<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours

Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours Post news about bands (including yours!), or talk about other music, CDs, DVDs, videos, tours or appearances.

Old 08-02-2003, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
I am terrible. I used to think I was good, but that was before I got better. The older I get, the more I know I have farther to go.
This is the same with anything that requires a lot of practice...

Bruce Lee said that when he started taking martial arts, a kick was just a kick, a punch was just a punch... when he got better, a kick was no longer a kick, a punch was no longer a punch... when he finally understood it all, a kick was just a kick, a punch was just a punch...

In other words, whatever it is you do, laid out in front of you doesn't seem so complicated. After a while, you find out there's so much to learn, so many details, and what you thought you were doing just isn't what it seemed like anymore. Once you learn it, it all becomes simplistic second nature, back to square one, full circle... so a circle is really a square.

Anyway, being humble about it is the best way to go in my opinion. Learn as much as you can, and enjoy yourself. There is always someone out there who can blow you out of the water even if you think you're the best. You can be good and know it, but rubbing it in someone's face is only going to irritate them into getting better than you and then you can't brag anymore and all you can do is cry in fits of depression and sell all of your guitars and then live alone forever and ever.

A circle really is a square.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
That's a great thing about Davester though...he's a frikin' great guitarist but doesn't go on and on about it. Nothing is more admirable- wish more people were like that in general.
Thank you kindly, and you too mange and dex. There really isn't anything more irritating than someone who can't get over themselves..and besides, it limits your growth on your instrument a lot as well.

as for the age thing, I have to disagree with a lot of what's being said. You can always spot diamonds in the rough at a young age, ie, 4/5 years old. Often, the kids who get things quick and excell at early ages are those that have the potential to become the most monstrous musicians ever, given the right tools.

While age should never be a crutch, it certainly is valid when it comes to recognizing raw and pure talent. Kid's who can play vai exceptionally well are (with the right training) destined to big things, provided they are developed properly, because they HAVE it. You know because most adults playing for 30 years can't get to that point, because they DON"T have it, no matter how much they practice. Not everyone has the gift of music, you can't really develop it from nothing.

I've seen kids practice piano for a few minutes a day, and excell past kids who've played for hours straight for years.
They just had that x factor.

They are different even from the adults who DEVELOPED it, over a few decades. Success at a young age signifies raw, unadulterate musical inclination.

What I'm saying is that it is worth every once of breath mentioning age when it comes to young prodigy's. The ability to accomplish things musically at a young age and with extremely limited training [its a given considering how long they've been alive ] is something that hardly anyone can do. If you have an 8 year old who can play vai after playing for a year, you've got something special, that's as much a guarantee as the maple leafs failing to win the cup. It takes most guys 4-5 years at least [of heavy playing] to even copy moderately well.

Fact is, its NOT just about practicing, its about what you have inside to offer, and not everyone has it in them to be a musician. Guys can practice for years, intently, and never achieve anything, and others do so with great ease....that's a gift, and you can spot those people at very young ages, if there lucky enough to have the means to show people what they can do.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:02 AM

Re: How good of guitarists are you jemsiters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Boogie
I am sitting here playing some ynvwie malmsteen and petrucci licks(im 15!) and I was just wondering how good all of you jemsiters are? How much time to you practice, and do you use a metranome? BE HONEST!!!
That's great that you can play music other people wrote. How good can you write?

Because at the end O' the day, no one cares about another guy that can play JP or Malmsteen stuff, because that's not original.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but a little reality never hurt anybody. Neither did punctuation.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:11 AM

Songwriting is what I'm having the biggest problem with. The bottom line is it takes a lot of time and self decipline. Some days, the ideas just flow out like crazy, other days I can't even play a rhythm I like, much less any melodies or vocals or solos. It's very hard to pull out the music inside you.

The day I could play Satch's "Summer Song" and Dream Theater's "Voices" was a glorious day, then I found what a small achievement it really was. A great achievement, mind you, but a small one in the great scheme of things.

