Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Gig bag or hard case?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  KevinS 
#1 ·
I dislike gig bags so much. I need hard cases to protect my stuff and my piece of mind...The gig bag seems so sketchy as far as safety.

I'm curious to find out what you guys use more of.

#4 ·
For tossing a bunch of guitars in my car for transport, or (not that all mine don't live on their stands) storage or whatever, definitely a hard case.

That said, I always have a gig bag. If I'm going to a blues jam or something, I think something like this that I can sling across my back while I walk is FAR more convenient. I think all of my guitars have cases, but I definitely have a gig bag that gets a lot of use for quick trips with a single guitar out of the house.

#5 · (Edited)
I have a hard case for every guitar. I also have a gig bag for convenience. I recently got a Mono gig back and that thing is so secure I feel like i could throw a guitar down the stairs and it might be ok. They aren't cheap but they are so damn secure and padded and there's a neck brace inside. You might wanna look into mono if you want a good gig bag.

#6 ·
I've got 2 electrics and share 1 gigbag (ritter) and an old had case, depending on the use I have.
I could use the gigbag or the hard case to go to rehearsals, for gigs the 2 (2 guitars) but for example, the gigbag is mandatory: I go by bike at work (actually bike + train): with the gigbag I can grab the guitar with me (if there's no rain of course)

#7 ·
It really depends on your age and how far away your practice space is. Also last time I had to park for 4 hours in central London it cost over £40 so in the rare cases where I need to get somewhere with a guitar I use a gig bag.
Here's a pic where we met with some jemsite members for a jam, I'm the guy next to the yellow sign and there's a gig bag on my back. It's so convenient and unobtrusive, you have to click on the full size pic to even see it.

This is Denmark street by the way, it used to be THE place to visit for guitars and basses. These days GAK in Brighton or Guitar Village in Farnham is probably better.

#9 ·
I'll say this - as a longtime Levy's strap user, I've got the worst GAS for something like this:

LM18BW-BRN Electric Guitar Bag - Levy's Leathers

LM18PR-BRG Electric Guitar Bag - Levy's Leathers

...but those things cost more than a few of my guitars, so it seems like a pretty insane luxury. :lol:
I use the $7.00 Levy strap because it can raise the guitar higher than I would ever need it to be raised. I have not found another strap that can do this. I also have not looked very hard.

As for the $730 gigbag, this appears to be a "form over function" product because at the end of the day it is still a bag...it is still a bag....8O

#12 ·
I've got hard shell cases for all my gear but starting to think it might be a good idea to have a gig bag as well. Would sure be convenient under the right circumstances like traveling in a car with just my stuff and me being the only handler. Seems like some of the gig bags are super-well-padded and very rugged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.