<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours

Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours Post news about bands (including yours!), or talk about other music, CDs, DVDs, videos, tours or appearances.

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 08:18 AM

Real illusions

The thrill of the wait is now over, I just recieved my autographed "Real Illusions" Cd yesterday. Pretty cool, it's an extra Cd booklet with Steves autograph on the front. It's different however than the actually booklet in the Cd,,, the Cd has a color picture of steve on it. None the less cool.

Just listening to the album is going to take some getting use to. Been listening to the same old Steve stuff for so long the new stuff sound weird.

Added note my wife picked up ticket to a Vai show in Atlanta @ the Roxy for March 19th. Gotta love it!

~A
Old 02-19-2005, 12:34 PM

Thumbs up

Re: Real illusions

Yeah, I'm considering hitting the show in St. Paul, MN on 4/15 or Fargo, ND on 4/16. That's ~7 hours (and a trip across the border) away from me to either place but as close as he's gonna get to where I live. I was hoping he'd hit Winnipeg while in Canada. He's doing Montreal and Toronto (east) and Vancouver (west), too bad he isn't stopping somewhere in the middle. Oh well, I'm enjoying Real Illusions too.

Last edited by Hobophobic; 02-19-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:17 PM

Tell us how it is, I just ordered mine through Sony Music and comes with some cool guitar picks. I,ll have it buy Thursday.........
Old 02-19-2005, 06:29 PM

The guitar picks are really cool- they're a slightly lighter gauge than the Secret Jewel Box picks. They're white, with a red stylized 'VAI' logo on one side, and the other side says, "Steve Vai: Real Illusions : Reflections In Stores February 2005". I really dig the artwork on the front and back covers, but inside is skimpy on the art. As for the music, well, I already mentioned what I thought of the CD in another thread in the 'News' forum a couple weeks ago. Summary- I think it's great. Not his best, but really great.

-Ben
Old 02-19-2005, 06:52 PM

Reviews: 5

I got my copy today too.

A great album. For the first time in a long time, Steve is bringing a lot of new sounds. First, in "Building the Church" you've got a very highly processed guitar signal that sounds like a slightly distorted synth. Some very heavy background guitars. And a great smooth lead sound. For some reason, this song reminds me of Vai's sound on the Whitesnake "Slip of the Tongue" album at times. Great solo that begins very loose and bluesy and finishes with flashes of sweep picking.

"Dying for Your Love" has a slower tempo with heavy guitars and synth swells in the background, and clean guitar up front while Steve sings. Very orchestrated and almost reminiscent of Queensr˙che in quiet spots. If you liked "Oooo" or "The Animal", you might be interested.

The guitar on this instrumentals sound very lyrical. The songs on this album, often have a majestic and eastern feel. A lot of musical humor throughout. I can't remember Steve playing with this much looseness and skill since Passion and Warfare or even possible Skyscraper.

I'm not going to rave on about every song, but I'm very happy with this album in general. It's the most consistently listenable he's produced since Passion and Warfare. There were some who thought Steve had lost his edge in recent albums; that his playing lacked some of the technical finesse and fire of early albums. This album is definately a return to form in that respect.

Building the Church, Glorious, Freak Show Excess (especially), and Lotus Feet all contain interesting, different sounding, and talented solos.

I'll give it 4 stars
Old 02-19-2005, 06:57 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33291
Closed Thread

Tags
lotus feet, steve vai, sweep picking

Show/Hide Posting Rules