Ibanez JEM Forum banner
6K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  CityofBlindingLights 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm new here.

I would like to begin by saying I am an employee for DR strings, I work in Quality Control, Press Releases, and Online sections of DR. Is there anything I need to do/need to know about posting?

Oh, and I have a question. Do/have you use(d) DR Strings, and do you like(d) them? Suggestions? Comments?

#13 · (Edited)
Well, I posted a thread about DR strings a while back.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62450

Reason why is because I was a D'Addario user for approximately 20 years, and I had 3 bad sets in a row. All were bought from separate stores and with quite a bit of time in between. The problem I had with the D'Addario's was that they were leaving dark stains on my frets after only a few hours playing. I posted and asked for people's input on DR, and most people said they liked them. I decided to give them a shot and I was really surprised how good they really are. Unfortunately, the set I got was corroded before I even put them on. How this happened I have no clue, but my conclusion is that the pack seal had maybe a small hole in it and the strings were kept in a damp place. As for the feel and tone of the strings, regardless of the small spots of corrosion, I could tell they were great straight away.

I wrote to DR, they responded quickly and offered to send a replacement pack. I recieved those a few days ago. I restrung with the new ones and they are great. I love these strings. No corrosion. By the way, they are Hi-Beams, 9-42 gauge.

Since I started buying DR, I have recommended them to quite a few people. What I like is how long they last -- bloody AGES! They keep their colour well and don't tarnish or go black quickly, and they feel absolutely spot on. Very bendy, and they don't tire out my fingers like D'Addario or any other string I've used in my 27 years of playing guitar. I was kinda reluctant to take the other set off because they were still fresh after at least 3 weeks, but I wanted a non-corroded set to really see how these strings feel.

I can't really say enough good things about them, the only suggestion I would like to make is that they improve the packaging. This is one area where D'Addario scores an extra point -- bio-degradable packaging, and I have never had a set that was corroded right out of the pack. If DR can come up with something like this, I wouldn't be able to fault them at all.

CityofBlindingLights -- I must give my respect to you for coming here as a DR employee, looking for feedback and ways to improve your products. Bravo.

Oh, I haven't broken one yet, and I can honestly say I've given them a good hammering.

Try the Hi-Beams. They are not coated, just regular nickel wounds on a hex core.

#4 ·
Here is what both of my teachers had to say about DR strings (please do not take this offensively, just telling you the comments of two renowned musicians in my area):

"I recently purchased a set of DR strings and I have to say they where the most overpriced pieces of junk I have ever tried. They corroded on me within the week. Granted I play alot, but I never had any problems with D'addario. They usually last me about three weeks. I will never waste money on DR strings again."

"I switched to DR, and although they say DR is supposed to last three times as long, the three sets I used all corroded within a week. And they break easily. They also refuse to hold tune (I can't imagine using these things live....) And they are a pain to wind if you have never installed them before, and are a pain to install every time after that, especially since all of my guitars have Floyds and require both ends of the strings to be crimped so as not to pull the hand-winding off the core."

Once again, please take and use it as constructive criticism (even though it may not seem like it) :lol:

Possibly there is a problem with corrosion? Anyways, my friend uses DR strings and loves them, so I don't if it was a coincidence that both of my teachers had bad experiences in particular with DR strings. I like the colors though.

#8 ·
i for one actually really like dr's
i use the coated ones on nearly all of my guitars. i want some pinks for my 7 string though! i seriously wont buy any other strings now. maybe d'addarios sound ok for one gig, but after that they knackered, i cant afford a new set every 2 days!

#12 ·
i use DR Tite Fit 9s in my RG and they're the best strings I've ever used. This sets been on for about a month and still sounds great. I tried the Black Beauties but they dont last any longer than tite fits b/c one you bend a string enough, it will break, and considering i have a floyd the string gets bent back and forth alot

#17 ·
I played with DRs when I first started, and I really liked them, but they were too expensive at over 6 dollars when I could get D'Addarios for under 3. I really want to try them out on my RG but I play live so much now and only have one guitar (The RG) with a decent Floyd that I would only be able to really test them out on my SG which I don't play nearly as much, or take a huge risk with them in a live setting. Think I can trust them live?

