<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours

Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours Post news about bands (including yours!), or talk about other music, CDs, DVDs, videos, tours or appearances.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:42 AM

Rusty Cooley and co.: the Death Knell of music?

I don't usually tend to express negative opinions of players in forums but I've finally heard some of Rusty Cooley's 'songs' and I couldn't contain myself. Fine, hats off to the guy, he can PLAY , he can really play and I've seen some of his shred lick clips and his technique is great. But to turn scales and arpeggios into a 'song', where's the creativity in that? Last i heard, playing a musical instrument is an art form. What he's doing..Its like doing stretches or aerobics in a ballet. Its just putting a drum beat and cheesy lyrics over a warm up exercise.

And he's not the only one, whenever I hear the name of some obsure guitarist that I've never heard of, I check him out thinking there might be some real musical talent waiting to be heard. Half of these guys are carbon copies of Rusty Cooley. I'm pretty sure that all of these people are capable of making some really nice tunes with all that technique behind them but for some reason they think that they MUST show off their sweeping/alt picking technique to the fullest extent in every solo. I'm not asking for a full on 100000% emotion Vai masterpiece, I jus think that using a song to shout "999 BPM AHAHA " is a waste.

OK I jus had to get that off my chest, but I know I'm not the only one who thinks this, Art back me up here?
Old 06-12-2004, 05:56 AM

I have to say i agree for the most part altho i do think rusty in particular has done some very nice tunes but i could do without the constant shredding.

there are guys out there that combine both good/great technique with wonderful musicality besides the normal names (satch, vai etc)

Andy Martin
Macel Coenen
Rob Balducci

to name a few but to my ears mindless shred means nothin. there are players in the world who technique wise dont mean much but there music is pure brilliance and at the end of the day thats what matters even when we are talking technique driven guitar music.

well just my 2p anyhow
Old 06-12-2004, 05:59 AM

I agree. There were some dudes who played like that in that shredding contest I won last year. Note-perfect, perfect posture, all that stuff. Their music sounded like it was made by dudes who were thinking about music. Conversely, when I was playing I was thinking about how to get some alone-time with the Jennifer Aniston-lookalike at the bar, so as a consequence I guess there was something beyond music in my playing, and that usually tends to manifest itself as personality or vibe. Even if it is just dirty dirty hormones.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:10 AM

Listen to his CD. I like it very much, he tried to make the most intense piece of music, and I think he did well. Listen to the JEMfest interview of with Rusty; he explains it all: http://www.jemfest.com/jemfest_radio...oley_92803.mp3

There's more shred excercises around than 'real' songs, so you might tend to believe that's the only thing he does. Well it's not. I have to admit; you gotta like it though, but that's with every piece of music.

I really get a kick by listening to, or watching to people that excel in their technical/musical skills on an instrument. Especially guitars; because I can tell how much work they must have spend learing it. Maybe it's just a phase of my life (like all the other phases...).
Old 06-12-2004, 10:46 AM

I agree that the shred for shred music is boring as hell. I played my sister some (non musician) and she just said it was the same thing over and over and got bored.

There is an element to virtuous playing that is exciting (how else did paganini become the richest solo musician of his time). But it is only an element of a performance, not the performance as a whole.

This doesn't only apply to the shred metal guys, ever watched a jazz fusion band play 3 rounds of solos with things turning into a bit of a chops fest? Read- Drum solos should not exceed the length of 3 minutes.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disassociative1
there are guys out there that combine both good/great technique with wonderful musicality besides the normal names (satch, vai etc)

Andy Martin

I'll support this one. I'm not that sure though, but I heard "Hand in Hand" by him and it rocks... well, one of those downloadable clips from his site. It rocked and it was melodical. Felt like saying that because I was really impressed.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:09 PM

if u liked that then get the album dude, its awesome i feel like such a suck up when i talk about this album but it realy is wonderfull.

awesome technique with even better musicality
Old 06-12-2004, 01:23 PM

I live in Honduras, man. I'll have to go through a lot of crap regarding shipping. And don't feel like a suck-up praising something that deserves it. I heard a small clip and was blown away by it. Hopefully, if I do visit the US this summer I might place an order.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist
Drum solos should not exceed the length of 3 minutes.
Me likes good drum solos - check out Jeff Sipe...
Old 06-12-2004, 02:12 PM

