<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:39 PM

G-system users, how do you connect yours?

Hi,

SInce I've had my G-system I've always connected it so that the instrument connects direct to the G-system input, then I send from the 'insert' loop to my amp head, return from the amp FX send, then the G-system output goes to the amp FX return, so that I'm 'inserting' the amps' pre-amp before the bulk of the G-system effects.

However I've slowly grown to dislike the resulting effect on my tone, its not as organic and 'natural' as before I started using the G-system, so today I took the much simpler route of instrument direct to the amp input and just use the g-sysem via the fx loop, somehow things are sounding much better, I use a Framptone amp switcher to direct the guitar signal to either a G-system'd DSL100 amp or an identical straight (no effects) DSL100 amp, so can flick between the two and compare the results of the g-system.

In every configuration case that the manual describes, each one states that the guitar should initially connect to the G-system, so I never though to try the other most obvious config, I'm glad I finally did though!

So how do you other G-system users connect yours?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 PM

Re: G-system users, how do you connect yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
Hi,

SInce I've had my G-system I've always connected it so that the instrument connects direct to the G-system input, then I send from the 'insert' loop to my amp head, return from the amp FX send, then the G-system output goes to the amp FX return, so that I'm 'inserting' the amps' pre-amp before the bulk of the G-system effects.

However I've slowly grown to dislike the resulting effect on my tone, its not as organic and 'natural' as before I started using the G-system, so today I took the much simpler route of instrument direct to the amp input and just use the g-sysem via the fx loop, somehow things are sounding much better, I use a Framptone amp switcher to direct the guitar signal to either a G-system'd DSL100 amp or an identical straight (no effects) DSL100 amp, so can flick between the two and compare the results of the g-system.

In every configuration case that the manual describes, each one states that the guitar should initially connect to the G-system, so I never though to try the other most obvious config, I'm glad I finally did though!

So how do you other G-system users connect yours?
Interesting.
That's actually how Vai connects his I believe.

Guess the drawback with that is that if you use the Filter or Compression effects they will be in the wrong place in the signal chain?
Also any drive pedals placed into the loops they will also be in the wrong place.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:23 AM

I sold mine because it is a tone sucker. No matter how you connect it it will affect your tone.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 AM

After considerable research I decided to plum for one of these & am very glad I did!!
The switching possibilities with this thing are amazing.

However I can easily understand how some people who buy this could be dissapointed, it's not the easiest thing to setup & the manual is basically crap!

It would be very easy to screw up your tone by making the wrong adjustments on the unit.

Anyone who has one I suggest you download & read this:

http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-s...ting-guide.pdf

However when properly set up the effect on your tone is negligible......& certainly no worse than that caused by a couple of stomp boxes in your rig.

See below on my documented progress on this post on the TC forum:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=4583
Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 AM

i've read Laird's guide, and nothing he mentions seems to work for me. I have a good ear, and can hear when my tone is being sucked. The bottom line is, the g system loads your pickups different, and for me, it ruins my tone. For 95% of people, I'm sure they are fine with losing a bit of sparkle, but for me, that means everything.. I'm not about to go spend more money and experiement with buffers, and i don't need compression, and the rest of the stuff that comes with the front end..

Running it through the FX has no negative effect on my tone, and works great.

here's a demo of the dirty ch of my amp w/ the g system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qarCkw6XKMo

and one of the 'clean'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv8QbTBjV0I
Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
i've read Laird's guide, and nothing he mentions seems to work for me. I have a good ear, and can hear when my tone is being sucked. The bottom line is, the g system loads your pickups different, and for me, it ruins my tone. For 95% of people, I'm sure they are fine with losing a bit of sparkle, but for me, that means everything.. I'm not about to go spend more money and experiement with buffers, and i don't need compression, and the rest of the stuff that comes with the front end..

Running it through the FX has no negative effect on my tone, and works great.

here's a demo of the dirty ch of my amp w/ the g system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qarCkw6XKMo

and one of the 'clean'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv8QbTBjV0I
Nice tone & nice playing.
Can't really argue with you, obviously anything apart from a lead between your guitar & amp will affect your tone to some extent.
It's all about how much you are prepared to compromise I guess, & obviously your not.

Tags
amp head, amp input

Show/Hide Posting Rules