<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours

Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours Post news about bands (including yours!), or talk about other music, CDs, DVDs, videos, tours or appearances.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:03 AM
(a)

Reviews: 3

Christian guitarists, can I get your opinion?

www.myspace.com/jayfrisby

Hey everyone. I know there are atleast a few other people on here that play on a worship team or in a christian band. I welcome comment from everyone but am mostly looking for other people who have experience playing in churches.

There are a couple of songs on my myspace page. I recorded them live with my Zoom H4n and obviously the vocals could have been mixed a little better but I'd just like to get your overall opinion. The singer had the flu so excuse his weak voice. I would reccomend listening to the songs on headphones or a good set of speakers. So much of the music is lost in laptop speakers.

I am working on some more songs, they won't be as mellow as the ones I have up now.

Jay
Old 06-21-2009, 07:40 AM

Reviews: 2
Smile

Re: Christian guitarists, can I get your opinion?

I hate that kind of music.

I had to sing with a pentecostal worship band here in Romania. They copy everything they hear in an american band. They have the discs at the rehearsal and they make sure they do everything the same, exactly.

And they oblige the soloist to copy the solos. then I hear them claiming "this is the best guitarist". Three days I looked for an electric saw to cut off their head.

I just can't stand that word "worship". It was the most traumatic experience for me. I didn't play for a month after that. I was scared to look at my guitar. Really traumatic experience.

I hate worship bands.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Reviews: 1

Is that the kind of music your Church usually plays Jay?

Or is there others as well.

Different churches play different types of worship music.

Our youth group goes for this style :

http://www.planetshakers.com/music/latest.php (scroll down to see/hear examples, and note this isn't the site for my church lol)

But that may be different to yours.

I think when it comes to playing in church bands, you need to have songs from both the mellow AND the upbeat style. It prevents you from gettign into a rut where peopel start thinking there is only ONE way to do it, because there isn't just one.

And of course the MAIN, massively important factor is that you're doing it for the right reasons. If you're in a worship band for actual worship, then you're on track!
Old 06-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochimaru View Post

I had to sing with a pentecostal worship band here in Romania. They copy everything they hear in an american band. They have the discs at the rehearsal and they make sure they do everything the same, exactly.

And they oblige the soloist to copy the solos. then I hear them claiming "this is the best guitarist". Three days I looked for an electric saw to cut off their head.

I just can't stand that word "worship". It was the most traumatic experience for me. I didn't play for a month after that. I was scared to look at my guitar. Really traumatic experience.

I hate worship bands.

Awesome
Old 06-21-2009, 04:24 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochimaru View Post

I hate worship bands.

Funny, our band is all about applying our own flavor to the songs we play. Everything I play is improvised. Did you even listen to the songs or simply read the title and jumped onboard for an easy flame? On the other hand, I share your distaste for musical programs with those attributes.

Purist - Ya when it is our rotation we play a lot of stuff along those lines. Neither of those songs are high on my list of songs that we do really well. I was a bone head and forgot to record the first 5 or 6 songs we ran through that morning (before church)

Like I said, I am working on more songs and am making progress with the recording equipment/live mix to get a better recording. My plan is to get an album together and burn 100-200 cd's and give them out for free at local store fronts and what not. The cd's will include a leaflet with directions to the church and time of the service.

So far I have learned that the band needs to be in the groove 100% to get a good live recording. I was home from work for a few days last week and we threw everything together and pushed record. Unfortunately we just didn't bring our A-games and just about all of the material is useless. Oh well, I am going to stick with recording our pre-service run throughs, hopefully with better luck.

Jay
Old 06-21-2009, 05:01 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRobIBZ View Post
Funny, our band is all about applying our own flavor to the songs we play. Everything I play is improvised. Did you even listen to the songs or simply read the title and jumped onboard for an easy flame? On the other hand, I share your distaste for musical programs with those attributes.

Purist - Ya when it is our rotation we play a lot of stuff along those lines. Neither of those songs are high on my list of songs that we do really well. I was a bone head and forgot to record the first 5 or 6 songs we ran through that morning (before church)

Like I said, I am working on more songs and am making progress with the recording equipment/live mix to get a better recording. My plan is to get an album together and burn 100-200 cd's and give them out for free at local store fronts and what not. The cd's will include a leaflet with directions to the church and time of the service.

So far I have learned that the band needs to be in the groove 100% to get a good live recording. I was home from work for a few days last week and we threw everything together and pushed record. Unfortunately we just didn't bring our A-games and just about all of the material is useless. Oh well, I am going to stick with recording our pre-service run throughs, hopefully with better luck.

Jay
It's no flame.

Anyway all the Christian bands sound identical. I can see no diference.

They sound very much like U2, Coldplay and other stuff like that.

I just don't like that kind of music.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:37 PM
(a)

Thats fine. When I picked up guitar I was a Satriani and Vai addict. I used to play like that but as time went on I began to be more interested in the songs as a whole and lately I have had a much more understated style concentrating on song textures and ambience. I will take your comments as a compliment because my main influences as of late have been Coldplay, Delirious, Incubus, and several indie bands. What I would like to get to some day is something along the lines of "heavier" Coldplay" with a more attention grabbing lead guitar. It is the guitar in those bands that draw me to them; so subtle and yet in context they are SO powerful. I love it.

