Ibanez JEM Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is my amp done for?

5K views 59 replies 8 participants last post by  mi2tom 
#1 ·
I let a buddy borrow my head and cab and when he returned it I hooked it with the cable going into the 4 ohms input on the cab, but i didnt notice that he had switched the amp impedance on the head to 16 ohms. so after unknowingly playing with the amp impedance set at 16 ohms going into the 4 ohms channel on the cab for weeks, my amp just cut out in the middle of practice yesterday and now it wont turn back on at all.

Is this thing fried? I dont know the first thing about trying to fix a situation like this so any insight and help is appreciated

#6 ·
It's most likely damaged.

The most you should ever deviate is 2x the head output, and even then it's not such a good idea, so 4 into 8 would've probably been okay.

When you run low out into a higher setting, you can set up a situation where flyback voltages are created. It not only can fry your output xfrmer, it can damage components as well.

Good luck...

#9 ·
It's most likely damaged.

The most you should ever deviate is 2x the head output, and even then it's not such a good idea, so 4 into 8 would've probably been okay.

When you run low out into a higher setting, you can set up a situation where flyback voltages are created. It not only can fry your output xfrmer, it can damage components as well.

Good luck...
thanks for the info, then its probably thats what i feared, any idea if this is salvagable and how much it might cost?

#10 ·
Well, I've seen fuse and one diode replacements (total of $2.00 in parts) charged out at over $50.

So you're gonna have to pay for...diagnostics, labor, and parts.

So depending on what it is...lets assume transformer...probably 350-450.

That's a guess obviously.

#11 ·
Here, read this...... it's pretty simple to understand.

http://www.legendarytones.com/ohms.html

Look, with all the "information" you've received..... don't jump to conclusions! :roll: Hopefully you've only blown a fuse. Anyway, I wouldn't take any of this as "gospel"!

Besides, now you want everyone to troubleshoot it and give you a "ballpark" price to fix it? You don't even know what problems you have yet! :roll:

We have no info on the amp (brand, tube or solid state, wattage)..... again, take it to a amp tech, not a guitar forum for diagnoses! :lol: You'll get facts not opinions! ;)

#15 ·
Well, the bottom line is that you can diagnose simple problems with an amp, like pulling the amp out of its enclosure to see if the tubes blew (provided that it's a tube amp. If the amp has a fuse holder in the back panel, you can pull the fuse out and see if it's bad (again, provided that you have an amp that has such a feature). If neither of those work, then the problem is more involved and will definitely require a qualified technician to diagnose the problem and estimate a cost for repairs.

As i stated before, please post more information about your amp and cab (i,e. brand, type of amp, etc.). I agree with Jemplayer about loaning out things to people. Unfortunately, people will never treat something of yours with the same care you would because it's not theirs. As far as checking everything when it comes back to you, that should be a must especially with a head and cab.

Jimmy:smile:

#17 · (Edited)
its a b52 AT100watt tube head...to be honest i never noticed a difference with the wrong impedance settings because i only use this amp for distortion and pedals and loud volume at which point its not easy to detect subtle changes in texture like it were winetasting.

i did all the basic trouble shooting (checking cables power supply etc) and the fuse is fine. like i said the only thing i found out of line were the impedance settings.

i was just wondering what i could expect to be wrong with it and whether itd be worth trying to repair in the event that it was a serious problem (i.e. whether i should just buy a new one). but yeah it sounds like ill be taking it in to a tech.

#18 ·
its a b52 AT100watt tube head...

i did all the basic trouble shooting (checking cables power supply etc) and the fuse is fine. like i said the only thing i found out of line were the impedance settings.

i was just wondering what i could expect to be wrong with it and whether itd be worth trying to repair in the event that it was a serious problem (i.e. whether i should just buy a new one).
Duh.... Take it to a amp tech! Jeez..... it ain't "rocket science"!

