<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 01-13-2003, 03:17 PM

Digitech GNX3 Questions...

Well, Ive decided that my cheap home made pedalboard and little collection of pedals is not working for me any longer. I have 2 bands as of now. One is a blues/jazz band that plays SRV &amp; BB King style stuff, and the other band I play some heavier music thats kinda like DT meets Tool (best way i know how to describe it). The GNX looks good to me, because it can replace what I have now, and then give me more. I need/like to have, a good looper (mine doesnt work too good... looped sound is quieter), built in amp switching box (a REALLY cool feature), wah, a couple light bluesy distortions. This box looks to deliver all this, plus an 8 track recorder, and all those other effects, that Im sure I could find a use for. I have read reviews, and all the information I can find on this thing. I am planning to use it in the loop of my dual recto. My concerns are: is it well built (ive heard good/bad about digi)? how does it sound? are there ways of backing up presets? is the 8 track good quality? Also, if this turns out to be a peice of junk, what are some other reccomendations that would work for what im doing? Thanks in advance, and happy guitarring.

-Nick
Old 01-14-2003, 03:04 PM

I've owned and used regularly a GNX3 for the better part of a year now, and I think it's terrific. Let's address your questions.

1. Well built - It's encased in a thick metal housing, kind of like a big BOSS pedal. Very sturdy (and very heavy!) All the knobs are small and well placed so you don't step on them, and the foot switches are very sturdy. No worries about the expression pedal, either. More metal, and it takes a licking.
2. Sound - Mine sounds excellent. It does everything I want it to. I have banks of sounds ranging from clean, pristine jazz, light blues, funk, to a very EVHesque lead tone, to crushing metal distortion (and LOTS of flavors of all of those.) The presets aren't too bad, but eh... I always program my own (The Eric Johnson and Santana presets are great, tho! Same for the Pat Metheney.) Lots of effects, all sound good, S/PDIF outs, 24-bit A/D-D/A converters, great stereo outputs, it sounds great.
3. Backing Up Presets - All presets can be backed up to your computer's hard drive via a MIDI cable (Make sure your sound card works with this, if you can. Most newer cards will be fine, or perhaps a USB to MIDI port.) On top of that, you can edit presets on your PC via the included GENEDIT software.
4. The 8-track is very good, esp. considering this is a pedal. It doesn't replace a newer dedicated digital multitrack, say, but it does its job pretty well. There are three recording quality modes... A. CD. Full 16-bit. B. LP. Slightly lower quality, more time allowed, and C. EP. Worst quality, longest time. For longer recordings, a SmartMedia card is a must, preferably 128MB. which is 24 track minutes at CD quality. I believe it comes with 16MB of on-board memory. The looper is terrific, too. All done on the fly with the footswitches. There is an optional Digitech footswitch you can get JUST for recording functions, too, so you can retain the use of the pedal's footswitch funtions for changing presets, etc.
5. I love mine, and wouldn't get rid of it, but there are a few other choices that work well. The BOSS GT-6 is one. Very comparable sounds, even more presets, similar layout, etc. Also very versatile, good digital quality. No looper or 8-track, however. The Vetta Amp is similar in terms of function.... the new POD XT is basically a Vetta in a box, but definately more of a pure amp sim than say an effects processor. The BOSS and GNX have the advantage of being both amp simulators AND effects processors. Hope this helps. I'd highly recommend the GNX3 (unless your a snobby tube purist!)
Old 01-14-2003, 09:10 PM

Thanks for your feedback! I am a tube purist, hence the dual recto... but i want some more options for my sound. Plus simplicity, I am sick of this line of pedals. Well, thanks so much for your help! Im definatly thinking about this... anyone else have comments?

Tags
boss pedal, dual recto, eric johnson, expression pedal, foot switch

Show/Hide Posting Rules