Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Best small clean practice amp - Solid state, good clean tone

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  JESTER700 
#1 ·
I've decided I need a small practice amp for tinkering on as I'm often too lazy to set up the big rig for playing with. I'm looking for something that's light, simple, solid state, preferably all analog, and must have a great clean tone. Not looking to spend huge money either, and it doesn't need to have that much power. If I need distortion I'll plug a pedal in, but it'll just be small noodling for the most part. Any suggestions? Thanks

#2 ·
Best small clean practice amp

I've had a Park G10R, a Fender Frontman 15R, and a Peavey Transtube Blazer 158. I like the Peavey by a good margin. All are/were $120-ish 10-15W amps with 8" speaker. The Peavey & Park have equal sound quality, but the Peavey has a better reverb & a CD input to jam along with tracks. I don't care for the Fender as much.

I'm pretty impressed with the Peavey's fuzz noise, too. Not bad for a cheapo. I've heard the earlier (non-"transtube") Blazer isn't as good; I dunno. But my old Peavey Backstage 110 fuzz was definitely inferior. Oh, yeah - I had that Backstage 110, too. Nicely built, good clean sound. Terrible fuzz.

#3 ·

The best practice amp in my opinion is the Crate GFX-15. It has a great clean suond, its all solid state, and it has digital effects that can make the clean sound even better(chorus, reverb, and delay). The distortion channel is great but can take some eq-ing to get a good dual recto sound (if you even want that in a practice amp). Second to that is the GX-15R (I am not sure if they make them anymore), basically its the same as the GFX but it doesnt have digital effects, though it has a better distortion channel (sounds a little more smooth.) Oh, and the best part is you can pick up the GFX-15 for I think $130-140 and the GX-15R for about $100.

#8 ·

I have had a Squier practice amp since I was was 14 (nearly 29 now) and it has never so much as glitched.
The clean tone is fine, the Overdrive is fantastic - just chuck everything on 10 and away you go - so much so I have used it for some studio recordings. And it cost about £65 ($100 ish )

Pete

#9 ·

Well I ended up getting a dinky little Peavey Rage 158. Mediocre tone.. but I got it and a great stand for $111 Canadian before GST (about $70 US). With the POD, it sounds ok, nothing fantastic, but does what I want it to do :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.