<back   Jemsite > Players, People, Music and Tours > Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours

Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours Post news about bands (including yours!), or talk about other music, CDs, DVDs, videos, tours or appearances.

Old 12-23-2003, 08:02 AM

i don't understand how you can skip tracks on the first listen of an album. I have to listen all the way through a cd, totally uninterrupted a few times before i fully decide.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:00 AM

Easy, either I get over-excited, or bored.

One album for example that I love that I skipped tracks on on first listening is Opeth - Damnation.

I got soo excited. I was all, "what happens next? what's next?" On my first sitting I skipped a couple of tracks, then fast forwarded, etc. But after I got to the last song I sat and listened to the whole thing all the way through.

That's just what I normally do.

wil..
Old 12-24-2003, 08:01 AM

wow, thats completely different to me. I HAVE to sit through and listen to every second. Ah well.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:15 AM

But I do!

Afterwards, I have to sit and listen non-stop to the whole thing and "fetish it" (as Vai would say)

wil..
Old 12-24-2003, 08:18 AM

ahh, fair enough then
Old 12-24-2003, 08:25 AM

I love this album , maybe not as much as I love the other albums , but I think dream theater have done a good job
Old 12-27-2003, 06:41 PM

I've been listening to the CD alot recently.

The thing that I've found that I dislike most about the album is Rudess's damned buzz keyboard tone. If anything all it does is take away from JP's guitar tone.

Also on that note, JP's tone has a little more fuzz than growl (could be because of Rudess, not sure).

There are some great moments. But there are lots of other moments that take away from the experience as a whole...well, for me anyway. As a continuation of their previous albums I'm not a fan of this one. Great moments, but not a single song that grabs or moves me unlike all their other albums.

wil..
Old 12-27-2003, 07:16 PM

Man I can't get over how many licks JP uses in the solo in Stream Of Consciousness which are yngwie malmsteens , heres where you all say "YNGWIE SUCKS , HE IS A CRAP PLAYER" , but the fact of the matter is the solo from 3:50 to 5:20 is definitely yngwie influenced , nearly every lick I in the solo I hear I can think of a song where yngwie has used that lick. Maybe JP has been watching yngwies REH videos ? , that would certainly explain it , I'm a Big Yngwie and JP fan , I was just wonderin if you guys have noticed this aswell ?
Old 12-28-2003, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Man I can't get over how many licks JP uses in the solo in Stream Of Consciousness which are yngwie malmsteens , heres where you all say "YNGWIE SUCKS , HE IS A CRAP PLAYER" , but the fact of the matter is the solo from 3:50 to 5:20 is definitely yngwie influenced , nearly every lick I in the solo I hear I can think of a song where yngwie has used that lick. Maybe JP has been watching yngwies REH videos ? , that would certainly explain it , I'm a Big Yngwie and JP fan , I was just wonderin if you guys have noticed this aswell ?
Absolutely, there is major YJM influence in much of John's playing, even on previous albums, including rhythm and lead. Just listen to Erotomania.

During that dark age known as the 1990s, it was very unfashionable to quote technical players as being influences. Goatee-wearing 22 year old alterna-crap rockers suddenly claimed Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Coltrane, etc., of whom they may have heard one song each, as major influences. They were even too "cool" for Eddie Van Halen, much less Yngwie. At least now players are starting to reach beyond the old blues box again. I am sure Petruci would give much respect to Yngwie as an influence.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:28 AM

For all you that do not like it, step aside, this album is one of their best! There is A **** LOAD of melody on this album. I think tracks 2-7 are just amazing. Track 6, SOC, i just love, I cant get enough of it. I think theres a ton of melody to that song. And For the love of god is just magical, its just soooooooo good. Honor your father is just crazy too, i love the break "Don't cross the crooked step" then the section after that. Dying soul is very melodic and all. The guitar work is crazy, but i think its great. Not all of the guitar work is really over the top either, I really dont consider his stuff all that over the top, well, maybe i listen to to much Joe Stump and rusty cooley and those guys. I think this album is a winner, probably either tied with awake as my favorite.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:02 PM

wow..........this is a pretty critical bunch..........i just got the cd and cant put it down...i would have to say in my opinion that this cd has so much musically going on that most people dont even understand it......the engineer did an awesome job......as far as johns playing is concerned its quite obvious that he is using alot of phrasing that has rubbed off from ruddess and you can also tell that ruddess is coming up with alot of the melodies. As a band they need to keep evolving with each new cd or we would all be complaining that it was just same old same old. I dont think i can say that any 2 dt cd's sound alike which is whats really cool about them.........TOT is definitley an amazing compilation of their heaviest and most technical writing to date in my eyes and i cant wait to see them pull it off live......Hats off to Dream Theater for another amazing cd
Old 01-07-2004, 03:03 PM

I agree with Max Payne as well...I am a big fan of Images and Words and Awake, but they sort of started to lose me during Scenes (though I love some of the work on Scenes, Home in particular) and Six Degrees...mostly due to Jordan Rudess...granted he is a phenomenal instrumentalist, but he is lacking something...I would compare him to Yngwie Malmsteen...

Technically, he has no peer, but I wouldn't want to listen to him for more than a few minutes at a time...

If he would just lay off that DAMN KEYBOARD WAH!!! That drives me UP the wall!

I am a much bigger fan of Kevin Moore and Derek Sherinian...too bad John, James, Ken, and Mike weren't...
Old 01-18-2004, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble311
I am a much bigger fan of Kevin Moore and Derek Sherinian...too bad John, James, Ken, and Mike weren't...
I really liked Moore's playing, plus he is also a great songwriter, something I don't think can be said about his replacements. But TOT is still a great listen. And at least DT is still going strong and no doubt still play many of their classics live.......
Old 01-18-2004, 03:20 PM

[quote="EnigmaUV7"]
Quote:
And at least DT is still going strong and no doubt still play many of their classics live.......
This is true. When I saw them over the summer with Queensryche and Fates Warning (Still my favorite show to date), they played NOTHING from 6 Degrees (Glass Prison woulda been nice...), and alot of I&W, Awake, and SFAM.

From what I've seen from their setlist on the current world tour (which I hope to be attened The theater at MSG show on April 3rd), I looks like their first set will be Train of Through all the way through (I will be so psyched to hear This Dying Soul, Vacant, and Train Of Thought), and the second set will be chock-full of classic DT goodness (I saw The Mirror and that made my day)
Old 01-19-2004, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Uh, Kevin left Dream Theater because he wanted to leave. Everyone else in the band wanted him to stay. I'm pretty sure it was the same thing with Derek.

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: Grungy,Nasty, Maple boarded neck RGTFanatic Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 03-21-2014 12:37 PM
Maple boarded premiums dres_x Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 14 08-31-2012 01:48 AM
WTB: Train of Thought Tab Book AdamBilz Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 09-12-2005 10:50 PM
FS: Dream Theater Train of Thought Program jippy Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 05-02-2005 09:32 PM
Maple boarded Duoble Edge RG? jim777 Other Ibanez Guitars (including Premiums) 3 09-25-2004 12:36 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29