<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 05-25-2003, 04:20 AM

Guitar Picks/Plectrums, pictures, types, thoughts

Heya,

After checking out some picks with a friend yesterday who is still undecided on which type/size/thickness of pick he prefers I thought I'd do a search on here for your thoughts and experiences.

I found a couple of threads which were pretty cool. But none had photo's, or links to what the plectrums you guys were using actually looked like. Which isn't much I guess, but hey, I wanted to see pics and also share some experiences I've had with some of the differing materials used to make picks.

First up here are a couple of links to the other guitar pick/plectrum related threads:
http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...light=plectrum
http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...light=plectrum

And here is a picture of some of the picks I had handy. I only use the Fender Premium Heavy's now as I've found that for me they last the longest. (I like to chug on the low E which tends to eat the picks away as you can see with some of the picks in the photo):

ok, from top left to right we have:
Dunlop Tortex (something or other...haven't seen these ones in the shops for years. Last I saw would've been 1990 or something),

Good old Jim Dunlop RIFFS 0.73mm... used these for years till I couldn't find any in the shops anymore. If you notice the tip is a little rounded, it should be much sharper. (I have a couple more of these that are a lot more blunt),

Dunlop Stubby 1mm... used it maybe once....didn't like it,

Gibson Thin... the most worn pick I have, the damn thing is nearly round!

several Dunlop Gator(I think) picks, the most worn one there I played with maybe...what?....twice. These picks were just eaten away extremely quickly,

Dunlop Nylon 0.60mm... too thin,

Fender Classic Heavy... my fav plectrum till I picked up the premium Heavy,

Fender Premium Celluloid Heavy... longevity = the best out of all I've played with. But your mileage may vary...

I'll be posting more pics of picks later. My mate went on a spree and bought 8 different picks of different sizes and materials.

Below are some picks of what alot seem to be using over here on the jemsite (Dunlop Jazz III). I can't seem to find these plectrums anywhere in Australia though.

Please share your experiences.

wil..
Old 05-25-2003, 04:55 AM

Who the heck cares? If it's not thick enough, get a thicker pick, if it's not sharp enough, sharpen it against the carpet. I personally use sharpened dunlop Ultex picks (although you can't sharpen them against the carpet - they're too damn hard for that) and stock Pickboy metacarbonate. Both are 1mm thick. I like sharp and hard picks.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:01 AM

lol!!! harsh much?

I care lol

Some others do too. Rob Balducci (as mentioned in a different post) even went as far as recording stuff with different picks and then choosing which one he preferred.

Here are a couple of fun facts: Steve Vai uses Heavy plectrums, and apparently John Petrucci uses Jazz III's.

:P

wil..
Old 05-25-2003, 05:12 AM

I never thought of sharpening a pick. Makes total sense though. I'll give that a go next time.

The thing that really annoyed me with picks is that as soon as I get use to one or find one that I like they tend to disappear from the stores, and I have to try and find another that doesn't wear too quickly.

wil..
Old 05-25-2003, 09:44 AM

The thing is to get used to the most generic kinds of picks around... that way you're never out of the ballgame.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:31 PM

I use the dunlop tortex blue picks. These are the longest lasting best picks in the world. Period!!!! Try to do a pick slide with one of those nylon picks and they are ruined.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:18 PM

Celluloid picks are great, they last pretty long. Dunlop makes celluloid picks, I haven't tried them out yet though.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch
I never thought of sharpening a pick. Makes total sense though. I'll give that a go next time.

The thing that really annoyed me with picks is that as soon as I get use to one or find one that I like they tend to disappear from the stores, and I have to try and find another that doesn't wear too quickly.

wil..
Just sharpen it at an angle (45 degrees) so that when you hold the pick the surface that's in contact with the string is nearly flat against it.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogod927
I use the dunlop tortex blue picks. These are the longest lasting best picks in the world. Period!!!!
Not anymore. Try Ultex picks.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I use the dunlop tortex blue picks. These are the longest lasting best picks in the world. Period!!!! Try to do a pick slide with one of those nylon picks and they are ruined.
I know, if I did a close up of that grey nylon pick you'd see the sides are all chewed. Not very nice to hold, but hey, grip! hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
Quote:
I use the dunlop tortex blue picks. These are the longest lasting best picks in the world. Period!!!!
Not anymore. Try Ultex picks.
The only tortex pick I have is that funny shaped green one. (I've always wondered what the "shape" was for....you know, the grooves and that extra sharp bit).

Ultex...hmmm...I'll have to buy one.

wil..
Old 05-25-2003, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch
Quote:
I know, if I did a close up of that grey nylon pick you'd see the sides are all chewed. Not very nice to hold, but hey, grip! hehe
I know. I use the white ones (.46).
My workaround to the problem is to stock up on them.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:03 AM
(a)

I'm currently using the Dunlop red Jazz III. I also occasionally use a Pickboy Edge 1.00 mm. These are carbon fiber coated nylon and have a super feel.

I love pointy picks!
Old 05-26-2003, 04:17 PM

I use mostly Fender Celluloid Extra Heavy picks. thats all I know
Old 05-26-2003, 05:18 PM

Those funny looking, shark fin,dunlop picks, are just stupid!! What is the point??? Do they do anything besides look stupid??
Old 05-26-2003, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Those funny looking, shark fin,dunlop picks, are just stupid!! What is the point??? Do they do anything besides look stupid??
I have no idea!! I wonder what the thought was behind the design of these picks. I'd like to hear what each part of the pick is "supposed" to do...

Tags
dunlop jazz iii, dunlop tortex, jim dunlop, john petrucci, rob balducci, steve vai

Show/Hide Posting Rules