Ah hell..... on second thought...... that amp is trash for sure, just send it to me. I'll pay the shipping.

In the mean time, go buy a new one. That will save you any extra "effort"! :lol:

Did you even read the link I posted??? :roll:

#19 ·
yeah i did read it, thanks for the info. also thanks for the condescension ****face. ill be sure to show you the same when you want to know how to have sex with a woman.

the reason i posted this question was because i simply didnt know whether it might be something easily fixable or not. i didnt want to go to a tech and have them look at it just to find out the problem was something stupid that i didnt know and could have found out by asking around.

#23 ·
hey i admit that i dont know what to do so i wasnt looking to try and take a screwdriver to the thing, all i was hoping and asking for were suggestions for things to check and possible easy fixes (e.g. the fuse thing that people spoke of) and to get a better idea of the problem (to help qwell my anxiety) before going through the process of lugging it out of my house or shipping it somewhere.

i mean if my car stopped running, id feel kind of silly towing it to some place just to find out the fanbelt was broken or something simple like that.

#25 ·
hey i admit that i dont know what to do so i wasnt looking to try and take a screwdriver to the thing, all i was hoping and asking for were suggestions for things to check and possible easy fixes (e.g. the fuse thing that people spoke of) and to get a better idea of the problem (to help qwell my anxiety) before going through the process of lugging it out of my house or shipping it somewhere.

i mean if my car stopped running, id feel kind of silly towing it to some place just to find out the fanbelt was broken or something simple like that.
Call your friend.... have him lug it out of the house! (and pay half too) :lol: And as far as the car analogy.... you still have to open the hood. That would be kinda like opening up the amp head. Have a "look see", but leave the tinkering to the mechanic! (or amp doc in this case) Besides..... don't tell me you'd drive your car with a broken fan belt..... I mean it does run the water pump, alternator, etc..... :lol:

If your procreation skills are anything like your amp/car skills...... for Gods sake get help! :lol:

#27 ·
jemplayer-

hahaha dont get TOO excited over disecting the car analogy. i never said id drive it, i couldnt if it were broken.

anyway im guessing that this type of stuff is all you know because its all you have. people must not be able to stand you in real life. i mean youre taking way too much pride in sounding like a guru here.

#31 ·
jemplayer-

hahaha dont get TOO excited over disecting the car analogy. i never said id drive it, i couldnt if it were broken.

anyway im guessing that this type of stuff is all you know because its all you have. people must not be able to stand you in real life. i mean youre taking way too much pride in sounding like a guru here.
Oh.... you're killin me! Such insight at your age..... And about the car. Hmmm let me see if I have this straight though. You did just plug into the amp and "run" it without checking it out right? So the car would be any different? :lol:

Nope, not a guru..... I've been just a clueless as you! But I did know to check the right places to get one (or buy one). Like I didn't go to a guitar forum for amp repair advise, I went to an amp forum! Duh! :lol:

#35 ·
hey nice attitude or not, youre a dick and pathetic.

I didnt have a "might be able to fix it mentality" from the start i just appreciated more insight.

god damn i mean these forums are useful, but the amount of rolley eye smiley faces you have to put up with from people with holier than thou attitudes is ridiculous.

#37 ·
hey nice attitude or not, youre a dick and pathetic.

I didnt have a "might be able to fix it mentality" from the start i just appreciated more insight.

god damn i mean these forums are useful, but the amount of rolley eye smiley faces you have to put up with from people with holier than thou attitudes is ridiculous.
Life is full of choices..... here, let me clue you in. You have two choices.... hit the "ignore button" or just sign off! It's your choice! Obviously still clueless though right?

#42 ·
You got the help early on..... something common sense should have told you already before posting!

So you're a winner? If you are that thin skinned maybe it's best you go elswhere. I've seen "noobs" take a little heat better than you! Pu$$y! Oh no.... Cid will be chiming in soon, I said the "p" word!

Evolusean.... See ya! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.