Ibanez JEM Forum banner
6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Nordhauser 
#1 ·
Hi,

I notice that Joe Satriani uses both (on occasion) but after reading reviews on Harmony central the Boss PS-5 (Pitch shifter) seems to be coming out with way poorer reviews than the Whammy (re-issue). I'm after a pitch shifter that'll do single note harmonies, nothing too radical, certainly nothing like +/- 1 octave. What do you guys use (assuming some of you at least use one or the other)?
Al comments welcome as neither are cheap!
Thanks guys,
Chris

#4 ·
I just purchased a PS-5 and it is horrible! I don't understand how anyone could accually use that thing. Makes alot of noise and sucks your tone and turns it all digitally. The harmonizer is pretty complicated; you have to be in perfect tune and know what key your playing. I haven't tried the digitech, but there is no way it could be worse.

#6 ·
The Whammy Pedal has the advantage of being able to change notes with the treadle, under your guitar's sound. The PS-5 can't do that, and it's a pretty cool thing, but they do have intelligent pitch shifting so you don't have to worry so much about what notes you are playing.

Then again, with the whammy, you've got the option to go 'weeeeee!' if you ever feel the need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.