Last edited by JayRobIBZ; 06-22-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 PM

sounds cool to me JayRob!..
see my "Father's Day" post for what we do in our services and televised programming.. Satriani and Lincoln Brewster this weekend..
Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRobIBZ View Post
Thats fine. When I picked up guitar I was a Satriani and Vai addict. I used to play like that but as time went on I began to be more interested in the songs as a whole and lately I have had a much more understated style concentrating on song textures and ambience. I will take your comments as a compliment because my main influences as of late have been Coldplay, Delirious, Incubus, and several indie bands. What I would like to get to some day is something along the lines of "heavier" Coldplay" with a more attention grabbing lead guitar. It is the guitar in those bands that draw me to them; so subtle and yet in context they are SO powerful. I love it.
I'm not commenting to reply or rebuke anything anyones said, so if you read what I wrote with that on your mind you'll miss what I'm saying. I'm simply talking to you like a christian brother and just telling another guitarist about how things are growing in me musically for the Lord's sake. And maybe a little encouragement too.

I play worship music with 65 year old ladies at church. I used to be kind of put off by it, but I started to pray for the Lord to use me and he's blessed me by playing with these ladies. also, I started to stop thinking about "my music, my guitar skills, my technique," and started to get my eyes more on Jesus, which is what worship is for. Still have a lot of work for the Lord to do though.

I was like you man, for the last 17 years (from ages 9-26) of playing guitar it's all been about being a cool amazing guitarist. I listened to music with Vai, Satch, Petrucci and all. I also became a big metal head. It's fine to listen to what you want so this isn't about that, but since we're both christians I'll tell you what started to turn me around.

I started studying the Bible more and in the verses about "all glory, honor and praise (Rev4:11)," really got me thinking about what I play and listen to. Who is getting the glory honor and praise? There is a lot of music out there that gives glory, honor and praise to things I don't want to have a part in. So whether or not the instrumentation is amazing I just can't relate any more, if you know what I mean. I started thinking like you did about the song as a whole like you did.

The words started to stand out to me in new ways too. You know, words are important, I used to convince myself they weren't really too important for the music I like, but now it's changed. So I started to get into music that glorifies the Lord and talks about walking with Him. Regardless of the skills of the musicians, (well to a point they have to make coherent music of course). Yeah a lot of Christian music is repetitive, but some of it's genius, and a lot of the songs that I think are inspired by the Holy Spirit are beyond simple audio, if you catch my meaning.

I really got into Thrid Day recently because they aren't ashamed even though they sell millions of records and win awards, and they do write good songs. And I started to realize that christian music maybe doesn't sound so amazing instrumentally because the people are focusing on something besides thier own musical glory or goals. I don't really know, but I want the messages more than anything today. I need them, I don't need any more sex, drugs and rock and roll personally. I don't need songs about cars anymore. Or politics or whatever for that matter. I just want my eyes on Jesus.

Take care bro.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM
(a)

Im on my lunch break so I don't have much time to comment but I must say I agree with you 100%. I will sit down and expand here in about 6.5 hours.

Jay
Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
I'm not commenting to reply or rebuke anything anyones said, so if you read what I wrote with that on your mind you'll miss what I'm saying. I'm simply talking to you like a christian brother and just telling another guitarist about how things are growing in me musically for the Lord's sake. And maybe a little encouragement too.

I really got into Thrid Day recently because they aren't ashamed even though they sell millions of records and win awards, and they do write good songs.
I know Mark through Twitter and he's gotta be one of the nicest dudes on the internetz.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:42 AM
(a)

Petie, I am assuming you are talking about Mark Lee. I have been frequenting his blog the last few weeks but he hasn't been posting anything, unfortunately.

Kotornut, I totally get where you are coming from. I admit I attend the church I do because I think the music is far superior on a musical level than any other church in my area. However, the REAL reason I attend the church is because of the authenticity. Both the pastoral staff and musicians are there for the real deal. I have a problem with overly organized and programmy worship/church services and this church is based around the movement and leadership of the Holy Spirit. It is kind of free form I guess you could say. For the most part we don't know exactly how we are going to play the songs we chose nor do we even know that we will stick to that song list. We offer up our praise and talents to God and let him move the service in whichever direction he so chooses. After all, the most beautiful and emotionally moving music in the world doesn’t mean a thing if it isn’t the SPIRIT moving the people.

I feel closer to God and get 99% of my spiritual nourishment while I am leading worship. That is just how I was created, and as a result of that I tend to shy away from "outdated" old people praise and worship. I know the folly in that; we should be able to worship God on the same level no matter what the circumstances. However, I believe there is a reason for the new direction Christian music is going and I believe that I am called to be a part of it. So I don't feel so bad about my distaste. I look at it as a missionary not being especially excited about becoming a pastor or something of the like. It isn't his calling and he shouldn't try to do the job he wasn't meant to fulfill. I see a clear distinction between the different musical styles. (And it isn’t really right to classify them as old people or young people music. It just depends on what speaks to you I guess)

Anyway, it’s great to talk to someone with similar experiences to my own. I hope we can keep the conversation up (if they will let us).

I haven’t really said all I wanted to but I have to change rooms before I go to bed. (It’s tough being a temporary worker on the slope; always jumping rooms)

Jay
Old 06-25-2009, 12:50 AM

I agree man, the Spirits guidence grounded in the word is all we need. Sounds like a great church.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:00 PM

The ambiance is really cool, I always give an ear to this kind of music from time to time. I just find it funny sometimes when people call the music "white metal" as opposed to "black metal", as if genres are defined by the lyrics :/
Old 06-28-2009, 03:23 PM

I forgot to mention I had to play with that "christian" band for a while because they offered me a guitar for playing with them. At that time I had no guitar.

After any time spent with the band I used to go home and listen to hardest heavy-metal. That helped me cope with living after having to deal with such a band.

Tags
christian, church, h4n, recording, zoom

Show/Hide Posting Rules