Floyd Rose effect on tone - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment
Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:51 PM

Floyd Rose effect on tone

I'm about to purchase a Suhr Modern Satin:

http://www.suhr.com/modern-satin-ms-ns-f-hh.html

I'm leaning toward the one with the locking trem, which is the Original Floyd Rose. I know there's already other threads on this topic, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about the effect on tone the Floyd Rose will have on THIS GUITAR. I know that's a tricky subject, and there is one video where they guy does a comparison, but it's two different guitars and one seems to have an action that's too low (fret buzz like crazy, the one with the locking trem).

So from your experience, what kind of effect does the Floyd Rose have on tone, mainly with clean tones? I'm not really worried about it's tonal effect when I'm using overdrive/distortion. But what about those cleans????

And what's your experience with the Original Floyd Rose? I've only had the original Edge tremolo on an Ibanez, which is great.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:35 AM

Reviews: 1

Re: Floyd Rose effect on tone

To me an original Floyd Rose sounds 'crisper' than an original Edge trem, kind of like turning up the treble and / or presence control on the amp.

I've only got one guitar with a proper Floyd, a Stormshadow custom which is a very different construction to a typical Ibanez; set Pau ferro neck, one piece Honduran mahogany body, old school superstrat shape, a real old Charvel vibe type thing, but it has that underlying character of a slightly crisper, harder sound, which I can hear over any other differences in the sounds.

My JEM7VWH from Rich Harris sustains better though, whether that's the individual guitÓrs, Rich's famous set up or the anything tondo with the trems, I don't know. I'd put my money on it being Rich's set up though rather than the difference in bridges.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:51 AM

I find they don't sound nearly as good as the edge. Kind of hollow and definitely more trebley but not in a good way. They aren't bad obviously but if I had a choice then the edge would win every time.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:50 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
I find they don't sound nearly as good as the edge. Kind of hollow and definitely more trebley but not in a good way. They aren't bad obviously but if I had a choice then the edge would win every time.
Yes... hollow!!!! That's a great way to describe it, I know exactly what you mean there!
Old 11-12-2016, 03:21 PM

It's funny, you guys should see the responses I got in another forum. Complete opposite of what you're saying. Here's what two of them said:

"Nice choice.
The Floyd won't take away from your clean tones. The mahogany is fine wood for what you're planning, but you may want to add the largest brass sustain block you can fit under there to the Floyd Rose. The OFR comes with a brass sustain block, but the larger one will make a difference to the tone (you'll have to tell me if you like it better or not, but I've put them on almost all of my Floyds now), it will make a difference in the "feel" lf the guitar (balance), the feel of the Floyd when you use it, and to what happens when you bend and use vibrato. I personally feel it's an improvement all round.
I think the "natural" finish is a matte or semi-matte polyester (a good thing).
"

And...

"They're quality made, I doubt you'd notice the difference in clean tones between the bridge. If you're a Floyd guy I'd stay stick with it."
Old 11-12-2016, 06:44 PM

That is interesting, and just goes to show how much of it is the listener's interpretation.

I've never done a direct A/B recording, swapping out trems in the same guitar, so I can't say for sure, but with about 25 years of playing Ibanez guitars, I'd say that in general an Edge equipped guitar will sound smoother or softer than a similar guitar with an original Floyd Rose, almost like you've notched the presence control down by a couple of points.

And so far I've not been overly impressed with the whole brass block thing, but I might give it another try on my next project.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
That is interesting, and just goes to show how much of it is the listener's interpretation.

I've never done a direct A/B recording, swapping out trems in the same guitar, so I can't say for sure, but with about 25 years of playing Ibanez guitars, I'd say that in general an Edge equipped guitar will sound smoother or softer than a similar guitar with an original Floyd Rose, almost like you've notched the presence control down by a couple of points.

And so far I've not been overly impressed with the whole brass block thing, but I might give it another try on my next project.
Good point; a lot of us interpret the same tone differently it seems. But my confidence in the Floyd Rose got increased a bit when I went to a store yesterday that carries Suhr's, to try some out, and their owner/tech said that the ones with the Floyd Rose sound awesome as well. He said Suhr wouldn't put them in if they sucked a lot of tone. A slightly different tone, but not a huge difference. Also, he talked about how Suhr actually went back to using the original Floyd Rose over the Gotoh Floyds because the original Floyd Rose guys got their act together and now they think it's the best, function and sound wise (besides the Edge of course).

Anyway, I ordered mine last night! The HH with Floyd Rose. I'll post a reply or a full review once I get it.

Now I just need to worry about selling my Ibanez, this one (2015):

http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_...300&color=CL01
Old 11-21-2016, 01:10 PM

IMO, the bigger change is going from a fixed bridge to ANY locking trem. The attack is different - maybe a little less pronounced, I guess, since the trem is free to vibrate a little as you pick, whereas a fixed bridge is locked in place and has a little more of an acousticy shimmer to it. It'll also (clearly) respond a bit less linearly as you dig in than a fixed in - if you hit a floyd hard enough you get trem flutter, while a fixed bridge just gets louder and mroe explosive.

I've used OFRs and Edges, some in the same guitar (my PWH has an OFR these days), and I'll happily use either - they're both great trems. I do recommend swapping out the stock Floyd bar for their new pop-in collar design, though, which to me is a huge upgrade.

I suspect the reason you're getting different responses in both places is familiarity - the crowd here have been playing Ibanez guitars most of their career, and are used to the Edge, whereas I'm guessing the other board you're asking this on is comprised of guys who are used to the OFR. I think the differences between the two are pretty subtle, but if you're used to hearing one, the other might be a little odd at first.

Tags
floyd rose , locking tremolo , suhr , tone

Show/Hide Posting Rules