<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours

Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours Post news about bands (including yours!), or talk about other music, CDs, DVDs, videos, tours or appearances.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:57 PM

David Chastain/Joe Stump

Anyone listen to these guys? Chastain was one of my heroes back in my shred/metal days, and i still like some of his older albums. I got to see him play live twice, and his hands were flying across the fretboard. He had a way of playing across the fretboard (from the 1st fret across to the higher frets) that i've never seen another player do. Unfrotunately, a lot of his vocal music may be unlistenable to many people due to the gravelly voiced female singers he prefers, but his first couple of instrumental albums ("Instrumental Variations", and "Within The Heat") are IMO classics of the shred genre.
Stump is an Yngwie disciple, and since i'm not too keen on the whole neo-classical thing, i don't really listen to him. But he has phenomenal technique, and can definitely play with some feeling on occasion.
peace
Old 07-23-2005, 01:12 AM
Banned

Re: David Chastain/Joe Stump

Yeah, I never got into stump for 2 reasons.

1.there's already an yngwie

2.the name "joe stump" sounds like someone from alabama your anas should be seriously afraid of
Old 07-23-2005, 04:27 AM

yes, but joe stump is an all-instrumental yngwie... no extraneous 10-15 tracks to pretend that people who listen to vocal songs will listen to will listen to guitar gods if they enlist the help of singers who alienate the shredders that listen to the guitar gods in the first place... (talk about run-on sentences (ramblings).

ok, anyway, stump is great. sure, he sounds like yngwie, but he sounds like hendrix and blackmore a whole lot when he wants to.

when did yngwie release an all-instrumental album? just the concerto suite to be technical. even rising force had to voc songs.

besides all that, stump is creative. sure, he sounds like his influences, but who here doesn't, really? he has some incredible leads, melodies and harmonies, that have to have yngiwe being jealous of at least a few.

maybe he's a bit sloppy, and not the most unique artist ever, but i f'ing love joe stump's music.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:53 AM

Joe is pretty good .

Regards

André
Old 07-23-2005, 05:09 AM

Joe Stump is awesome. Admittedly there is only 1 Yngwie, but Stump can still play with the best of them. I really like his stuff. I love all that neo-classical shred stuff. Some people dont like it obviously, but their sort of music is a very specific taste. You have to at least appreciate the technical skill of these players. If you dont......your just plain jealous. These guys can play stuff you cant even dream of.

Its a shame really, because Stump isnt that well known. But some of his stuff is great. And his custom ESP guitars are lovely too.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:44 AM

Come on man technique isn't that important. Everybody can play anything with proper training and patience. I don't admire anything these guys do and I'm no way jealous of them. I cannot get something from their songs. Their songs are just plain technical stuff without any emotion in them.

Tags
joe stump

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

is joe stump better than malmsteen?
how do I get david gilmour's tone?

Show/Hide Posting Rules