Ibanez JEM Forum banner
11K views 55 replies 32 participants last post by  jallen 
#1 ·
There's a real problem when you take your bass player's vocals and put them on tape so use can use them live on tour. They also photoshoped him out of the old pictures, and took him of the album credits!

#4 ·
Found something:

VAN HALEN may have restored former bassist Michael Anthony's photos to the album cover art on the band's official web site, but it seems the group is still trying to remove Anthony from its history.

According to AntiMusic.com, Anthony's name has been taken off the writing credits for some of the group's music. An email to the site from a Van Halen fan explained, "On every single Van Halen song (with exception to the three new songs on the Best Of Both Worlds compilation), credits have always gone to Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony and the lead singer who is featured on the song... However, during the credits of the film Superbad, which features the song 'Panama', the song is only credited to the two Van Halens and (David Lee) Roth! Anthony continues to get snubbed by his former band as they attempt to erase him from the history of the band."

AntiMusic checked the ASCAP database and learned that Anthony's name has been removed from the songwriting credits of the album 1984, on which 'Panama' originally appeared, although apparently he still gets credit on other Van Halen releases.

Anthony was reportedly forced to sign a reduced royalty contract in order to take part in the 2004 reunion tour with singer SAMMY HAGAR, according to Wikipedia.org. Anthony also apparently did not play on the three songs recorded for the Best Of Both Worlds collection.

A furor erupted online last week after photos of Anthony at the band's official web site were either removed or replaced by an image of guitarist Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang, who will play bass on the group's upcoming tour. The photos were restored less than two days later.

Van Halen announced the details of its long-awaited reunion tour with original singer David Lee Roth last Monday (August 13th). The tour kicks off on September 27th in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Pre-recorded tapes will reportedly be used to recreate Anthony's backing vocals on the tour.

#11 ·
DLR and Sammy both never hit those high notes. Michael Anthony is good enough to sing lead as well. I watched him sing lead when VH had Gary singing on their worst album, and worst tour. Eddie is really an ******* to do that to him. I don't think I'm going to watch this tour, If it lasts!

#13 ·
I take it none of you guys are interested in going to see Van Hasbeen.....? :lol:

tickets:

$49.00 for nose bleed section (not recommended for those who suffer altitude sickness)

$79.00 for listening distance only

$175.00 for anything remotely close enough to make out who's on stage (or missing)....

Of course you could go the VIP rout.... (Van Halen's Instant Prosperity tickets) and spring $2000.00 to hear a canned vocal track too! Heck, who knows you may get the chance to snap a pic, or actually get a whiff of their sh!t that doesn't stink! :lol:

It's confirmed..... Van Hasbeen! ;)

#16 ·
Wow, a lot of you chaps should lighten up a bit.

First of all Alex runs the band - VH is Alex's band and his opinion weighs in 2/3 to Ed's 1/3.
If Mike is not in the lineup - Alex has decided not to get Mike in the lineup.

Anyway, I couldn't care less why Mike is not in the lineup but as I posted in another thread here
Ed, Alex and DLR is what makes VH - in that order.
Any decent singer can play bass and sing harmonies behind Dave.
Don't get me wrong, I rather Mike was in the lineup but by the same token I much rather see DLR singing in a VH without Mike than Sammy in VH with Mike.

Your mileage may vary.

#17 ·
You are seriously dreaming if you believe Alex is running anything in that band.

Eddie is just a dumb@ss at this point. I could really care less. VH only exists at this point in memories and music from the early/mid 80s. The fans know what is, and what is not, the real VH.

#18 ·
Any true fan will tell you when it comes to VH and what the band does - Alex calls the shots.

Ed is the star of the show but Alex runs the Van Halen outfit.

At any rate, no band is the same as what "they were" back in their golden years.
Decent bands get 4-5 maybe 6 good albums (2-3 great) and 8-10 good years and then just start selling out and embarrassing their original fans.
That's the way it is, happens to them all.

#21 ·
You're seriously on crack if you think Alex runs the band. You must be a drummer. If you know of any bass players that can play bass and sing that high of a harmony, give me their number. You probably have never seen a VH concert. I saw the 1984 tour before they split with DLR, then the 5150 tour, the Gary Cherone bomb, and back to Sammy with Mike. His backups are killer.

#42 ·
Great argument - I believe that's what they call "ad hominem".
Google it and after you do see if you can refrain from doing it straight after you join a new forum.

Anyway, quik had a valid argument that goes 100 times further in challenging what I said.
What I want to ask is has anyone seen "evidence" that Steve Harris runs Iron Maiden or that Lars Ulrich runs Metallica?
I know hardcore fans will just know it's true but can you show me any evidence that it is?
Thought so.

Don't believe me if you don't want to, but that does not mean it's not true - between Al and Ed, Al has the last say.
Always has had.

#27 ·
I read "Crazy from the Heat". Great book, BTW. It does NOT say that Alex runs the band, and over many years of being a major VH fan and following the activities of the band, I have found zero evidence that Alex runs the band. That's garbage.

Michael Anthony is a good bass player with a high voice. That is not a rarity. If Van Halen offered to audition for a new bass player/backup singer, California would probably finally slide off into the Pacific from the flood of bass player applicants who can play and sing all of his parts. As an alternative for the backup vocals, the band could/can use a harmonizer to add high harmonies electronically, like many bands already do. Hell, they could even bring on a trio of female backup singers, like Motley Crue did - I hope they don't, but if anyone could sell that, DLR could. The lack of MA's high voice is a non-issue.

#30 ·
lol, still argueing about backup singer...how about have MA on lead vocal and dlr out of the band?,
people complaint without DLR and now complaint about missing bass..
to me, i dont really care about vh ...becase evh is ****ed up anyway....just look at the $$ ripping history, ..$4000 for a charvel model with nothing interesting and $25,000 for a copy of his trashed up guitar and now a evh tour just to suck all ur $$$....i start to wonder if that guy can still play or is he busy sueing people on **** for taking his trademark stripes..lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.