Helix 6 - Jemsite
Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Helix 6

So I've recently got back into guitar after a decade of not playing, and I have splurged out on some nice gear to get me going and so far to say I'm extremely happy is an understatment :-)

Guitar : RG655 (JEM777 30th LNG waiting for)
Amp : Marshall JVM410HJS w/ 1960b cabinet

Clearly I can't complain much as I feel I have won the game so far, but I miss effects, I used to have a line 6 practice amp with all the effects built in so made my first place to look at was the Line 6 gear.

So I see the Helix 6 looks like the one stop shop for effects and even amp effects.

First thing I thought would be good was when I was limited to playing quiet on my amp I can use the sim pre instead and drive it in the effects and push it out to the power amp stage giving me maybe better low down tone on the amp without playing at 100db :-) also means I can play around with other pre-amp combos, thats my understanding with 4 cable method?

Also it looks like i can also run effects only and used the glorious tone of my amp to do its thing without being messed with.

Is it worth the hype, 1200 is a lot of coin for a effects board, well for me anyways I think its allot, thoughts?

I can see the physical diferences between the floor version and rack also the basic reasons why you would go rack over floor mounted, studio etc and not having a massive box on the floor etc. Anything else that isnt so obvious I've missed?

I will never gig, I enjoy practicing techniques and playing alone so unlikey to ever need a floor board or expression pedal and if I do I can always wait for a second hand genuine helix board to come up to add onto the rack, or maybe it can be done in a cheaper method without the tags etc? Its only midi controlled?

So rack set up seems like the better choice as its cheaper too and I will most likey only ever use it in the one place...

Anyone bought the rack set up and wished they bought the floor setup instead, or maybe the otherway round?

As for the fictionality of the unit I have watched some youtube videos and looks straight forward.

OR

just buy a few good stomp boxes and have done :-) like 10th of the price :-)

Sorry for noob question, interesting to know your thoughts good or bad :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:02 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Helix 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by superclarkey View Post
I can play around with other pre-amp combos, thats my understanding with 4 cable method?
Yes, that's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superclarkey View Post
Is it worth the hype, 1200 is a lot of coin for a effects board, well for me anyways I think its allot, thoughts?
I own a POD HD500X, and I considered buying a Helix. After some tone comparisons, honestly, I didn't hear much improvement to justify that price tag. The HD500X sounds great, and with I gig with it too. So to me, no Helix upgrade.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Cheers for the advice. Anyone with a Helix 6 want to say argument towards? :-)

Also interested about rack vs floorboard H6
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:17 AM

Got a Pod HD (not the floorboard), not the X version too, and the Helix.

Imho opinion there's a world between those. Never tried the AxeFX.

The Helix does simulations a lot better, sounds better,is more consistent, and is, after some trial and error, much easier to use. You can change the presets on the go, very easily.

The screen displaying your loop is pretty comfortable to use, and the overall feeling is of a very rugged unit, yet transportable. And Line6 is updating it pretty often, with new amps, cab, pedals or just software updates. The led colored switches are perfectly readable on stage as well.

As much as I understand the step from a podHD500X is not a big one, the question is : if you can afford it, it's pretty much everything you need. Ho, sure, the purist won't recognise the ripple from his favorite amp, but to me it comes close. Even more so, I really can't afford owing Dozens of amps/cabs and so on, and if the sound is not perfectly accurate, it does the job to me.

Just my 2 cents really, but I use it all the time, unlike any other pedal/pedalboard/amp I own.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys. Pulled the trigger on a floor Helix 6 and will be with me monday :-) pow!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

It arrived today, but clearly had been out the box and some one has been using it, not impressed by that so I have returned it.. When buying new I expect a new in box.. there where finger prints all over it, I know i will cover it in more crap but thats not the point, new is new in my books
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Second one arrived today and it was also been opened messed with, so I have returned both.

When speaking with the company they said the units didn't have UK plugs in and had to be opened to have there plugs changed... sounds to me like they are buying in units from abroad and selling them in the uk... just a thought but have no proof on that matter.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:51 AM

Mine arrived arrived opened as well, and the reason was the same.
Different country too. Seems legit.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_F View Post
Mine arrived arrived opened as well, and the reason was the same.
Different country too. Seems legit.
Mine had finger prints all over it like someone had been eating a cheese burger and smeared there hands everywhere, there where finger prints on the buttons too, I would have thought if its was a genuine thing they would at least clean it before putting it back in the packet. Also changing cord I could believe if it had not been clearly used, maybe had to chance the language on the unit too? maybe.

Also when I called the first time to report the issue surely that would be the time to tell me "oh btw we do this and its ok" not send another unit out the same then tell me... thats how you loose faith in the company.

Problem is I lost faith in the company and didn't believe the story, what happens if it was a grey market item and warranty wasn't covered etc.

I will let others take that risk.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:56 AM

very nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode