<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Gear and Equipment

Gear and Equipment Gear & equipment disussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Old 01-13-2002, 02:09 PM

Iso. Booth - How do you make a Soundisolation booth??

Hi...

Well, I was wondering if anyone's got some personal experience and/or know how to make such a Booth/Box for enclosing a 2x12 cabinet for recording.

I know most facts and all... but I would really appritiate a "Blue Print" or some kind of "Make it yourself" instructions/drawing or pictures...

Thanx...

// Skully
Old 01-13-2002, 02:47 PM

Reviews: 3

Iso. Booth

I made one for my 4x12... there is exactly enough room (with foam insulation) to fit the cab and a mic in the front... hardly even enough room for that. *You want to avoid any excess space otherwise you'll get unwanted reverberations. *I just used 1/2" (I think) hardwood for the box (I would probably look into plywood instead) and I got a good deal on that overpriced studiofoam stuff for the insulation. *If you want I can post pictures.

There's really nothing to it... took the dimensions of my 4x12, added about 3" on each side (a little more in the front of the cab for a mic). *Used screws to hold it together and hinges for a door up front. *Cut a circle opening in back for the speaker cable and one up front for the mic cable.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:59 PM

Iso. Booth

Please do... post pictures...

Steve Vai sold his Sex &amp; Religion Iso Booth on Ebay...

As you see... There's a lot of room for miking...

But I was wondering if anyone has any Blue Prints or Drawings of such!?!?

It's kinda hard ti figure out even though a picture speaks a lotta words...
Old 01-14-2002, 02:54 AM

Reviews: 3

Iso. Booth

I'm not entirely sure why a blueprint would be needed... unless you want to go overly in depth. *Generally, the idea is to just make a box that deadens the sound, the more basic the design, the better the likelyhood for sucess. *Even though a better wood choice would probably have lead to less external noise, I'm very happy with the functionality of my iso-cab. *I'd say it quiets the amp by 1/2... meaning by closing the door, what you actually hear outside the box is 1/2 as loud as the sound coming out of the amp. *Thicker wood, better materials, more foam... and you can silence it a LOT more. *I will rebuild mine one day, but for now this works well.

pics as promised... to rehas the 1st one, the dimensions are approx H:36" x W:36" x D:24"

EDIT - things I would do different. *Wood: change to 1/2" plywood/particle board (IE - car subwoofer box)... glue all seals as well as use screws... maybe a couple more inches of depth for more mic room (change from 24" to 26" or something that small).

(Edited by jay ratkowski at 12:56 am on Jan. 14, 2002)
Old 01-14-2002, 05:29 AM

Iso. Booth

Well uhm... I want the blue prints... since it's not only building a Box... It's about building a Box inside that Box the original Box float in your room... also to make both your boxes airtight... No vibration leakage and no air leakage and you've got a dead on soundpoofing booth...

It's darn hard to choose materials and the right amount of it... so a Blue Print would be sufficient!!

Thanx Jay...

I'll see what I can do... :read: (You are what you read...) he he

I'll post pics later!!!
Old 01-23-2002, 06:01 PM

Iso. Booth

The best materials for something like this would be 3/4" or 1" MDF with silicone caulking around all the inside seams - it's what pro-level car audio installers use to make sealed subwoofer enclosures (definately not plywood &amp; glue!). The only difficult part of building something like this would be determining the perfect amount of airspace, as I'd assume your tone would change depending on the inside dimensions of the box.

- CQ7

(Newbie, Non-Jem Owner But I do Own an RG7620 and a handful of other 'guits)

(Edited by CQ7String at 12:38 pm on Jan. 23, 2002)

Tags
speaker cab, steve vai

Show/Hide Posting Rules