Also, is there anyway I could request a sample set from the website, the closest store that sells them to me is Sam Ash and thats like 45 minutes away! :(

Welcome to the forum!

#19 ·
Dino probably opened a huge can of worms by posting that link, but I was impressed by the ZOG strings when I tried them. I would like to see more manufacturers making "progressive tension" sets. I know it probably won't happen, but if DR could make a set like this -- 9, 12, 16, 24, 32, 44 -- I would be very happy.

There are two reasons why I don't buy ZOG -- I have to have them shipped from the USA, and with postage costs it works out more expensive than I'd like, and they are made by D'Addario.

#20 ·
I absolutely love the DR strings. My guitar teacher on the other hand hates coated strings with every fiber of his being. He told me that they last forever, so you have a string that sounds like crap for a long time. This is his opionion, not mine.

So after hearing my teachers complaining, I used his suggestion of putting GHS Boomers on my Fender strat. I like the rich sound that comes out of them, but I don't like the dull look of them and I certainly don't like the feel of the strings so much when I bend and slide. I find the DR's much more malleable.

I really like the colored strings. I have bought pink and red. The red looks hot on my Pirates of the Caribbean Epiphone Les Paul with red skull and crossbones fret in-lays.

A few complaints that I do have is the following: for one, the coating comes off right away from the pick (probably not much of a way around that one), and secondly, I don't know if I just got a couple of bad string packs, but I had an issue with a bad G-string straight out of the box and new strings going dead within a week. My other gripe, but more with the retail end of things, is that they will not break up sets for replacement, but I guess I can see why on this point.

Right now I have GHS Boomers on one guitar, and DR color coated on two, and I believe I prefer the DR by far. Hopefully I just had bad luck with a few random packs, because I think so highly of these strings. I do like the Black Beauties, too.

#21 ·
I've been using tite fits for about ten years.Excellent strings.Improve the packaging.I have gotten a few bad sets,slighty corroded.I usually play 3 shows,3 rehearsals and 3 recording sessions before I change them.I do alot of intense bending and whammy abuse.They hold tune exremely well and I can't remember the last time I broke one.I tried the coated strings.I was surprised that the tone wasn't that different from a regular set, but the coating doesn't last in the picking area(jazz 3) very long.If you could seal the strings similar to the way dadario does it could help eliminate the occasional bad set.

#22 ·
Hello all, I'm new here.

I would like to begin by saying I am an employee for DR strings, I work in Quality Control, Press Releases, and Online sections of DR. Is there anything I need to do/need to know about posting?

Oh, and I have a question. Do/have you use(d) DR Strings, and do you like(d) them? Suggestions? Comments?
I bought my first set a week ago. I love them. They're Tite Fits (.010-.046). They have a great, bright sound to them that I absolutely adore.

#25 ·
Well I just got a set of Hi-Beam's (9-42) and put them on my Suhr. Unforetunately I'm disappointed. The wound strings sound and feel great, but the plain strings have little spots of corrosion all over them - they feel rough and not nice at all. I'm about to send an email to DR to complain. :(

#29 ·
I just got some Extra Life in blue, I wanted the hot pink but the store were out of pinks, I think the pink string will look better on my RG2550 which has a pink-ish pickguard. Anyway this is my first time trying Dr string, I have been using D'adario for about 15 years now. I am very impressed with DR so far, I got the 9-42 set. Plays nice, bends well, holds up in tune very nice. And they look great in blue. I only got about 2 hours of play out of them so far, I'll re-post in a few days to see if they really last longer than regular, I sure hope they do they cost three times a much as D'adario

Pics just for fun..

#30 ·
I've got a set on my carvin 7 (High beams 9-56) and a set on my Jackson Soloist (Hi beams9-42). I always use D'Addarios but they were raving about these over on the 7 string forum a while back so I thought I'd give them a try.
I honestly really didn't notice much a a difference between the Dr's and the d'addarios , are the High Beams coated as well? It sure doesn't feel like it?
Overall I like them, I may just go back and forth between the 2 brands (Dr/D'Addario) for a while and see which I like better.
I used to exclusively use GHS boomers but I received 4 or 5 sets in a row that were crap, they just kept breaking on me, so I switched to the D'Addarios.
I get my DR's from juststrings.com awesome service and a great inventory to choose from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.