<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 PM

Reviews: 7

Anyone else like the Transtube amps by Peavey?

Hey folks.
Man, I played a 10" or 12" transtube amp by Peavey, and I really liked it .. I normally don't like Solid State amps, but this thing sounded great. Then I played the 2 x 12 with Chrous, etc, and it sounded GREAT I thought. I was able to get some good gain..lmost like the 6505 to me and it sounded really good. Not as good as a tube amp, but really close, and I was able to clean up the signal just like a tube amp by turning down the guitar volume knob. I'm impressed. I've tried a lot of amps in my time, and especially solid state, and they typically sound digital to me after using tube amps since the 70's. This one didn't. I mean it wasn't exactly like my old tube amps I've owned, but close! Really close..
Tim
Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 PM

Re: Anyone else like the Transtube amps by Peavey?

Hey, my favorite practice amp I use to own was a peavey bandit, that thing sounded great. I do remember it having a switch on there for vintage,high gain and modern voicings. It was the most solid realistic sounding solidstate I ever heard!Now I use a marshall valestate 20watt to mess around with.....and it sounds like sh*t...wish I still had the bandit for practicing!!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 AM

i do think the transtube series is underated. They are really good amps for the price (used more so than new) and they sound great.

you can pick up an xxl combo or head for cheap, or just about any other transtube for cheap. I think they do get overlooked in favor of amps like line 6 spyders and also i think the vyper line will be the death of the transtube series
Old 12-17-2012, 09:28 AM

I totally agree..The Line 6 amps I think are not near as responsive and natural sounding as the transtube amps. The Vypers I understand are using transtube technology and a couple of the vypers are tube amps. I know the 60 watt is, and I think there's a 120 watt too that's tubes. I'm wondering about that amp as I've not tried it personally, but I heard it. I wasn't impressed, but the kid that was playing was obviously just learning and used way too much effect in all the sloppy notes he was playing..hehe.. Poor guy.. Anyway, I need to check one out, but I think I'll just get one of the used 2 x 12 transtubes and stick with it for both practice and jamming. I think the 2 x 12 even has the effect (can't think of what you call it, but used to keep volume down while cranking tube amps a lot of the time that are high wattage). I know the one amp I played had it and I think the 2 x 12 does also. Going to look into it. If not, I know the bandit did I think.. It's on there site, I just need to look it up again..
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
i do think the transtube series is underated. They are really good amps for the price (used more so than new) and they sound great.

you can pick up an xxl combo or head for cheap, or just about any other transtube for cheap. I think they do get overlooked in favor of amps like line 6 spyders and also i think the vyper line will be the death of the transtube series
Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I bought a first series Transtube Bandit back in 1995.
It sounded very nice, but sold it when I got my Legacy.
It was the best SS amp I'd ever heard!
The Transtube technology really came close to that nice tube tone.....very close.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 PM

Yes, I use to own a line 6 212 spider combo series amp back around 2002, I think the lights that lit up on it hypmotized me into thinking it was cool but all around it sounded not so great. The peavey was much better. I do think peavey goes very underrated. They also make some great tube heads that seem to not get much love, other than the 5150/6505 series, but all in all there stuff is pretty good.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 AM

silver bandits are amazing amps. i used one as my practice amp back in the day when i used nothing but 5150's. it hung in there. i miss that amp sometimes.

rich
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM

Yeah, Peavey gets a bad rap sometimes and I'm not sure why.. But, they have some killer stuff.. I was watching an old video of Whitesnake with Steve Vai just to check out the solo's by adrian vandenberg, etc, and noticed that on the extra's section they show them in the studio, and almost all of their stuff was Peavey being used. Of course, Adrian was a peavey sponser, but they were using a lot of Peavey stuff..
Tim
Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 AM

I've owned a transtube 212 for a very long time, great sounding amp for ss. it's a little too loud (if there is such a thing) for my home so i practice on a small fender tube amp.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM

I would never hesitate to buy a peavey amp. I've owned a Windsor head, and I have a 112 transtube and a 15 watt vypyr. The transtube I got for $149 and I bought it for my fiance's son to bang around on but seriously, I would have no problem playing it out. The voicing switch is wonderful and the overall sound is just great. And its a Peavey, so you know it will last forever!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 AM

I just looked at the 1 x 12 Transtube Bandit, and it has a 25%, 50% and 100% Switch on the back of the amp to turn down the volume like an attenuation knob so that you can play indoors and not kill anyone with the volume level..
I'm looking into the Vypers, and I notice they say they use the transtube technology, but I'm worried that the amp models will kill the sound of the transtube that's so good on the originals. Anyone have any experience with these and what do you think?
Thanks
Tim
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM

Oh, Is the bandit loud enough for playing small gigs? What about the Vypers series 30 watt amp? I see the 75 watt Vyper has an attenuation knob also for turning down at home..
Tim
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
I just looked at the 1 x 12 Transtube Bandit, and it has a 25%, 50% and 100% Switch on the back of the amp to turn down the volume like an attenuation knob so that you can play indoors and not kill anyone with the volume level..
I'm looking into the Vypers, and I notice they say they use the transtube technology, but I'm worried that the amp models will kill the sound of the transtube that's so good on the originals. Anyone have any experience with these and what do you think?
Thanks
Tim
I love the sound of the vypyr amp models. I used to gig with a POD 2.0 and I think the presets on the Vypyr would blow my POD away. I can post a vid of me playing mine on a XXX setting... also check my other vids for more from the Vypyr with more of a Marshall tone..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlJjCl5wklY
Old 12-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Cool GuitarMegaddon.

I love the video man. Do the rest of the video's use the same amp? I still think I'll just get the 1 x 12 bandit and use pedals, but I like the Vyper..
Tim
Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Oops. I said "Man". Sorry about that. I get the name now..hehe.> Killer sound! Really. Rock! I lvoe Rock..
Tim

Tags
peavey, transtube

Show/Hide Posting Rules