<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 AM

ENGL Amps

Hi, I've been looking at these amps online, I haven't a chance to try one and that sucks. So I'm wondering if anyone has one to mention the model and what style of music they play and comment on what they do and don't like so that I can possibly get one of these for myself.

Thanks in advance, regards
Nelson
Old 11-16-2009, 06:34 PM

Re: ENGL Amps

Doesn't anyone own one or ever played one?

Regards,
Nelson
Old 11-16-2009, 07:33 PM

I've got the E580 midi programmable preamp and it kicks serious ass. It is extremely versatile doing crystal cleans as well as heavy heavy rock. No need for an extra booster pedal here for leads. I've been using it for a year now in my band.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:46 AM

Reviews: 12

I've played a Fireball and Thunder. Very nice amps with great cleans, mid gain crunch and high gain tones.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:21 AM

Reviews: 39

We recorded our EP on an ENGL e530 Modern Rock preamp/Carvin T-100 rack setup through a Mesa Recto 4x12 and Digi 002 ProTools rack. I was resonably pleased with it, but have since moved back to Mesa. (note, the recordings are unmixed and unmastered)

www.myspace.com/ytwwvofficial

Guitar used: Gibson Flying-V (me), Ibanez RG350DX (Dave)
Effects: Vintage 1978 EH Deluxe Electric Mistress
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM

I'm using the ENGL SE (Special Edition) It's freaking great, I've had it for three years now and never even thought about switching to another amp.

I play mostly rock and metal but I think it's capable off many styles. When I plug in my strat I can get some nice clean tones too. Funk it up!!

The SE offcourse is a 3000 amp. But I've played a Fireball 100W today while trying out a RG7620 and it sounded quite nice too.

Just go out and try them. And if you're playing rock / metal, get a cab with V30's, it's worth it.

Colin
Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 PM

My setup is Engl E580 midi preamp into Mesa Boogie stereo 2:90 and into Marshall 300W 4x12 cab. I can get any sound I want.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 PM

I used to own an Engl Steve Morse Signature head. It was like taking the Starship Enterprise to a gig. I used it with a Voodoo Lab Ground Control to access all of the heads functions. As far as gadgets go, it had everything, what it really lacked though was inspiring tone. I seem to like simplicity, and I really do not like compressed high gain tones. The clean channel on the amp was fantastic, but as you got higher and higher in gain, the amp got more and more compressed, which makes notes sustain forever, but there is no openness or air around the notes. I've played a few Diezels that are like that as well, they get overly compressed as the you go higher in gain and you lose that big guitar sound. Also, when the gain is that compressed you lose the touch sensitivity and ability to get a great clean sound out of backing off the guitar volume. Anyway, I still like my old Marshall JCM-800 and Budda Superdrive 80 amps for big, open, enveloping guitar sounds. I guess I have gotten too old for this nasally, one dimensional sound that newer amps seem to favor. There is a reason so many people try to copy old Marshall Plexi and JCM tones, they are very responsive to the guitar and guitar player rather than imposing the amp's character on to the sound. I do really like the Cornford MK50HII. If I ever get enough money together, that will be my next amp purchase. Anyway, good luck with your search, and try everything you can, you may not like anything that I like in an amp, which is why there are so many different amps out there.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRush View Post
I used to own an Engl Steve Morse Signature head. It was like taking the Starship Enterprise to a gig. I used it with a Voodoo Lab Ground Control to access all of the heads functions. As far as gadgets go, it had everything, what it really lacked though was inspiring tone. I seem to like simplicity, and I really do not like compressed high gain tones. The clean channel on the amp was fantastic, but as you got higher and higher in gain, the amp got more and more compressed, which makes notes sustain forever, but there is no openness or air around the notes. I've played a few Diezels that are like that as well, they get overly compressed as the you go higher in gain and you lose that big guitar sound. Also, when the gain is that compressed you lose the touch sensitivity and ability to get a great clean sound out of backing off the guitar volume. Anyway, I still like my old Marshall JCM-800 and Budda Superdrive 80 amps for big, open, enveloping guitar sounds. I guess I have gotten too old for this nasally, one dimensional sound that newer amps seem to favor. There is a reason so many people try to copy old Marshall Plexi and JCM tones, they are very responsive to the guitar and guitar player rather than imposing the amp's character on to the sound. I do really like the Cornford MK50HII. If I ever get enough money together, that will be my next amp purchase. Anyway, good luck with your search, and try everything you can, you may not like anything that I like in an amp, which is why there are so many different amps out there.
Hi, thanks very cool opinions. I'm not much of a fan of over compressed hi-gain tones either, but I guess sometimes it's cool. Looks like I'm in the market for a JCM800...

Regards,
Nelson
Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Noord View Post
I've played a Fireball and Thunder. Very nice amps with great cleans, mid gain crunch and high gain tones.
Isn't the fireball a completely different beast from the thunder ? I have the feeling (never tried any though) that the Thunder is more for a covering a lot of ground but not totally metal whereas the fireball will take you into total high gain territory, but maybe not so much for jazzy bluesy tones ?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:15 AM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsabino View Post
Hi, thanks very cool opinions. I'm not much of a fan of over compressed hi-gain tones either, but I guess sometimes it's cool. Looks like I'm in the market for a JCM800...

Regards,
Nelson
Have you ever thought about using Orange amps?

They have incredibly unique tones and when not using Mesa that's my second choice!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 AM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwalker View Post
Isn't the fireball a completely different beast from the thunder ? I have the feeling (never tried any though) that the Thunder is more for a covering a lot of ground but not totally metal whereas the fireball will take you into total high gain territory, but maybe not so much for jazzy bluesy tones ?
They are different, but truthfully, I could get satisfying cleans, overdrive and high gain tones from both. The biggest difference being that the Fireball had way more gain on tap and is was more scooped and synthetic sounding. Where as the Thunders high gain was more raw and organic sounding.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:34 PM

So far the Invader and Steve morse are my favourite amps EVER. I can get any tone I want out of them, they're easy to dial and they're so articulate and focused. The Fireballs and Powerball are metal machines, not to say you can't get other tones, but god damn they do a great metal tone.

The special edition is in a class of its own, the flexibility is halarious and it even has a cable tester!

I've been searching for the right amp for a long time, and when I started playing the invvader, I finally found my tone. It such a good feeling! I'm addicted to it!

Show/Hide Posting Rules