ada-mp1 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment
Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Banned

ada-mp1

evening folks.ive just watched a few vids on youtube about this ada-mp1.all this rack stuff is new to me as ive always played combo amps.ok then these ada-mp1 has it got built in effects,distortion,chorus,reverb ect.will i need a cabnet or will i be able to plug it into the back of a amp.i really like the tone from the ada very 1980s like.this is the sound (tone) ive been looking for since the day i started playing guitar.ive never dabbled in rack pre amps before so basicly havent a clue.can anyone tell me more about the ada-mp1,how to set it up,what i need ect ect.nice 1 lads n lasses rob
Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 PM

Re: ada-mp1

The Ada MP1 is, as far as I know, only an effect unit. So treat it like any other effect and you are fine.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM

It is a preamplifier, so you need a power amp and a cabinet. It is basically the second half of a head.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob K View Post
The Ada MP1 is, as far as I know, only an effect unit. So treat it like any other effect and you are fine.
The MP-1 is a preamp. The only effect it has is chorus but it itself is not an effects device. You would not want to run it through an amp's effects loop like a pedal or multi FX processor.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
It is a preamplifier, so you need a power amp and a cabinet. It is basically the second half of a head.
While the optimal set-up is as you described, you can run an MP-1 into the FX Return (of an amp's effects loop) or the Power Amp Input on amp's that have such an input.

BTW, if you want to learn everything and anything about MP-1s (or all of ADA's old preamps), just Google "ADA Depot".

I've got 3 MP-1s I love (I'm stuck in the 80s). I've got a stock one with a transformer upgrade (for increased dynamics), a 3TM (3 tube mod) which gives a great Racer X tone and a 3TM Ultra (transformer upgrade, 3 tube mod and a few other improvements). I thought about picking a few more but I'm hoping the resurrected ADA will come out with a new one sooner rather than later.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:35 PM

^^^ That is what I will be doing on my Legacy for when I want some nice 80's tone
Old 01-21-2009, 06:36 PM

However, it can get uncontrollably loud if you don't have the output of the preamp set to a minimum!
Old 01-21-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
^^^ That is what I will be doing on my Legacy for when I want some nice 80's tone
Exactly and the nice thing about this set-up is you have a backup (to some degree). If the MP-1 goes down, you can just plug straight into the Legacy. I'm not inferring that MP-1s are problematic because they are incredibly robust but I always remember - 2 is 1 and 1 is one. Having a backup never hurts and always helps.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob K View Post
However, it can get uncontrollably loud if you don't have the output of the preamp set to a minimum!
??? I'm not sure what you mean by that so please explain.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 AM

The MP1's are sick! I used to have a Mod4 MkII MP1 that I regret selling. Very versatile preamp. Nice cleans, great crunch tones, great lead tones, and great rhythm tones. The Mod4 MkII is the hot rodded Marshall mod, but I was easily able to dial in some Recto-like tones.

If I can find another at the steal of a price I got mine for, I'd jump on it in a second.

I notice talk of using an MP1 with a Legacy. I bought a Legacy while I still had and used my MP1. The MP1 sounded huge through my Legacy's power amp section, as opposed to the SS poweramp I paired my MP1 up with.

For anyone who might be interested. Here's an old recording I did using my Mod4 MkII. Cleans and lead are both the MP1.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=4848525
Old 01-22-2009, 06:21 AM
(a)

Rob, all your questions answered here http://www.adadepot.com/forum/
Old 01-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester View Post
The MP1's are sick! I used to have a Mod4 MkII MP1 that I regret selling. Very versatile preamp. Nice cleans, great crunch tones, great lead tones, and great rhythm tones. The Mod4 MkII is the hot rodded Marshall mod, but I was easily able to dial in some Recto-like tones.

If I can find another at the steal of a price I got mine for, I'd jump on it in a second.

I notice talk of using an MP1 with a Legacy. I bought a Legacy while I still had and used my MP1. The MP1 sounded huge through my Legacy's power amp section, as opposed to the SS poweramp I paired my MP1 up with.

For anyone who might be interested. Here's an old recording I did using my Mod4 MkII. Cleans and lead are both the MP1.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=4848525
some great stuff there steve.thanks everyone for all the input.im deffo thinking about buying a ada mp1,found what ive been looking for,for many years.awsome bit of kit.thanks again folks,rob
Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 AM

I've loved ADA's since day one and borroweed a friends a few times years back & loved it!
Though at the time new equippment was coming out so when i was cashed up i went with newer products.So after about 10 years and probably $10,000 worth of modern gear i ended up with the best tone i ever owned,an ADA!! I wish i had just bought one in the first place and saved myself all that searching! Enjoy it mate
Old 01-22-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
some great stuff there steve.thanks everyone for all the input.im deffo thinking about buying a ada mp1,found what ive been looking for,for many years.awsome bit of kit.thanks again folks,rob
You're welcome. I used to have a few heavy rhythm clips. I had to reformat my desktop the other day and they were most likely saved on the comp instead of a flash drive that I usually save to. I'll be sure to post them if I find them.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Hey guys, can it be useful plugged straight into the an amp? I have a lil Fender bass combo that works great at home volume, ive been trying different lil amps and i just cant find something that beats its cleans... thing is, it doesnt have a distortion channel, and i just cant find some pedal that sounds nice thru... i was thinking maybe this could work?

Thanx... hope its clear

Show/Hide Posting Rules