ionian - - - - - - -
Dorian - - b - - - b
Phrygian - b b - - b b
Lydian - - - # - - -
Mixolydian - - - - - - b
Aeolian - - b - - b b
Locrian - b b - b b b
( doesn't translate well, due to spaces, you should get the picture though )

( b = flatten note, # = sharpen note )
Example C locrian :
C major : C D E F G A B C
C locrian:C Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C

#15 · (Edited)
Yep, that's right !

you probably already know all the musical notes :
C C#/Db D D#/Eb E F F#/Gb G G#/Ab A A#/Bb B
( a # raises the pitch by a half step, a b drops the pitch by a half step. )
The notes with /'s are the same pitch, so C# = Db

Let's call a step from a note to the next a semi tone. so D to D#/Eb is a semi tone (sometimes called a half step, equals one fret up ).
A step in which we skip a note is called a tone. G to A is a tone, because we skipped G#/Ab ( sometimes called a whole step, equals two frets up )

To derive a major scale from any root take the following steps:
Find a root, let's say C ( I looove C,.. so simple to type )
take the following steps :
Tone - tone - semi tone - tone - tone - tone - semi tone
let's type t for tone and s for semitone :
C -t- D -t- E -s- F -t- G -t- A -t- B -s- C
And thus we arrive at the C major scale used earlier : C D E F G A B C
Try making some major scales for yourself, start in any place and make the tone and semi tone steps. Try playing a major scale on a string, with the open string as the root, making the same steps as above.

For a minor key or scale, we take a different combination of steps:
Tone - semi tone - tone - tone - semi tone - tone - tone
In A ( once again, easy to type )
A -t- B -s- C -t- D -t- E -s- F -t- G -t- A
And with this formula, you can make any minor scale.

So major:
T - T - S - T - T - T - S
and minor:
T - S - T - T - S - T - T

If you observed the tone, semi tone sequence carefully, you will have noticed they are the same, but start in different places !
to clarify:
T - T - S - T - T - T - S - T - T - S - T - T - T - S ( 2x major sequence )
------------------T - S - T - T - S - T - T ( the minor sequence )

This is why Cmajor and Aminor are made up of the same notes ! Which I used cleverly to avoid typing any #'s and b's :D

There are different ways of determining the notes in a key, but I find this one an easy one to start with, since it is very visual and easily applicable to a guitar.

#11 ·

There's also alot of Googling you can do to learn for free. There are used books off of Amazon for under $15 that are great. Then if you want to go all out you can spend $45 to get Doug Doppler's Diatonic Theory DVD and have enough material to learn for a year.

By the way, talking in C major is the easiest as it doesn't have any flats or sharps in it's modes. Everything else does.

Google "guitar chord progressions" and start playing around with what you find. Use jazz phrasings as well.

#16 ·

LOL...Thanks for nothing? Dude, I'm not going to sit here and write you a book on music theory and chord progressions. Plus, someone else has already got you on the right track of coming up with new stuff, and even writing you that book. The next step is what I said - research online, buy some books with progressions in them, maybe get some instructional DVDs, learn some basic music theory. For that matter, go to your local public library and pick up some music books for FREE.

#17 ·
Sorry, I misunderstood. The hard part about the internet is things can get misconstrued sometimes. I've had people get mad at me when I was only joking because sarcasm doesn't relate well. I just dislike overinflated arrogance of some performers. But as I have been told before, you find this in all walks of life.

#14 ·
EL-CeeDee,
That made a lot of sense to me; I know my modes well, but have trouble thinking of chords, so this has helped me a lot. Thank you!

(I don't understand what is wrong with yoyo and gc; I hope they don't discourage you from a second section when you get a chance)

#23 ·
courtney... you're wasting your time... he has an attitude problem, not a "where is the library" or "what is google" problem.

gc... its ok, i don't mind, I just didn't want to dampen ECD's enthusiasm.
all's good.
and yes, the internet is weird like that, but the good thing is that you can post after to explain.

#25 ·
courtney... you're wasting your time... he has an attitude problem, not a "where is the library" or "what is google" problem.

gc... its ok, i don't mind, I just didn't want to dampen ECD's enthusiasm.
all's good.
and yes, the internet is weird like that, but the good thing is that you can post after to explain.
Thank you. I really don't mean to seem like an ass. I love playing the guitar with every fiber of my being, but I have so much to learn. I feel very passionately about the guitar. Gawd, it almost sounds like I'm going to hump the thing. Heeheehee

I quit playing for years and I don't want that to happen again. I feel like I am starting to progress and go somewhere.

I really liked and read the info ECD put out.

#24 ·
I understand somewhat where yoyo is coming from. Sometimes the books are not clear and to the point. And not all of us are google proficient or book savvy. Some of the guitar books are like trying to decipher Galelic. Personally, I come here because I look up to you guys/gals as experts and sometimes a personal explanation is so much better than a textbook one. I have bought tons of books, but sometimes I don't seek my answers.

I originally came here for theory and technique advice. I haven't in all honesty been on a guitar forum or any forum site for that matter. Part of why I have stayed away for a little while is I was a little discouraged. Not all of us are experts at the guitar. I'm not too proud to admit this.

I'm not trying to upset anyone or anything, but sometimes I wished there was a greater level of tolerance and understanding to newbies. Why can't we discuss technique more? I would love to talk technique all day long.

Sorry, I don't mean to rant. In all honesty, I appreciate all the help I receive on this site.

#28 ·
I'm not trying to upset anyone or anything, but sometimes I wished there was a greater level of tolerance and understanding to newbies.

You're not upsetting me at all. Hopefully yoyo isn't upset either. I love to help out newbies. I just don't have the time to sit down and write out a ton of stuff. I'm sorry...I just don't have that kind of time. But what I did offer was great advice. If he's done the online research, then he can find alot of good info. in the public library. Doug's DVD is awesome. And El Cee Dee is spending all the time writing everything out. What more could he ask for.

#29 ·
Well,.. once again chiming in.

I really don't mind anyone asking questions, even if the answer is somewehere on google. Most answers are findable on google, ranging from Where is Paris Hilton? to how does nuclear fusion work ?
Thing is, like guitarchick said, sometimes a personal explanation is way more efficient. As you can tell from this topic, we hooked up to something deeper than the initial question. Reaching a more profound knowledge of the fundamentals that form the essence of further exploration of knowledge and skill.

So, in short, to keep myself from typing a million words again.

please ask questions, please ask the silly ones, the funny ones, the ones you can't ask your mom or dad, or the one your guitarteacher smirks at.
A forum is made for sharing knowledge, so let's do that!

If someone can't relate to the information on google, in books or on some DVD. I'll answer any question gladly ( if I have the time :D )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.