Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  shogun 
#1 ·
I was unfamiliar with the term GAS until recently-- i knew i had it, without even knowing what it meant.. and i knew i had it bad..

i just turned 19 and i have gone through a ****LOAD of gear..
to name off a few things i have got in the past year n a half or so
-musicman jp (used)
-musicman axis supersport (on its way)
-rg1570 (upgraded the pups)
-repaired / modded a squire (like 600$ CA at my cost)
-modded a mexi strat (like 700ish at my cost)
-bought my podxt n **** back from a friend
-a cheap korg processor for headphone practice
-about 10 stompboxes (voodoo labs, visual sound, boss, ibanez)
-genz benz el diablo 100c
-marshall 1960A & 6505+head
-fender supersonic 112

the list goes on but those are my more memorable purchases.. i taught guitar for a living this year and also worked in a store where i got great discounts.. i have saved SOME money for schooling, car, **** like that.. but the majority of my earnings definately went towards gear.. i am still paying bills for some things, and already I am anxious to get a Gator ATA roadcase for my 6505 & a gator pedal tote for my pedals..

i didnt really make this thread to brag about how much money i spend on gear.. i just want to know::::::: Will i stop doing this when I am married and settled down?? Will I still dream at night about having this certain amp, or guitar?? How often will I get in a fight with my wife over a new piece of gear that I want to buy??

Tell me youre guys experience and learnings about this and list your list of gear that was purchased due to GAS over the last year or two!!!

See less See more
#11 ·
Theres always something... right now I want a tubescreamer... the only way I can stop myself from buying one is by obsessing over which model and which mods I want... that way it will take me a long time to decide and usually Ill loose interest after a while...

It doesnt always work though... hence the approxiomatly 20 guitars I have distributed between the UK and Ireland and I always have my eye on something on the bay...

oh... Im also looking for a crafter cruiser mini-guitar to play darkness songs or encores at gigs... I think the audience should get a kick out of that...

#16 ·
You'll stop doing it if you don't have anything that allows you to spend money on gear (meaning a good job and education). I was lucky enough that I got a nice job and I'm almost done with school (it took me a while to figure out that I should have a degree). If you're 19, get the schooling out of the way and you'll have all the time in the world to buy whatever your heart desires. You don't want to be in your early 30's and still going to school full time at night, working full time in the day, married and with a kid on the way. It can be done but, if you can avoid it by getting it done earlier in life, it's better.

Jimmy:smile:

#21 ·
I've been saying it for years....as long as you have a good, high quality guitar, then hard practice cures gas. And I've got a dozen or so myself, some of which haven't been out of their cases for weeks or months.... :lol:

If you have a good guitars and really want to spend hundreds and hundreds on a new one, get Jack Zucker's "Sheets of Sound" and Petrucci's "Wild Stingdom" instead. ;) They're cheapoer, and you'll likely get far better as well.

#23 ·
GAS is life, life is GAS. Until you learn to master your GAS, your GAS will be your master.

I have 35 guitars... turns out I can only play one at a time.
I have 9 amps including three Hughes & Kettner 100W heads... turns out I haven't played a live gig in about 12 years.

The GAS that comes with being a musician is like sex--once you do it, you're hooked... sure you could live without it (debatable), but who wants to...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.