<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
(a)
Swirltop  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 2,340  -  iTrader: (12)

Re: Boss Metal Zone


Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
It can sound good if you don't go stupid with the gain. There is way more than needed on tap. The EQ is extremely versatile. The pedal is even better with a few mods. My MT-2 is surprisingly great now with a few mods that I worked out. Barely any noise (its like a noise gate almost!), and EQ and gain even better sounding. I've got the mods laid out on my site with a comparison between stock, modified and my amp.
That mod you did made a marked improvement to my ears...nice job
quote
  #17  
Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM
MatiasTolkki  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 2,923  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Boss Metal Zone


LOL looks like i started a "lets hate on Metal zone" topic.

How would I go about modding it to make it sound nicer? Are there any mods that sound good for rhythm guitar? Considering the songs i focus on are Stratovarius stuff, the guitars switch between lead and rhythm throughout a single song (switching between leads with the keyboards) If theres a way to make it more friendly for rhythm that would be helpful

I did buy the MT2 when i didnt know as much as I do now about effects (even though I still dont know that much, more than when i bought this thing though) so I'm wondering what I should do with this thing.
quote
  #18  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 PM
LonePhantom  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 8,655  -  iTrader: (8)
Reviews: 120

Re: Boss Metal Zone


The mod I came up with makes it worlds better. The mods are on my blog http://www.lonephantom.com, check out the DIY section and you should be able to find them. Part 2 has the best mod. If you need help let me know.
quote
  #19  
Old 01-26-2013, 01:31 AM
super66  is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 170  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Boss Metal Zone


My brother used to have one and the idea of the sound was great, but it was paper thin. If you look up the keeley mod, I think it sounds pretty damn great. I actually think about getting one from him because it has a good sound. I also thought playing the boss ds1 with the sd1 over it made for a great distorted sound.
quote
  #20  
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 AM
MatiasTolkki  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 2,923  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Boss Metal Zone


Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
The mod I came up with makes it worlds better. The mods are on my blog http://www.lonephantom.com, check out the DIY section and you should be able to find them. Part 2 has the best mod. If you need help let me know.
I listened to your samples after reading the outline for the mods. You're right, it sounds alot better than standard, but that blackstar sounds amazing. How much do you think it would cost to get all the diodes and LEDs for the mods? If I can somehow make this my first ever mod project, it seems like it would be a lot of fun and it would sound ALOT better
quote
  #21  
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 PM
racerevlon  is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,081  -  iTrader: (1)
Reviews: 130

Re: Boss Metal Zone


ST-2 POWER STACK is a great pedal, as is the Tech21 GT-2. However, I find I get my best results running a Tube Screamer into an SD-1. Set the Tube Screamer gain lower and the level high, and dial the SD-1 to taste. Run that into the front of a good amp (or even a mediocre amp) and it'll slam!
quote
  #22  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:23 PM
LonePhantom  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 8,655  -  iTrader: (8)
Reviews: 120

Re: Boss Metal Zone


Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I listened to your samples after reading the outline for the mods. You're right, it sounds alot better than standard, but that blackstar sounds amazing. How much do you think it would cost to get all the diodes and LEDs for the mods? If I can somehow make this my first ever mod project, it seems like it would be a lot of fun and it would sound ALOT better
It's only a few $$$ of bits tops.
quote
  #23  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:43 PM
GUITARMAGEDDON  is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,514  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Boss Metal Zone


anyone seen the new Boss Adaptive Distortion??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH0pGzazLzs
quote
  #24  
Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 AM
MatiasTolkki  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 2,923  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Boss Metal Zone


Oh on the topic of other distortion pedals, LonePhantom have you messed with the MXR Fullbore Metal? I tried it today and WOW did that thing have some balls.
quote
  #25  
Old 01-27-2013, 01:27 AM
silverctr  is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 943  -  iTrader: (4)
Reviews: 15

Re: Boss Metal Zone


Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Oh on the topic of other distortion pedals, LonePhantom have you messed with the MXR Fullbore Metal? I tried it today and WOW did that thing have some balls.
That thing is a beast straight outta the box!
quote
  #26  
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 AM
MatiasTolkki  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 2,923  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Boss Metal Zone


Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
That thing is a beast straight outta the box!
After my guitar lesson today, I wanted to try some other distortion pedals and that was the one suggested to me... I'm sold on it. I turned the gain to 0 and played with a little bit higher bass and mid, then higher mid/treble and omg. I wanted to have one of my impulse purchases lol
quote
  #27  
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 AM
therightjem  is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,092  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 2

Re: Boss Metal Zone


My Digitech Expression pedal models the Metal Zone. I'm not much of a metal player anymore, so I'm not sure my thoughts on it are relevant, but it sounds great for some power chord riffing, but not much else. The scooped mids make leads sound too thin and brittle.
quote
  #28  
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 AM
MatiasTolkki  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 2,923  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Boss Metal Zone


Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
My Digitech Expression pedal models the Metal Zone. I'm not much of a metal player anymore, so I'm not sure my thoughts on it are relevant, but it sounds great for some power chord riffing, but not much else. The scooped mids make leads sound too thin and brittle.
Yeah, after I tried the classic distortion effect on Line 6, I realized how thin the metal zone sound was. I'm thinking getting that MXR Fullbore Metal is just what i need.
quote
  #29  
Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 AM
therightjem  is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,092  -  iTrader: (0)
Reviews: 2

Re: Boss Metal Zone


Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Yeah, after I tried the classic distortion effect on Line 6, I realized how thin the metal zone sound was. I'm thinking getting that MXR Fullbore Metal is just what i need.
MXR makes good stuff. I have the '78 Custom Badass Distortion and I like it. You can read my review of it here....
http://www.jemsite.com/compare-guita...rtion/reviews/
quote
  #30  
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 AM
MatiasTolkki  is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 2,923  -  iTrader: (0)

Re: Boss Metal Zone


Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
MXR makes good stuff. I have the '78 Custom Badass Distortion and I like it. You can read my review of it here....
http://www.jemsite.com/compare-guita...rtion/reviews/
That's a good review. It helps that you used a JEM to test it for your review, My RG350EXZ has evos in it so it gave me good insight on how to use those with the '78. I'm just a little worried about one thing though: how would it sound with a TS9DX as a booster?
quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Show/Hide Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: BOSS MT-2 (Metal Zone), BOSS TR-2 (Tremolo), and DiMarzio PAF Pro redaxe Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 04-17-2012 09:55 PM
boss metal zone? bowie8889 Gear and Equipment 6 03-23-2012 11:55 AM
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Inzane Gear and Equipment 27 09-01-2010 06:50 AM
FS BOSS MT-2 METAL ZONE Rudy Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 11-07-2007 08:54 PM
FS: Boss Metal Zone RG3120 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 05-02-2005 09:16 AM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) jemsite.com
Powered by