<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours

Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours Post news about bands (including yours!), or talk about other music, CDs, DVDs, videos, tours or appearances.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Re: PASSION AND WARFARE. WHAT DID IT DO FOR YOU.

LOL, okay...I'm a little pressed for time at the moment, but...

I entered a drawing thru Guitar School magazine...just sent in one entry, figured I wouldn't win, but ya never know. Got a call from the magazine about a month or so later informing me that I had won a UV7 and a lesson with Vai. Was told that they'd be contacting me later with the details. Months and months go by and I hadn't heard anything. Went to the NAMM show in January the next year and found the Guitar School magazine booth and talked to the editor (can't remember his name). He apologized for the delay and assured me that it was going to happen still. A few months later UPS suddenly shows up at my house and delivers the UV7. A few more months go by and I heard nothing about the lesson with Vai, so I basically just figured that it wasn't going to happen.
Then one day out of the blue I get a call from Vai's sister saying that they had been trying to track me down for a while and wanted to know if I was ready for the lesson. Of course I said yes, so she gave me a date and directions to Vai's house in Hollywood and told me to just show up and knock on his door. Part of the grand prize was to be flown into L.A. and to be chauferred by Limo to Vai's house, but since I live only about an hour away I ended up driving myself.

...to be continued...
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q247 View Post
LOL, okay...I'm a little pressed for time at the moment, but...

I entered a drawing thru Guitar School magazine...just sent in one entry, figured I wouldn't win, but ya never know. Got a call from the magazine about a month or so later informing me that I had won a UV7 and a lesson with Vai. Was told that they'd be contacting me later with the details. Months and months go by and I hadn't heard anything. Went to the NAMM show in January the next year and found the Guitar School magazine booth and talked to the editor (can't remember his name). He apologized for the delay and assured me that it was going to happen still. A few months later UPS suddenly shows up at my house and delivers the UV7. A few more months go by and I heard nothing about the lesson with Vai, so I basically just figured that it wasn't going to happen.
Then one day out of the blue I get a call from Vai's sister saying that they had been trying to track me down for a while and wanted to know if I was ready for the lesson. Of course I said yes, so she gave me a date and directions to Vai's house in Hollywood and told me to just show up and knock on his door. Part of the grand prize was to be flown into L.A. and to be chauferred by Limo to Vai's house, but since I live only about an hour away I ended up driving myself.

...to be continued...
Waiting on next part!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 AM

Actually, the band I was about to join was playing at Gazzarri's the night before the lesson, so after watching the band's show & hanging out with them afterward, my wife & I stayed in a hotel in Hollywood. We were only about 10 minutes from Steve's house so we headed straight there after breakfast. We pulled up to his house, parked on the street out front, and walked up to his door & knocked. Steve himself answered the door and invited us in. We walked up a flight of stairs & made a right hand turn into The Mothership (his studio). We first passed thru the control room and proceeded out into the studio where he had what I assumed were ALL of his guitars & amps. Jems, UV's, Marshalls, Carvins, etc... everywhere. I was told to bring a tape of myself so he could listen & evaluate my playing in order to give me the best lesson he could according to my ability. So we went back into the control room & popped my tape in and listened for about 5 minutes. We then went back out to the studio & Steve turned on a couple of Marshalls and we both plugged in. I was also told to bring the UV but when I opened the case Steve said, "Oh, you have one of those". I gather that he was not aware that it was part of the drawing's Grand Prize. He then mentioned that he was no longer playing his UV and that he was going back to 6 strings. I'm not positive, but I seem to remember that this was right about the time that he had just come off the Whitesnake tour (which would explain why it took so long to get around to doing the lesson).

...to be continued...
Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 AM

I'll post details of the lesson tomorrow, but in the meantime here's the only photo that was taken while we were there

Turns out that even though we brought a camera, we were pretty much awestruck and forgot to take pictures. This was taken as we were about to leave and my wife happened to remember the camera LOL
Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM

Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 PM

Reviews: 4

Wow... awesome story! Dig the picture, too. It's so 90s!
Interesting to hear Steve's thoughts on the UV He's always been a little fickle about them. When I saw him he seemed to like them again, not as a main instrument, but as just another tool in the arsenal.
Can't wait for the rest!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 PM