The day I started listening to Opeth, my entire view of music and songwriting shifted, and I gained a much more mature working attitude. Also, the day I started listening to Opeth, my love of Death Metal was born. A style of music I previously never would have listened to

Satch Boogie, take pride in your shredding abilities. Now go learn to play some classical and Jazz guitar!!!! NOW!! I mean, it's exactly what I did and it has worked for me quite well, so I recommend it (I'm a hypocritic idiot).

Mr. Orange, you are a funny man.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:31 AM

I can't believe some people are ripping on a 15 year old kid. Then in the same post telling how good they are.

He's fifteen years old for cryin' out loud, give him a break.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:17 AM

This is awful , im cringing when I'm reading this thread folks. This kid just wanted to know how good jemsite players were , he mentioned him playing petrucci and yngwie licks and only being 15 but so what , he didn't deserve all this , one started ripping into him , then you all followed , very weak imo , and people mocking him about his spelling and grammar , how do you know this kid aint dyslexic or something ? , totally out of order , I think if you wanna tell this kid to stop showing off , the first post would of done it , not another 30 after saying the same thing. Sorry guys , i don't wanna fall out with anybody but this thread has upset me greatly , if you're wondering why the kid aint replied yet , its probably because hes left the forum after all the abuse he's been getting
Edit : typo
Old 08-02-2003, 12:03 PM

i don't find anything overbearing in what he's said either
Old 08-02-2003, 12:21 PM

As for me, I have my moments...but I'm not original. Most of the time, I just play along with records...and I have fun doing it!

Anyway...people focus in my pretty guitars so I can be lame!
Old 08-02-2003, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwamajama
I can't believe some people are ripping on a 15 year old kid. Then in the same post telling how good they are.

Nobody's ripping on him, no one called him names or anything like that. We're just saying there's a whole lot more to playing than just mirroring your favorite guitar player(s).

I did find his initial post to be a bit of the egotistical variety, but whatever, he's 15.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:01 PM

I wonder where Satch Boogie dissappeared to in this thread.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
This is awful , im cringing when I'm reading this thread folks. This kid just wanted to know how good jemsite players were , he mentioned him playing petrucci and yngwie licks and only being 15 but so what , he didn't deserve all this , one started ripping into him , then you all followed , very weak imo , and people mocking him about his spelling and grammar , how do you know this kid aint dyslexic or something ? , totally out of order , I think if you wanna tell this kid to stop showing off , the first post would of done it , not another 30 after saying the same thing. Sorry guys , i don't wanna fall out with anybody but this thread has upset me greatly , if you're wondering why the kid aint replied yet , its probably because hes left the forum after all the abuse he's been getting
Edit : typo
You spoke like a true prodigy! My sentiments exactly.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwamajama

Nobody's ripping on him, no one called him names or anything like that. We're just saying there's a whole lot more to playing than just mirroring your favorite guitar player(s).

I did find his initial post to be a bit of the egotistical variety, but whatever, he's 15.
I dont see whats wrong with "mirroring" other guitarists. listening and playing along to great guitarists such as satriani and vai, and some great blues and jazz players is always nice. it shapes up your style and phrasing. If he wants to practice his playing by playing along vai cd's or whoever , I say go for it. 99% in thie forum were "original" and bought a jem because steve vai plays it, so who are we to tell a 15 year old player that playing to cd's all day isnt original (hope you understand its a small joke )
Old 08-02-2003, 02:44 PM

I'm 16, and the one thing that makes my ego huge is going into the music store and picking up a guitar next to all the other teenagers pumping out papa roach and the ocassional AC/DC and just blasting out some fast malmsteen licks! Sure, practicing and being original makes you good, but playing fast makes you 'cool'...(at least in the teenage world ) So give this guy a break, we're just teenagers.

. . . And I suck (unless I'm in the music store showin' off )
Old 08-02-2003, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMavenger
So give this guy a break, we're just teenagers.
I liked that.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:07 PM

I suck as well and I am thinking of throwing the towel and go for a regular job...

Tags
chris brooks, death metal, guitar players, guitar playing, joe satriani, john petrucci, larry carlton, music store, playing guitar, ricky garcia, satch boogie, steve lukather, steve vai, tony macalpine

Show/Hide Posting Rules