<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 12-15-2000, 03:27 PM

Crate questions - looking for opinions

Well, I shocked myself the other day when I found some great tones lurking in a Crate VC6212 - el-34's, good e.q., switchable effects loop(or boost w/level control), dirt cheap, made in the good 'ol USA. Sounds alot like a JCM800 to my ears. Does anyone have any experience with these rigs? I'm looking for insight pertaining to the reliability of Crate's tube stuff - the Blue Voodoo gets flamed all day long in the HC reviews. Am I begging for trouble? It is used-no warranty. Thanks. *Z
Old 12-15-2000, 07:40 PM

Crate questions

Crate is notorious for low quality. I've played through a BV120 and loved the tone, but was scarred off by the name. I wouldn't recomend giging with it, but as a rehersal amp, I'd say waaaahhhoooo!!!

J>
Old 12-15-2000, 09:51 PM

Crate questions

My experience with Crate has not been the greatest. Of course, the only Crate I owned was a tiny little 15 watt 8" combo. They're about as reliable as a Peavey. If you want a JCM 800 tone, I suggest getting a JCM 800. Stay away from Crate.
Old 12-16-2000, 01:59 AM

Crate questions

Stay away from CRATE. I just typed a long epic tale concerning my experienceS, but accidentaly hit 'reset' and deleted it! If you want details shoot me an email.

The posts above are accurate. I couldn't agree more!
Stay away from CRATE.
Old 12-16-2000, 12:51 PM

Crate questions

Wow,
* * * * It sounds as though some of you guys have had some bad luck. I own a Crate VC2112R (15 watt, class A, EL-84 tubes) and it's been a real gem.

* * * * * * * * *I've had it since '96 and I haven't even had to change a tube yet. My students play through it so it's seen a good share of use and the tone is wonderful.

* * * * * * * * * * * It's a good thing I had it around when my Marshall went down TWICE. It's always been there when I needed it. *I can't speak for the rest of the Crate line but I'd have a hard time not recommending the Crate VC series. It's been one of the wisest and most tonally-fulfilling purchases I've made. *

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Good luck in whatever you decide! *
Old 12-16-2000, 05:07 PM

Crate questions

I owned a Blue Voodoo for a long time - I thought the tone was great for the price, and in almost two years of 3 times weekly use it never let me down! Eventually let it go when I acquired a Mesa, but I never regretted owning it... *On the other hand, I've also owned a Crate GX15R and VC 508 watt practice amp, and they were both horrible amps - I didn't play 'em enough to break either one, but they sounded just awful

Ultimately, I believe there are a lot of people who have had bad experiences with Crate amplifiers, and though I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Crate if it fulfilled a role in my rig, I wouldn't be surprised if it failed me one night either.
Old 12-16-2000, 05:39 PM

Crate questions

i played a blue voodoo 2 days ago and absolutely hated the thing. the clean was distustingly harsh and the distortion sounded like a cheap marshall (i dont care for the marshall distortion in the first place though). i messed with the eq for several minutes and couldnt dial in a decent usable tone. but i must say the lights on that amp look killer!

here's the ironic thing...i plug into a cheaper solid state crate right next to the blue voodoo and it sounded twice as good (still nothing to brag about though).

maybe i just dont dig the crate tone...if you dig it use it!

just my opinion
Old 12-16-2000, 06:57 PM

Crate questions

One other thing,
* * * * * * * * * * * * *I don't think any conclusions can be drawn regarding the VC series using reviews of the BV series. *I've played both and they are different animals. *I much prefer the VC amps.
Old 12-17-2000, 06:59 PM

Crate questions

Well, I answered my own question about this amp when I took it home and test-drove it for an hour. It didn't last the whole hour, however, as the main fuse popped after 30 minutes of use. I put in a replacement and it popped immediately. This was a used amp, but I immediately got the impression that a sign was there - DON'T BUY ME. Thanks for your input, Jemsiters. * Z
Old 12-17-2000, 09:06 PM

Crate questions

Sometimes the best way is first hand. *:biggrin:

I have expelled many pieces of gear this way.

J>
Old 12-17-2000, 11:35 PM

Crate questions

You are welcome. See! I wasn't lying. Crate is terrible. I sure wish that iHateCrate guy was still here.......what a guy! Good luck on your search. I enjoy Peavey and Carvin amps for the value! I have a Peavey Ranger.
Old 12-18-2000, 01:37 AM

Crate questions

Well,
* * * I wasn't lying either! All you can do is go by your own experience and my Little Crate has been old reliable for four years and counting. Maybe I just got lucky and got a good one!

Tags
blue voodoo, practice amp

Show/Hide Posting Rules