<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours

Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours Post news about bands (including yours!), or talk about other music, CDs, DVDs, videos, tours or appearances.

Old 06-21-2004, 05:00 PM

Salvador: actually good Christian band

I am christian and I have noticed that so many christian bands aren't really that good and just end up being some bad knock-off of other secular bands.

I have found this band recently called Salvador and they are so good. They have this latin-feel to them, they sound like Santana only that they don't focus entirely on guitar but on the musicianship of the entire band. They are very creative and I am very impressed with the things they come up with. They are good beyond the fact that they are christian.

I felt like sharing about this band and hoping to see if there's anyone (out there) who enjoys this type of music or knows of a similar band.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:57 AM

Hey I am christian who also likes vai. I like Salvador, I have one of their cd's. I play guitar at church, we play black gospel type music with a 40 - 50 member choir. I have honed in my skills with the wah pedal and funky rhythums. Kirk Franklin and Kurt Karr also have cool music.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:29 AM

I guess Stryper is too heavy?
Old 06-22-2004, 03:31 AM

Im a christian too. Do keep some updates about Salvador. Haven't heard any of their songs tough.. And yeah, like you sp7bsb i play in church too. with a band and i use an Ibanez! haha.. yeah..
Old 06-22-2004, 04:30 PM

Stryper is also good, but you can't compare them to Salvador because they are a different musical genre.

Salvador are good, not because of what style of music they play but because they are very inventive and creative. They add things that you don't expect.

Like I said, they are beyond being christian as a band. (Even though they do share the gospel in their music.) They stand on their own without the "Christian" label.

Oh and BTW, I also play guitar at my church.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:46 PM

I wouldn't say I'm Christian, but I did play in the band at a Youth group a bunch of my friends went to. Lots of fun and great experience. And I picked up an interest in some Christian bands (mainly Skillet, Blindside, etc.)
Old 06-22-2004, 04:51 PM

I'm an agnosic, raised christian, and personally think religious orientation matters absolutely nothing in terms of quality of music. I mean, I love Tool, I think Tom Waits "Come on up to the House" is one of the best songs ever written... as is "Sympathy to the Devil."

Haven't thought of them in ages, but I remember a group called "Jars of Clay" having a tune ont he radio I rather liked.

Anyway, I ran into a quote about Christian literature by a Christian author once that I felt was fairly deep- "We need more Christians writing books, and less books written abotu being Christian." If you really put all of yourself into an artistic expression, then everything that's important about yourself and who you are should be there, even if you don't mention it explicitly. And the explicitness of christian rock is something that bothers a bunch of non-christians, in my experience... Idunno, food for thought.

-D
Old 06-22-2004, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
And the explicitness of christian rock is something that bothers a bunch of non-christians, in my experience... Idunno, food for thought.

-D
I would agree with this. What I don't understand is why many christian bands make a point of their religion, it makes it seem as if they are saying a Christian Rock band is some sort of oxymoron.

I remember there was some one hit wonder band in England a few years ago, had an ok, acousticy single (I think it was called "Kiss Me") and the media kept picking up on them all being Christian. In almost every interview with them I saw they had to make the point that, although they were all Christian it was just part of their life style and it was not some point they were trying to make in their music.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
I'm an agnosic, raised christian, and personally think religious orientation matters absolutely nothing in terms of quality of music.
Agreed. And religious discussions on a board like this seem likely to lead to more heat than light. (Try http://iidb.org if you want to talk religion. )

Iced Earth borders on being a Christian band, and they're pretty cool.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor
I guess Stryper is too heavy?
LOL! I got one of the Bibles they tossed to the audience.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:12 AM

Wow! Great! I should mention that my signature on other forums are: Salvation Through Redemption Yielding Peace, Encouragement and Righteousness.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:47 AM

Amen brother. haha

Btw, i do believe there are many other christian metal bands out there. Some that we've never even heard of.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little wing
Amen brother. haha

Btw, i do believe there are many other christian metal bands out there. Some that we've never even heard of.
Probably because most of them aren't very good. There have been few standouts among the Christian Metal scene.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure, but are DemonHunter a Christian band? All I know is they kinda sound like Slipknot They're pretty good though.

Saw a local band called Lucerin Blue opening up for finger eleven a few weeks ago. They weren't bad, but lacked originality. Sounded like every other screamo band out there, watered down a bunch, with very little stage energy. Then, between a couple songs the singer mentioned "without Jesus Christ we wouldn't be here tonight" or something along those lines, and it all made sense. Yea, most Christian bands that I've heard tend to sound like a watered down version of someone else, but have there good moments.

Thousand Foot Krutch = Rage Against The Machine/Limp Bizkit
early Skillet = Nine Inch Nails
new Skillet = slightly Evanescence sounding, but really good/original IMHO
FM Static = every pop-punk band

Meanwhile you get some Christian bands that kinda downplay the Christian angle and say they're just a band, and the fact that they're Christians doesn't affect their music. These bands usually have a very original sound and have some success:

P.O.D.
Evanescence
Creed
etc.

(keep in mind, whether you like them or not, or how many bands copied them, they have an original sound because you can hear two seconds of a song on the radio and say "that sounds like *name of band*")

Tags
limp bizkit, wah pedal

Show/Hide Posting Rules