<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 AM

Carvin Legacy 3 advice on Speaker Set UP

Hey guys

Decided to pull the trigger on a Legacy 3 which I shoud receive later this week!

Been reading the instruction manual and I am bit confused in regard to the outputs for speakers..?

At the moment I use 2 different Marshall heads that have the usual mutlitude and labeled outputs. I run 16ohms out to 16ohms in on my Marshall 4x12.

I also have a 70's HIWATT cab that is 8ohm rated so in that case i just run 8ohms to 8ohms...nice and simple lol.

I notice on the back of the legacy 3 there are 2 outputs unmarked as well as an impedance switch.

In the manual it says 'Calculate the total speaker impedance based on parallel wiring as both jacks are wired in parallel. I am abit clueless as to what this means.

My thoughts are to just set the impedance switch to 16ohms and run one cable out of jack 1 on the amp to 16ohms on my marshall 4x12.

In terms of the HIWATT I would just set the imepdance switch to 8ohms and again run one cable to the 8ohm input on the cab!

Is this correct....I am getting confused as I am wondering whether if 2 jacks are parallel wired then setting the impedance switch to 16ohms would be 16ohms spread over the two jacks in whihc case running one cable out would mean a halved impedance of 8ohms...

Help lol!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 AM

Re: Carvin Legacy 3 advice on Speaker Set UP

so the easiest thing to do would be do as you said.

1 cable in to either cab using whatever setting the cab says to.

if the jacks are in parallel that means that the resistance is cut when both jacks are being used.

so lets say you have two 8 ohm cabs that you want to run at the same time. So you would run a single stereo/non-shielded cable to each. The total load on the head with two 8 ohm cabs would be 4 OHMs.

So the resistance is cut in half. Now if the jacks were in series the resistance would increase. two 8 ohm cabs would be running at a total of 16 ohms.

The good news is that a lot tube amps aren't too sensitive to mis-match imedance BUT You should never have your speaker load go below what the amp can put out.

So if the amp goes down to 4 ohms, never connect a load that would total less than 4 ohms.

BUT you can run your amp at a lower impedance than your total speaker load. So if you have an 8 ohm total load you could run your amp at 4 ohms. It isn't again recommended but shouldn't do any damage. You may notice a volume drop or your sound darken by loss of high end. Some times it is cool to do.

So after all that when in doubt just run at the right OHM rating. If you have other questions do a google search on speaker loads and or calculating total resistance in a curcuit. Mesa boogie also goes in the great depth about speaker loads in most of there user guides.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 AM

Thats great mate!

Thank you so much for your help!

i understand the concept in principal but most explanations leave it there instead of then relating it to practicle examples to reinforce the thinking!

Cheers!

On a final note then if I wanted to connect 2 marshall cabs rated 16ohms that would result in a load of 8 ohms on the head?

So I would set the impedance switch to 8 ohms and use both jacks and that would be fine?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 AM

yep, you are correct. two 16 ohm cabs run in parallel would make the total load 8 ohm.

yeah ohms/resistance is a little tricky but it is worth knowing.

I am happy to help.

Tags
carvin legacy speaker

Show/Hide Posting Rules