Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50W combo

Tags
mesa amps
5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  racerevlon 
#1 ·
Does anybody have one??

I would definitively buy one but am a bit afraid it's a bit too powerful / loud for home practice /recording....

What do you think??

#2 ·
I haven't tried one yet but being 50wtts should have plenty of power and yet still be "tameable" enough for home use.

My next amp(s) will be the new 50wtt Express series from Mesa (head and 1x12 combo respectably). One of the nice things about the 5:50 and 5:25 Express amps is the ability to go from 50wtts (5:50) or 25wtts (5:25) to 5wtts. There are some other Mesa amps that have similar features of low wattage settings as well.

Try out as much stuff as you can with your own gear/guitar so you know what you're getting and do a little research on amps that have the power cut feature. (The Lonestar series from Mesa has those settings as well).

#3 ·
Tested the switchblade series, and must say, interface-wise, they are perfect. At last again a brand that combines presets in an analogue circuit, for the sake of presets. a pain in the *ss with 95% of other brands, you have to write your presets down or what ?? ;)

That said, make sure to test it as screamndemon69 says. It has a wide range of tones for sure but it's own flavor of distortion color. You sound convinced already.

As for power... it goes loud as hell, 50 or 100w tubes, doesn't really matter. luckily the switchblades series have a channel volume and master than keep things manageable, but as far as I can remember, they don't have a half power mode or something alike. The mesa 50 dual caliber as well as the Carvin legacy (had only 1 volume button) combo's I owned, couldn't simply dail them past 2 at home or blood would splatter out of my ears (it just did start hurting ;)).

#4 ·
Thanks....

Yes I like H&K a lot! for rehearsals I have a Trilogy which I love...
Like the distortion as well as te very clean sounds...
I like the idea of having the effects ready on the amp!!

At home I've played for the last 12 years!! (YES) on a H&K Attax 80 wich is great but starts to be a bit old and noisy (knobs..) circuits must be dead ;)

So yeah I will try to find some great amps and try them!

#5 ·
ah if you like the trilogy, you like the H&K distortion flavor. I've had the ATS30, ATS120 (I liked its Lead channel a lot at the time, completely different than the attax series), Attax 200 (superb clean but never liked the overdrives). I tried different H&K amps in stores later but I didn't return to H&K anymore, althouhg I had a lot of fait in the switchblade, simply great concept. (now my ADA MP1 3TM rullezzz ;))

a Switchblade for just home practice if you already have a trilogy might be a bit overkill ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.