Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Is there a proper way to break in a CAB?

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  TheMusicBucket 
#1 ·
I have been told by some tonejunkie's that you should break in a cabinet before cranking it.. i have been told otherwise by other experienced musicians that it is BS and that marshall used to dime amps through them to test them before shipping & selling.. what do you guys think? I have a brand new 1960A beside me, i played it a bit today at a low volume, being cautious.. i have to use it at Jam on wednesday night and we play loud.. what can i do to 'break' the speakers in before then... and is it a neccessity or just a wives tale.

-shogun

#9 ·
Good post. I've heard this too but have no clue if it is true.

I wanted to be a smarta$$ and say "with a baseball bat" but, eh - I'll leave the funny quips to Andy and Cid 8)

#10 ·
Typically, cabs don't need to be "broken in", at least not that I've heard of. Most of the drivers employed for guitar cabinets are not made with the greatest materials on earth like a pair of B&W speakers would, for example.

High-end speakers, on the other hand, sometimes will need to go through a "break-in" period of 50-100 hours of normal playing (nothing loud volume wise) before they sound the way they were supposed to. Typically, audiophiles will make claims that this is something imperative for every speaker but, most speaker manufacturers will not disclose such procedures because they are not required.

I hope this helps.

Jimmy:smile:

#14 ·
thanks for the help guys.. what i am gathering is that it is more of a finatic procedure and isnt neccessary, im going to look around on the net a bit but i think i will crank it on clean for a bit and play some country (WOOO)..

another question: as your speakers age, do they sound better, or worse.. ( i am assuming it would be debatable.) is there a preference to brand new speakers?? or are worn speakers what some people look for.. assuming that they still work fine and are not out of phase..

#17 ·
:lol: you are killing me today JP55!!!

Thanks for the info bamm, I have always wondered about this issue myself.

#23 ·
The change that speakers go through is so hard to perceive that I wouldn't be able to quantify it with any real way to back it up. I have my 1st cab I bought and it's loaded with G12-85's and it still sounds great. I've had the cab for probably 15+ years. I haven't noticed any discernible changes, it always sounds like I think it will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.