I love all the Rustey Cooley stuff, any shred I like! I dont like it for the musical side of it like Vai or Satch. I like it because I appreciate the skill and talent those guys have. I mean, my jaw is hanging when I watch Rusty and the likes, just like it is when I watch Vai etc. Its all different music and appeals to different tastes! Some will like it, some wont. Its said again and again, but it all comes down to tastes. Just listen to what ya wana and dont let anyone tell ya different!
Gary - The.Godfather
Old 06-12-2004, 02:16 PM

Reviews: 5
I think for most people, the need for non-stop shred is one that goes away with maturity on the instrument. When I first achieved a reasonable level of ability, all I wanted to do was shred. After a while, you begin to ask yourself "is this really interesting?" And over time, you scale back. IMHO, the best players don't stop playing at a high level, they just don't use every trick in the bag on every solo. You learn that it's ok if you don't use two-handed technique or alternate picking in every solo. Sweep picking does not fit every song.

IF EVERYONE TYPES IN CAPS ALL THE TIME, THEY LOSE THEIR IMPACT AND IT'S HARD TO EVEN CONCENTRATE ON WHAT'S GOING ON BECAUSE IT'S TOO DISTRACTING. EVEN THE PARAGRAPH YOU'RE READING RIGHT NOW IS PROBABLY STARTING TO ANNOY YOU, AND YOU'RE PROBABLY EVEN SKIPPING WORDS. IT'S NOT A COINCIDENCE. WE DO THE SAME THING IN OUR MUSIC.

Many musicians learn to use the power of their talents to make an memorable impact on their audience. Now, when we only accentuate the KEY PARTS, the listener's attention is drawn to them and remembered.

But, not everyone draws the line at the same place. To me, John Petrucci is a completely robotic immature player. He's never gotten to the point that he can stop playing his assembly-line alternate picking. But to someone else, they might see those as the final emphasis after a long progressive riff.

In Rusty's case, I think the music appeals to less song-oriented audience. I would imagine that people buying that type of music are guitarists themselves, so the focus isn't necessarily great songs. It's good songs with great solos. Not for me, but others love it.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
I love all the Rustey Cooley stuff, any shred I like! I dont like it for the musical side of it like Vai or Satch. I like it because I appreciate the skill and talent those guys have. I mean, my jaw is hanging when I watch Rusty and the likes, just like it is when I watch Vai etc. Its all different music and appeals to different tastes! Some will like it, some wont. Its said again and again, but it all comes down to tastes. Just listen to what ya wana and dont let anyone tell ya different!
Gary - The.Godfather
x2

And for me it's also a HUGE source for motivation, not that I'll get _close_ to one of those guys; but I'll not die without trying...(huge amount of endurance here)
Old 06-12-2004, 03:00 PM

I agree 100% with what jem7vwh says; if someone who shouts all the time shouts at you it makes no impact, if someone who whispers all the time shouts at you, its has more of an effect.

What makes the fast part of FTLOG so chilling and effective? - he doesn't play at that speed the whole time.

I think Rusty Cooley's technique is humbling but i stick to what i sed before, i think turning "guitarist motovational clips" into songs for the public to hear isn't very effective.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:54 PM

Thank you Jem7VWH, you came up with the example I spent a good time trying to think up.
I was thinking, if all you eat is prime steak....but then playing fast ISN'T like prime steak, and also some people want to eat prime steak all the time...

Congrats

(kinda OT, but effective post man)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
Gary - The.Godfather
I can see this side of it, but I just find that my jaw can only drop so for so long, and for only so many times.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:57 PM

I agree jem7vwh, as I said, for me, it's probably just a phase in my life. I'm pretty immature concerning my guitar playing, and look at Rusty Cooley's guitar skills as I would look at 'Rambo' at the age of five.

Maybe when I'm mature () I still like it, maybe not. Right now, I do.

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rusty Cooley sig RC7 has arrived!!!!! Neoclasiccl Other 7-string Guitars 35 05-18-2009 05:51 PM
Rusty Cooley Jemwielder Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours 25 10-05-2006 03:44 PM
Rusty Cooley michblanch Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours 9 03-27-2006 04:45 PM
Rusty Cooley's 9 string on ****? maliciousteve Other 7-string Guitars 19 05-31-2005 03:44 PM
rusty cooley fans? snorkthesick Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours 60 01-19-2004 10:37 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29