<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 02-27-2001, 12:40 AM

Reviews: 5

BOSS GT-3 vs. Zoom GFX-4

I saw recently the new Zoom GFX-4 and I thought it was a great multieffects unit. I was just wondering if it could beat a BOSS GT-3...

What's your opinion about it?
Old 02-27-2001, 07:17 AM

BOSS GT-3 vs. Zoom GFX-4

I couldn't like any Zoom pedal, regardless of price range. They have a very specific sound that I just can't stand. I'd go with the Boss GT-3... Good luck!
Old 02-27-2001, 10:53 PM

BOSS GT-3 vs. Zoom GFX-4

The BOSS GT-3 would win every time. the ZOOM GFX-4 is not really in the same league as the GT-3.

ZOOM makes some affordable decen products but I have never really been a fan of there sounds.
Old 03-01-2001, 08:41 PM

BOSS GT-3 vs. Zoom GFX-4

Allow me to be a (probably very lonely) voice of dissent here. *I have never tried the GFX-4, but I use a GFX-8 with my Boogie. *I compared it head to head with the GT-3, and the GFX-8 won. *By quite a big margin. *To my ears, the GFX-8 effects sounded almost as good and the GFX-8 has far superior distortion/modeling. I use the unit to change the character of the Boogie when I don't want the Boogie sound, and it does a very good, mostly transparent job of it. *In addition, nearly everything on the unit can be tweaked by grabbing the right knob. On the GT-3, you're constantly fumbling with that dial thingy. *I know how that goes very well, since I used to use a Roland GP-8. * *The GFX-8 and GT-3 are equally sturdy. *The GFX-8 has a more readable display, and you can work the built in tuner very easily while standing. All I can say is try 'em both out with *your* gear and decide for yourself.
Old 03-08-2001, 11:06 AM

BOSS GT-3 vs. Zoom GFX-4

I have the GT-3, and all I can tell you is that it has tons of options... I always have been more of a purist type of guitarist..One guitar, one good amp... So I end up always using the same two or three presets on the GT-3..So I think it is a bit overkill for me... If you don't like spending time on tweaking effects, stay away from the GT-3...

BTW, I think I will sell mine or trade it, if anyone is interested, or has a Tech21 Trademark 10 to trade, drop me an e-mail, we could work something out...
Old 03-08-2001, 11:37 AM

BOSS GT-3 vs. Zoom GFX-4

I owned a Zoom 505 - it sounded artificial. *My friend owned a Zoom 3030 - sounded even worse.

I owned a Boss GT-5 - it's a great unit.

I don't know abou the new Zoom stuff, *but it is gonna take ALOT of glowing reviews before I'll consider going that route again.

Luther
Old 03-08-2001, 12:29 PM

BOSS GT-3 vs. Zoom GFX-4

All I can say is I played through a 505 once. It's a $50 toy, and sounds terrible. *I know Zoom has a really bad rap to overcome.

The GFX-8 is in a different class. *It's a bit underpriced for what it can do. *I know Harmony Central reviews can be crap, but there are plenty of glowing reviews there. When I was shopping for a multieffect board, I didn't have a price constraint. *If the GT-5 would have done what I wanted, I would own it.

The GFX-8 isn't perfect. *You can't change your effects route. *You are limited in your choice of effect combinations. *There is a *very* brief but noticable cut out when switching patches. *If I didn't care about the distortion/modeling, I might have gotten the GT-3...but I hate the Boss data wheel! *For me, the amp modeling on the GFX-8 was the major selling point.

The guitarist is playing through a Legacy half stack, and I have no problem cutting through or getting good tones with the Zoom through my Mesa Mark III. The Zoom unit's amp "models" sound great. *I can easily make the Boogie "close enough" to a Fender, Marshall, or 5150. *The Recto model doesn't sound good through the Mark III...but I can live with that. *The reason I'm so enthusiastic about the GFX-8 is that it doesn't kill the sound of my amp. *I still get all the depth and punch of the Boogie--just with a different character. *If I turn off all the effects and just use the modeling, it sounds incredible. *In fact, I use it that way a lot. I have absolutely no regrets. *Right now I don't know of a better floor unit for my purposes.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:33 PM

BOSS GT-3 vs. Zoom GFX-4

I just noticed that the way I worded my last post sounded weird. *I'm a jack of all trades in my band. *Sometimes I'm on guitar, sometimes on bass...hence my reference to "the guitarist" rather than "the other guitarist". Whatever.

Tags
mesa mark, mesa mark iii

Show/Hide Posting Rules