So the lesson started out with Vai playing a rhythm while he had me solo over it (talk about being intimidated). He started out playing Sweet Home Alabama (which was kind of surreal...Seve Vai playing some Lynrd Skynrd LOL) and had me improvise over it. At that point in my "career" I hadn't had much opportunity to solo in G major, but being a "metal guy" I had done plenty of soloing in E minor. The one thing that threw me off, though, was the 7 string. I had not played it much at all up til then, and I found it a bit confusing to look down & see B string where the E normally is, and an E where the A normally is, etc...So mainly I just tried to not play out of key. I did okay for a few minutes, then he stopped and told me that he was going to be changing keys every few bars and that I should try to keep up. This was particularly difficult for me because of my unfamiliarity with the UV. As a result, my soloing was really "mechanical" and "scale-like". After several minutes, Vai stopped me and said, "You obviously know your scales, but I'm not hearing much music". I had to agree with him, as I was barely keeping up with his key changes.
At this point he told me that he wanted me to keep soloing, but that I could only use two notes. I could play them any way I wanted, but I couldn't deviate in any way from those two notes. After about 15 minutes or so we stopped again and he told me that, "The point of this exercise was to be as creative as possible within those two notes. As hard as it is to be creative sometimes, it's even harder when your options are severely limited. But if you can be creative with little, it should be easier to be creative with a lot".
The next part of the lesson had to do with technique. He showed me a few of his techniques, like the "circular vibrato" that he was just beginning to use at the time. He also showed me some of the exercises that he had done over the years to increase left-hand strength & speed.
Lastly, he covered theory. He went over the basic modes and the chords that go with them and explained how the modes work. I was familiar with modes already, but he explained them in a way that I hadn't heard before. His approach is (was?) completely different than someone like Vinnie Moore (which is where I learned about modes), for instance. I don't remember exactly what he told me about modes, but I seem to remember thinking that it was very Jazz-like, very "proper" theory-wise.
We were there for about 2 hours altogether. As intimidating as it was at first, the biggest impression that he left me with is that not only is he a great musician (obviously), but that he is a really nice, down to earth guy. He made my wife and I feel very welcome in his home (studio). When I think about it, I'm amazed that he actually had someone like me in his home. What other "rock star" would do that? Probably no one these days. But here I was, just "some guy" that nobody knew, and not only did I have his phone number but I also had his address AND an invitation into his home. It still amazes me. And yes, I did go back...twice. As I mentioned I had forgotten about taking pictures and I also forgot about getting an autograph. So about a week later I called his sister and asked if I could bring my UV by to have him autograph it. She said yes, but that I'd have to leave it there for a few days until he got back from wherever he was and she'd have him sign it for me.
So I dropped it off to her, then went back a few weeks later & picked it up. Didn't get to talk to him again but I was okay with it. I figured I had taken up enough of his time already.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q247 View Post
So the lesson started out with Vai playing a rhythm while he had me solo over it (talk about being intimidated). He started out playing Sweet Home Alabama (which was kind of surreal...Seve Vai playing some Lynrd Skynrd LOL) and had me improvise over it. At that point in my "career" I hadn't had much opportunity to solo in G major, but being a "metal guy" I had done plenty of soloing in E minor. The one thing that threw me off, though, was the 7 string. I had not played it much at all up til then, and I found it a bit confusing to look down & see B string where the E normally is, and an E where the A normally is, etc...So mainly I just tried to not play out of key. I did okay for a few minutes, then he stopped and told me that he was going to be changing keys every few bars and that I should try to keep up. This was particularly difficult for me because of my unfamiliarity with the UV. As a result, my soloing was really "mechanical" and "scale-like". After several minutes, Vai stopped me and said, "You obviously know your scales, but I'm not hearing much music". I had to agree with him, as I was barely keeping up with his key changes.
At this point he told me that he wanted me to keep soloing, but that I could only use two notes. I could play them any way I wanted, but I couldn't deviate in any way from those two notes. After about 15 minutes or so we stopped again and he told me that, "The point of this exercise was to be as creative as possible within those two notes. As hard as it is to be creative sometimes, it's even harder when your options are severely limited. But if you can be creative with little, it should be easier to be creative with a lot".
The next part of the lesson had to do with technique. He showed me a few of his techniques, like the "circular vibrato" that he was just beginning to use at the time. He also showed me some of the exercises that he had done over the years to increase left-hand strength & speed.
Lastly, he covered theory. He went over the basic modes and the chords that go with them and explained how the modes work. I was familiar with modes already, but he explained them in a way that I hadn't heard before. His approach is (was?) completely different than someone like Vinnie Moore (which is where I learned about modes), for instance. I don't remember exactly what he told me about modes, but I seem to remember thinking that it was very Jazz-like, very "proper" theory-wise.
We were there for about 2 hours altogether. As intimidating as it was at first, the biggest impression that he left me with is that not only is he a great musician (obviously), but that he is a really nice, down to earth guy. He made my wife and I feel very welcome in his home (studio). When I think about it, I'm amazed that he actually had someone like me in his home. What other "rock star" would do that? Probably no one these days. But here I was, just "some guy" that nobody knew, and not only did I have his phone number but I also had his address AND an invitation into his home. It still amazes me. And yes, I did go back...twice. As I mentioned I had forgotten about taking pictures and I also forgot about getting an autograph. So about a week later I called his sister and asked if I could bring my UV by to have him autograph it. She said yes, but that I'd have to leave it there for a few days until he got back from wherever he was and she'd have him sign it for me.
So I dropped it off to her, then went back a few weeks later & picked it up. Didn't get to talk to him again but I was okay with it. I figured I had taken up enough of his time already.
Awesome story!!

The bolded part is what I need to learn.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 AM
(a)

Reviews: 13

Awesome.

-Wolfram
Old 04-15-2012, 02:28 AM

Location: In a magical distant land. Or New Zealand to those who know

GREAT story, lucky you. Still have the UV I take it?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 AM

No, unfortunately, I had some "cash flow issues" a few years ago & had to let it go. I've owned MANY guitars over the years and that guitar is one of only two that I regret selling.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

One of the coolest stories I've heard! Congrats on the great experience!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 PM

Reviews: 2

Yeah, that is a great story. I really enjoyed reading it.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:37 PM

Reviews: 2

I just realized I never responded to the question posed in the OP. I bought P&W and Jason Becker's Perpetual Burn at the same time. At first, I was liking the Becker album a bit better. P&W was just too much to digest in one sitting. Now, much like others have stated, it's my favorite guitar instrumental album.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Location: In a magical distant land. Or New Zealand to those who know

That is a shame mate, still, you have the experience many would kill for. I have met Steve 3 times now and most recently worked (I am an audio engineer) on the G3 show in New Zealand and he was still such a down to earth guy contrary to many opinions I have heard. Very respectful to everyone on stage and in the crew. Cool story mate. Cant imagine the pressure of jamming with him though. Whew.

Tags
ibanez, music, rob hayes, steve, vai

You may also search for:

Show/Hide Posting Rules