<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 AM

Carvin Legacy 3 or Marshall Satriani

Hey guys

I am currently using a Marshall 100 AFD and Marshall YJM100 for all my gigging and practice.

These are 2 great amps and work great for the Deep Purple tribute band I am in. I do find though that they are not very flexible.

Both are 1 channel amps and go from light crunch to superb distortion with the guitar volume and an overdrive pedal.

I am finding that I need a more flexible amp for other stuff I am doing and something with a good clean channel to develop on and then increasing stages of distored channels.

For this the Marshall Satriani amp seems great as it will give me the flexibility to cover a lot of ground.

I have however rediscovered my love for Vai and i am rehearsing 5 Vai songs to play during intervals or as show pieces during the set...

Thats where the Carvin Legacy 3 comes in....from the demos online it sounds great and they seem to have fixed the lower gain aspect of that 3rd channel.

I had a Legacy 2 a few years back and sold it due to the fact that it just didnt have that kick and gain I wanted in the high distortion channel...it also seemed very clear compared to the spongy distortion of a marshall...

Any thoughts guys?

I am leaning towards the Legacy to give it another go and the clean channel will mix great with overdrive pedals but I can't write off the range of tones on the Marshall Satriani and my general love for Marshall!!

Cheers!!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 AM

Re: Carvin Legacy 3 or Marshall Satriani

Haven't played the Marshall. Own the L3, extremely versatile, compact, rack mountable. Seriously less coin than the Marshall. For that kind of dough, I'd get the new Kemper rack mount w/built in 600W digital amp.
http://guitarnoize.com/the-kemper-pr...-in-power-amp/
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 AM

I did look at the kemper and there are a lot of good reviews but I must admit that one with the built in power amp looks very very tempting!!

The Marshall Satriani and Legacy 3 are prety much the same cost in the UK about 1,200 so for a little more I might just look at the Kemper..

Anyone with any experience of it? Can you attach a footswitch?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 AM

Wow! That's a big price jump from the L3 in the U.S. Admittedly I picked a mint one up used for $700 and the Marshall Satch is about $2600 here. Gotta love VAT I guess.

But yeah, the Kemper does look very tempting. They have an add-on amp for the lunchbox version too.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 AM

Hey there, I got a Kemper and must say it's the best piece of gear I ever bought. Didn't think I would say that at one point but for the first time I don't see a reason to buy anything else (at least for now ).

To the Footswitch question: You can control it via midi, there are happy users with all kinds of different midi contollers happy with it (GCX, Behringer and so on). As long as you only want to change patches any will do...for other functions, just head over to the Kemper forums, lots of info there!

There will also be a dedicated FS but my last info was earliest Q4 2013, which is a bummer, but okey...hope it will be worth the wait!

Tags
carvin marshall satriani

Show/Hide Posting Rules