<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 AM

Red face

BLACKSTAR HT-5R, HT STUDIO 20, H&K TUBE.18

Hello All,

Looking for new amp and again I am still not sure what to get for the money.

I posted long time ago some blackstar ht5r and mini stack questions and still I'm clueless.

So it all comes down to 3 amps

I need a responsive amp for bluesy,crunchy and metal (with pedal use) portable TUBE amp. Read allot, heard allot and I can't decide.
I'm looking also for an amp that can be played home/live with emulated outs(blackstar) that do not mute the amp itself

Blackstar ht20 http://www.jemsite.com/compare-guita...ombo-/reviews/

vs Hughes and Kettner tubemaister 18 (not sure of the emulated out)
http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-e...r-tubemeister/

or smaller version
blackstar ht-5r and save money for used cabinet (I am no sure if the AMP gets muted while using the cabinet) for live gigs

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revie...-5r/index.html

They'll be used for live as well as for practice. Mic-ing them ofcourse if I need allot headroom.

I think they'll all great little tube amps for the price and I really want to hear your opinions on this.

PS. I don't want to use full stack yet, only combos for portability purposes.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM

Re: BLACKSTAR HT-5R, HT STUDIO 20, H&K TUBE.18

NONE of them are in stock in any shop here in Athens and its driving me crazy....

I testesed ht-1 and was blown away how this little crappy weakling can ROAR on bigger cabinets (with PA )
Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 AM
(a)

I have the HT 20 and love it. I run a tone label ex through the effects loop for my effects. It sounds great
Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracatac View Post
I have the HT 20 and love it. I run a tone label ex through the effects loop for my effects. It sounds great
tnx for the reply -

How's the responsivness and tone on lower volumes - for practise use I cannot crank it all the time.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM
(a)

It is very good. I get great tones at low volumes. Some people have been critical of the clean channel but I really like it. It is very responsive
Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 AM

yeah I've read about the clean too , not enough headroom etc. thank you for your input.

Anyone else? tubemaisters? none?

or the idea of ht5r+cab (combo+cabinet)?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I'll throw 2 more possibilities at you: Jet City JCA21H and Vox 'Lil Night Train.
Both are hard working, and will suit you well.

Serioysly--they are both great.
I actually like the Vox best out of all 3 low watt amps I've received lately.
The Marshall Class 5 needs too much work (mods) to be great.
The other two sound great stock.
The Vox is the most versatile--it goes from sparkle clean to creamy blues up to metal.
And clocking in at 2 watts--you can really push it. Sounds great dry, and even better with a good OD pushing it.
Best part--$150.00 brand new.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:16 AM

Tnx Alaska - I'll look for it - dough I doubt there is anyone selling it at the moment ...

wait what- 150$ new???!

if ordering in Europe or just from Thomann - Lil Night Train+cab cost at about 500$(separate sold) same as blackstar ht5r, Night train+ Cabinet 720$ (bundle), blackstar studio 20 - 840$

either way its all expensive... I do want to get studio 20 dough, not enough cash

Last edited by satch_stef; 12-28-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 AM

I have the HT-5R combo.
I normally run it at 1/4 volume and it's pretty loud already, seeing as I sit in front of it and I play in my living room in my apartment. I would say the sound quality and character at that volume is pretty satisfying and I would even say that it's good enough for metal (I normally don't run the gain too high as it gets a bit trebly and fizzy at low volumes at least). I tend to scoop the mids to give it a more modern metal tone.

Crank it up to half volume and the thing roars... I never cranked it up completely cause I don't want to be evicted.. but the word is that the amp cannot cope with a loud drummer in a real gig without being mic'ed.

I recently bought a TS-9 and although it does give it a bit more edge to the sound it comes across with a hell lot more noise and static than without.

I like to play Petrucci stuff, Paul Gilbert (try.. lol).. some A7X.. Satriani.. and just jamming.. the amp is pretty goo for it however sometimes I find myself playing through my POD with headphones if I want to be completely silent. The amp can run at very low volume but even that could be heard through walls and floor depending on the housing and then you will lose your ear for details. Also I tried the external MP3 input but it sounds a bit hollow in mono through the speaker cabinet. I prefer to play along with my 2.1 speaker set and the amp on the side.

Headphone out is passable... OK but can't touch a POD for sound quality.

Just my 2 cents
Old 12-28-2012, 01:26 PM

tnx allot for the detailed input - just what I wanted to hear.

Bottom line ht5r is out when it comes to gigging... I can predict starvation period for ht 20 studio

otherwise I'll just buy a used hd500 or Pod xt3 Live and use my studio monitors as outs... and for gigs just plug it straight into PA and cabinets.. no amp no nothing, and spend weeks on tweaking the tones ...
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM

Reviews: 130

I've stayed away from the smaller Blackstar amps due to the odd tube they use as a power tube--not very easy to find. My "go-to" low-wattage amp is the Jet City JCA22H. Crushing high-gain tones and nice cleans without tearing the roof off.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_stef View Post
tnx allot for the detailed input - just what I wanted to hear.

Bottom line ht5r is out when it comes to gigging... I can predict starvation period for ht 20 studio

otherwise I'll just buy a used hd500 or Pod xt3 Live and use my studio monitors as outs... and for gigs just plug it straight into PA and cabinets.. no amp no nothing, and spend weeks on tweaking the tones ...
I gig with a HT-5 head, and treat it like a single channel amp. I roll my guitars volume down for cleaner sounds. Is amazing at low volumes and cranked. Keeps up with my drummer fine. If you're micing the cab you'll be fine for louder drummers. Swap the stock 12AX7 for a Tung Sol gold pin, much better complex tone and better clean headroom on the clean channel. Still maybe not enough for gigs though.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 PM

I tested a HT-5 combo the other day and it blew me away. Fantastic tone, full in the mids, more distortion than I normally use. Now I want to get rid of my Stiletto and 2x12!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 AM

I tested out an HT5 head and an HT1rh head through a 2x12 last Friday. I ended up buying the HT1rh and bringing that home. (wanted a little head for the lounge room)

The HT5 is so much louder than the HT1. They're voiced similarly, so basically what you're getting is an HT1 with an EQ stage, and....louder. So you don't get any tube saturation at low volumes. But still, sounds very similar, but can be made to sound better.

I also found that the HT1 and HT5's either sound dark and muddy, or crisp and crunchy depending on the speakers you're using. My preference is Celestion Vintage 30's. Nice and crunchy. On the flipside, Celestion Heritage sound like flub and mud with the HT1. Can dial some of that out with the HT5 though.

If you like the HT1, you'll like the HT5.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerevlon View Post
I've stayed away from the smaller Blackstar amps due to the odd tube they use as a power tube--not very easy to find. My "go-to" low-wattage amp is the Jet City JCA22H. Crushing high-gain tones and nice cleans without tearing the roof off.
These are not hard to find. EL34 tubes are available from all the large retailers.

Tags
blackstar ht-5r, blackstar ht20, h&k tubemaister 18

Show/Hide Posting Rules